Search

Blue Lake Jefferson Co. Oregon

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Lake Jefferson Co. Oregon

Hi,
I'm interested in finding information about Blue Lake, the one near sisters. Would like to do some camping, fishing and swimming with small children if appropriate.

Thank you
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:51 PM

I don't know that Blue Lake has camping anymore. There used to be a "resort" there where you could rent small fishing boats, but I believe that's gone to. Closest camping to Blue Lake that I'm aware of is at Suttle Lake, which is practically next door. And I do know that, besides being nice for swimming, they do rent canoes, kayaks, and/or pedal boats there.

Just read your previous thread, where Suttle Lake was also recommended. Is there a reason you're looking elsewhere? Not a lake, but you might consider campgrounds along the Metolius River, downstream from Camp Sherman.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Do you know if suttle lake allows motorized boats? We are trying to avoid that.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Passerbye is right, there isn't much as Blue Lake anymore. Scout Lake, which is just across the road (not the highway, but the small road that goes to Blue Lake) from Suttle is a place that we always swam as kids when we camped at Suttle.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 03:59 PM

Suttle definitely allows motorized boats. Clear Lake does not, and isn't too far from Suttle. Another place is South Twin Lake, outside of La Pine. South Twin is actually a great place for swimming, fishing and camping.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 04:14 PM

Yes, as mms said, Suttle Lake does allow motorized boats. But they have posted speed limits in various areas around the lake, particularly near any swimming areas. Years ago, I remember a boat I was in being stopped for exceeding the speed limit. After a gentle warning and making sure we had enough life-jackets, the patrol boat pilot said he figured we hadn't seen the posted speed limit, and might not have stopped us except that he liked blowing his "sireeeeen".