Reload this Page >

Orcas Island lodging????

Search

Orcas Island lodging????

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 04:24 AM
cedar

Orcas Island lodging????

Can anyone recommend lodging that is nice but, affordable on the Orcas Island?
Thanks!

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 07:01 AM
sheri

What's your definition of affordable (price range)? When are you coming (rates vary greatly by season)? Are you a couple or a family? Do you like B&Bs?

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 09:55 AM
John

Dear Cedar:
The Old Trout Inn
5272 Orcas Rd.
Eastsound, WA 98245
1-360-376-8282
FAX 1-360-376-3626
is a bit more reasonably priced than most island accommodations. You can get info at www.oldtroutinn.com

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 03:02 PM
cedar

Thanks, John!
We are planning on middle May and we are a couple.
I like B & B's but, my husband snores and I don't think that would work!

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 05:10 PM
John

Dear Cedar:
I, too, snore at times (as my wife tells me, though I have yet to hear it myself). But I have found B&Bs (and their patrons) to be a lot more tolerant of snorers than thin-walled motels and their guests.
Orcas is so laid back, that even the loudest snorer will most likely be tolerated (but teased).

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 07:57 AM
sheri

Cedar, you might ask at the Old Trout about their Anchorage Inn accommodations, which are kind of a cross between B&B rooms and condos, with separate entrances and water views. They also have a separate stand-alone cottage at the Old Trout that might work for you (although it is one of their more expensive rooms. You still didn't give an idea of your price range, BTW).

Another moderately priced B&B along the same lines as the Old Trout is the Otters Pond B&B.

If you decide you'd prefer a motel, try the Cascade Harbor Inn. It shares the same waterview and great location as Rosario Resort but it's much, much less expensive. It's not fancy, but the rooms are clean and comfortable. In May, they might still be offering off-season rates.

Sheri

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 08:17 AM
Diane

I vote for the Anchorage Inn! My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights last July and it was awesome. There is a website with pictures of the rooms. We especially enjoyed the hot tub and sipping wine as an eagle flew by. The breakfast basket delivered each morning was great and contained the biggest fresh raspberries I've ever seen. I'd also recommend eating at Balboa's? a mexican restaurant in Eastsound that has outdoor seating. When we stayed at Anchorage Inn, it was owned by the same people who own The Old Trout Inn but I
believe they were putting the Old Trout Inn up for sale and were building their home closer to the Anchorage Inn. If you want any more info regarding this, let me know and I can dig in my files at home.

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 08:39 AM
John

The restaurant is called "Bilbo's Festivo." It's one of the islanders' favorites.

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 12:24 PM
elaine

cedar,

My husband (also a snorer) and I stayed at Turtleback Farm Inn. A very lovely property. I know they have a website and it should list their rates.

Will second 'Bilbo's Festiva'.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 11:12 PM
ian

Cedar

You lucky thing! I'd sell my mother to get back to Orcas! We stayed at the Cascade Harbor Inn (see their website at www.cascadeharborinn.com their rates are included) during january at their dscounted winter rates - 25% off winter rates! As Australians on a seven week trip we had a budget but were very pleased with our accomodation. The Rosario Resort is next door if you want to do the vice regal thing, and the sunrise from the balcony is the same whichever resort you stay at (PERFECT).

Orcas is a prime memory of a wonderful holiday in the Pacific North West. Moran State Park is very close to Cascade Harbor Inn and well worth the drive/hike if the weather is nice (and still fun if it's not). Obstruction Pass Beach is also worth the hike.

One word of warning - eat early! We had trouble finding anywhere open after about 8.30pm (although we were there in the quiet season).

There is also a great Asian Take-Out place in the centre of town. It looks like a backyard kitchen (white fairy lights etc) and the menu is limited, but the food was fantastic! My partner rated it as the best Asian he'd eaten. We wanted to stay another night just to go back and eat again!

Lucky you!

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 03:47 AM
cedar

Thanks so much for the info..!
My sons from Portland have decided to join us..so, I think the Cascade Harbor Inn will be perfect..
Same view...less $$$...I love that!