Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oregon coast: Accomadation in Astoria / Seaside and Eats

Mar 26th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

I'll be travelling from Seattle to San Francisco this coming weekend and I'm looking for recommendations on must see places along the oregon coast, economical hotel near Astoria or Seaside (should be clean and economical) and good places to eat along the way (road side fish n chips, reasonably priced seadfood etc.)

Thanks for your help!
Mar 26th, 2007, 04:19 PM

Is there any reason why you would not want to go a few miles farther and stay in Cannon Beach?

I just happen to like it better and there are so many good options for places to stay and eat..
This will also top our post and get more anwers for you ~
Mar 26th, 2007, 04:27 PM
mms

I too prefer Cannon Beach, but with it being spring break for Oregon, and for WA next week...many places will be full. You should start calling now to find a place to stay. Seaside and Astoria have more inexpensive options than CB, but I would try for CB first as it is much more desireable, IMO.

Mar 26th, 2007, 05:33 PM

Yikes! I forgot about Spring Break, everyone from California will be on their way up here for surfing and riding their bikes lol.

salman, if you have a hard time finding something available , look farther south, in the small towns like Arch Cape and Manzanita, maybe you will find something..good luck!!
Mar 26th, 2007, 05:42 PM
mms

LOL Scarlett The kids are home with me this week, so spring break is obvious to me. We are headed to the coast later this week....rain and all, lol!
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:59 AM

Hi salman, we have been on the Oregon Coast in the Astoria/Seaside area for awhile now. It's gorgeous here this week! You may want to consier the Tides by the Sea in Seaside, we stayed here last summer for 3 nights and enjoyed our time there, it is in a scenic area of Seaside, down by Ave U.

There is a little roadside fish market in Seaside we like called Bell Bouy for great seafood. In Astoria, we like the Ship Inn for amazing fish and chips. We had lunch at Clemente's on Sunday and were not that impressed with the quality of the food.

Where did you end up staying/eating? ***kim***
Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:03 AM

mark
Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM

If it is gorgeous out at the beach right now, I would suggest getting out there and enjoying it!
The weatherman says it is cold but obviously he does not read Fodors lol.
salman, you might be in luck though, we are getting predictionis of temps in the 70s in Portland, maybe the coast will warm up some by then too.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM

Scarlett, I think kimamom was so excited to post, she wrote her entire pseudo-trip-report-disguised-as-"advice" before realizing salman had already come and gone. Nice to read you're enjoying yourself though, kimamom. How long's "awhile"? And, how much longer will you be here?
Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:39 PM

Is it Spring Break this week for California schools?
Funny, I picture Portlanders, heading south to warmer sunnier beaches but not Californians driving up here for the cold damp unswimmable beaches.
beachbum, how was your weekend at the Coast?
Where was dinner ? Did you go to Gower St?
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:38 PM

It's hard to not have a good time at the coast, Scarlett, even in spite of getting wet and cold. Guess it's ALWAYS sunny in Seaside, though. ;-)

And I did have dinner at Gower St. Bistro.... in fact, stayed in the Cannon Beach Hotel, which shares the building. Neat place; very european, or I guess in your case, Buenos Airesian(?) But, I digress.... Gower St. is easily my favorite restaurant in town. Had lots of meals there, and never a bad experience. I think it's because it doesn't try to be something it's not. Which curiously, is unlike some of the people I saw dining there a few nights ago. :-"
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:51 PM

LOL, oh come on, do tell..

We are having dinner at Everett St Bistro tonight or tomorrow night, they always do things well too. The management must be very good ..