Oregon Camping with Kids

Search

Oregon Camping with Kids

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon Camping with Kids

We are planning a camping trip with a couple of friends this summer. I've only lived in Oregon a few years and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a campground. We all have kids between 2 and 5 years of age and we're looking for something picturesque near a lake, river or ocean. A playground would be nice too, but that's more of a "nice to have"

If you have a favorite Oregon camping spot, please help! This state is absolutely gorgeous and I know that there must be some breath-taking spots to pitch a tent (or 10).

Thank you!
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 04:50 PM

I'm surprised nobody has responded. I don't camp, but I know this campground is in a beautiful spot: http://www.oregonstateparks.org/imag...swest_full.pdf
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM

Neskowin is great with small kids, because you can hang out at the creek and escape the wind.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 05:03 PM

I love camping at Diamond Lake- close to Crater Lake- some of the camping sites have great views of the mountain across the lake- there is a great hiking/biking trail around the lake- you can walk to the Diamond Lake resort where there is a swimming area, paddle boats, swim raft- bike rentals available at store-

The downside is that sometimes there is a green algae on the lake so check before you go and sometimes the mosquitoes are bad. And of course Ct\rater Lake is close by.

Umqua Lighthouse Sate Park- you can rent a yurt - its on a lake stocked with fish, fun to go up to lighthouse at night-
The downside is all the ATV's on the dunes - but you might think that is fun

I will try to think of some more - gotta run off to "happy hour" now
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 09:17 PM

Another camp area I LOVE is the Metolius River area/ campsite along the river which you can hear all night- There is a fishery close by the kids might enjoy, its close to the town of Sisters and also Black Butte Resort where there are lots of biking trails, beautiful golf course-

Lots to see and do in the area.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 11:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Husband and I love the southern oregon coast. There is a real nice campground called Tugman state park. It has a playground area near the lake for the kids. The lake has a little hiking trail that runs around part of the lake. It is just on the other side of Highway 101. So about a three minute drive and you are at the beach on the other side of the highway. Very beautiful area. It is near the other posters suggestion of the Umpqua lighthouse area, but we found the beach great because the ATV's have to stay on the dunes and can't come down on the beach area so the beach itself is usually quiet once you drive past the ATV area. If you can get one of their yurts they are in a lot nicer, more private campsites than the ones at Umpqua lighthouse state park. Another suggestion is Silver Falls state park, nice hiking trails that lead to some beautiful waterfalls, and a nice swimming area for the kids. Very pretty area.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 08:31 AM

I agree with all the previous posts. There are so many great places to camp here!

Honeyman, on the coast, has what you are looking for too.

Our favorite area is outside of Bend. Elk Lake has a campground at the "resort" as well as a primitive one next door. South Twin Lake is nice too and great for families. Lots of boats and rafts to rent if you need.

Lost Lake near Mt. Hood is good.

Goose Lake in WA, in the general vicinity of White Salmon. This has a couple spots where large groups can gather.

Near Mt. Hood, Timothy Lake has quite a few campgrounds as well.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 09:41 AM

I must add, my suggestion was just for a beach, not camping, but I still remember trying to hike to beaches with the stroller and stuff. Not fun.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 08:01 PM

Fort Stevens State Park outside Astoria in far NW Oregon. It was full of families with small children.

www.oregonstateparks.org/park_179.php
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 01:56 PM

We love Umpqua Lighthouse State Park campground. Avoid Diamond Lake or the mosquitos will carry off the children...
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 03:06 PM

oregonmom- I have camped at Diamond Lake when there weren't any mosquitoes ( or very few) so guess it depends on what time of year and how that hatch is that year
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 01:21 PM

We live an hour down the N. Umpqua and when our friends go they get eaten alive. I was interested in your Metolius river camping, though. Tell me more...
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Well there are several campsites along the Metolius - they are close to an area called "Camp Sherman" where there is a small store, and several cabins and resorts. There is even a REALLY nice restaurant there just in case you dont do your own cooking some night.

Lots of nice hikes to do, bike trails around the area, close to Sisters and Black Butte -
If you are into hiking, I love the Canyon Creek Meadows hike.

Just a pretty area- and unfortunately, there are plans to build some "destination" resorts close by- people are fighting it and I havent recently read how that is going- but it would be a shame.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 01:58 PM

More on Metolius camping

http://www.hoodoo.com/metolius_area.htm
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

WOW! I'm amazed by the responses to my post. Thank you for all of your suggestions. There are so many awesome places that it's difficult to narrow it down. But we have an eager bunch of families who are all looking forward to taking a shot at camping with toddlers. I'm going to share this list with them and plan a couple of trips this summer. I'll let you know how it all goes. Thank you again!
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 05:35 PM

One spot that nobody mentioned was Paradise Park along the McKenzie River. It's a small quiet campground, but the noise of the river means that you don't hear other folks (and they don't hear your kids when they wake up at o-dark-thirty). Our site (#19) had its own little private beach on the river where my kids loved to throw rocks. The water's so cold that you don't have to worry about kids getting in any further than ankle-deep. You can watch rafters float by, too (although I wouldn't advice throwing those rocks at them).

For what it's worth...