Oregon Coast -how long of a drive?

Old May 28th, 2004, 12:37 PM
je
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon Coast -how long of a drive?

Can anyone give me an idea how long it would take to drive from Cannon Beach down to Brookings?
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It's over 300 miles. With minimal stops I'd give it 6 1/2 - 7 hours, longer if (a) you stop for the plentiful gorgeous scenery, (b) you hit Lincoln City during the traffic season (roughly Feb-Nov) , (c) get behind a number of elephants on parade, aka RVs towing cars towing boats, or (d) encounter rust-promoting Oregon "sunshine" in quantity. Or multiples of the above.

Also (d) food, gas, and Ms. Nature's calls.
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Are you thinking of doing this in one day? In December we drove fourteen hours from Astoria, OR to central CA. It's tough, but it can be done!

Newport would be a nice central place to stop and look around. The lighthouses up and down the coast are also cool to stop and photograph.

I like to stop every four hours or so when we do long drives. ***kim***

Old May 28th, 2004, 05:17 PM

Just as a frame of reference--
AVERAGE speed along Oregon Coast is about 35-40 MPH. Of coarse a few places up to 50 but this
is balanced by 25-30 thru little towns and really scenic beaches. I know this is not the areas you referred to but we have gone rom Eureka CA
to Bandon OR many times and always planned on 4 hours.
The whole OR coast is so beautiful it is a shame you have to hurry...Along the way you will see signs for :Mo's--really good clam chower and reasonable prices and usually quick service..
Good luck
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:30 PM

If you really need to save time, you could skip the cost north of Lincoln City. Yes, you would miss stuff, but I think the center/southern Oregon coast is the most beautiful part. There is a section from Tillamook south to about Lincoln City where it's mostly inland, anyway.

Andrew
Old May 29th, 2004, 04:01 AM
je
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.

Kim - I think we'll probably plan on doing this in 2 days. Any places in Newport particularly recommended?
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:41 AM

Two days is a very good idea. We were satisfied with Elizabeth Street Inn. All rooms have ocean views and it's a short walk from historic Nye Beach--great for a walk.
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:05 AM

We really enjoyed the Hallmark Resort. It is an oceanfront resort and the restaurant Georgie's Grill is really good. It was reacently featured in Oregon Coast magazine.

We stayed there with all the kids and they loved the place. www.hallmarkinns.com if you are interested. Save some time to see the aquarium at Newport. We were fortunate enough to see Keiko before he was set free. That was really cool.

The historic waterfront in Newport is also fun. My kids loved the wax museum there. ***kim***