Oregon Coast Aquarium- worth my time???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Portland, then south to Northern Ca. Is it worth taking half a day to see the Oregon Aquarium considering that I live in Baltimore and have see the wonderful aquarium here? Thanks.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 03:08 PM

It's a good aquarium but I certainly don't think it's worth half a day. Watch the tsunami movie and look at some of the features of the Pacific coast compared to the Atlantic. Maybe an hour and a half.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 03:11 PM

I haven't seen the Baltimore Aquarium, but if you are going to Monterrey Calif. the aquarium there is fantastic.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:50 AM

It is a very good aquarium which probably has exhibits you can't see in Baltimore.

However, your question is impossible to answer: I'm going to San Diego and I want to know if it is worthwhile to go to the zoo there considering that I live in NYC and we have a wonderful zoo in the Bronx.

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:44 AM

The aquarium is a nice one. But I would just as soon spend a half day poking around the Newport waterfront, and tidepooling at nearby beaches, where you'll see many of the same creatures in their natural habitats.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Depends on how much time you have and what else you are doing. It is a very nice aquarium.

I've been to the National Aquarium in Baltimore, and they are quite different. The aquarium in Baltimore is indoors, in a multi-story building. The Oregon Aquarium is more open, where you walk outdoors between exhibit buildings - more natural, like zoos are these days. It is also focused on the Pacific, so is a good way to learn about the area you will be visiting. I think the Oregon Coast Aquarium is a gem and that you would enjoy it a lot if you visit. I'd also take in the Yaquina light house just north in Newport to learn more about the coast.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:41 AM

I'd take in the Rogue Brewery. I know hat's not in Bmore.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 01:15 PM

We have been several times to the Oregon Coast Aquarium, most recently this past summer. Yes, it is very nice and worth a couple of hours of your time. Explore Newport and Nye Beach, it's scenic and the working waterfront is fun. There is also a Wax Museum there that is fun to go through.

I would also check out Lincoln City, have a meal at the Blackfish Cafe there. Have a nice time! ***kim***