Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ideas for family group for 60th birthday celebration

Oct 18th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

We are looking to do something wonderful for about a week to 10 days for my dad's 60th birthday next August. My parents are 60, I have two sisters in their 20s, and then my husband and me (30) and our son who will be 19 months then. We were going to do a western European cruise but this is now out because my parents are just getting back this weekend from three weeks in Italy and are burned out on it. This is actually our issue - my dad (whose birthday we will be celebrating) hates packing and unpacking, requires top notch service, hates sitting around and just relaxing. He must do something - golf, hike, boat, history, explore, etc. every day. This is why I thought a cruise was a good idea but i am concerned about being in a small cabin with a 19 month old after just being in a hotel room for 3 days with a 9 month old. Ugh! So, I thought a resort somewhere, a villa rental that has staff, or still possible, a cruise, but ??? Oh, budget about $2500/person. Thanks.
Oct 18th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Im not the biggest fan - but what about Disney?
No moving around (no packing/unpacking), top-notch service (especially in the more expensive hotels), and plenty of stuff to do for all ages, and things to please everyone (including the parks, restaurants, golfing, and other stuff to do in orlando too).,
Oct 18th, 2006, 10:05 AM
TahitiTams

Come and stay in San Diego..weather is perfect in August and you can do the Hotel Del in Coronado or the Sea Lodge in La Jolla Shores or maybe L'Auberge in Del Mar..gorgeous beaches, golf and great restaurants..
Keep us posted!
hoteldel.com
ljbtc.com
laubergedelmar.com
georgesatthecove.com
torreypinesgolfcourse.com

Oct 18th, 2006, 10:11 AM
GoTravel

What about NYC?

Oct 18th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. keep the suggestions coming. We are from the NYC area, so have done most east coast destinations (including Nantucket/vineyard). Afraid FL will be too hot in August. California appealing. Maybe a villa rental in Hawaii (we have all been there, DH and I used to live there, but Hawaii is great all times of year) but want to do something different. really, am loving thinking of all the ideas.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:05 PM

How about Vancouver and Victoria. You could spend 5 days in Vancouver and then take the ferry over to Victoria and spend a few days exploring Vancouver Island. Or just spend the entire time in Vancouver and take a lot of day trips.