Reload this Page >

Orbitz is making me scream!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Wendy

So I'm on Orbitz trying to buy a flight from Seattle to Philly in 2 weeks. It gives me all these great prices and then everytime I pick one to book it says "The airline has increased this fare since you made your selection." and it's gone from $380 to over $1200! what the .......

I'm choosing the flight the minute it retrieves it from it's search, not more than a minute.

Anyone else have this happen? Suggestions?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:27 PM
nina

Are you sure this is Orbitz and not Expedia?? I had the same exact thing happen on Expedia, with the same exact message! Increased the flight price from $ 440 to $ 1,100!!! Talk about bait and switch.

It's a good thing I don't keep a bat near the computer, I was ready to smash it!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:32 PM
xxx

Call Orbitz. I had the same thing happen and took care of it over the phone.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Wendy

Yes I am definatley on Orbitz, I will try calling them. Thanks for the tip!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:34 PM
nina

Did they give you the low price, or was the price a mistake?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Kath

Was the fair you were trying to buy with AA? I was getting that from the AA website last week. I'm watching the fares like a hawk, see one I want to buy, click on it and I'd get this "The fare has changed from $500 to $2500. What would you like to do?" Throttle someone was not a choice. Its like the fares don't really exist or something. I found this to happen only during the week day. Its weird, but I think that ticket pricing has as much to do with when you buy it as when you go. I find the best fares when I'm searching on the weekends. Just my observation. Others probably have different experiences.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:39 PM
xxx

Nina, they customer service rep gave me the lower price over the phone. My PC hardware at the time was running a lot slower than Orbitz or some other mumbo jumbo.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:40 PM
rudy'o

orbitz owes me $45, and those cheapskapes won't pay up. Probably run by a bunch of locals!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Wendy

I'm on hold...... trying to book a flight on continental..... and what the heck is Philly international vs. Philly Rail? arrrgggggg........

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Jan

Maybe Orbitz sometimes uses some time of "batch" vs. "real time" info processing? The computer gives you a price that it has in memory and when it goes to book, the new one is all that's left.

I hope that in 2002 this isn't the case, but...

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Wendy

Well that was a huge waste of time. The rep was totally RUDE to me, I found out that Philly Rail is actually the train from Newark (how is that considered air?) and they pretty much said too bad on the fares changing.

I will check on the weekends to see if I can find better pricing and preferably on another site like Expedia.

Thanks all!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 01:00 PM
James

Wendy, Continental has worked out a "code-share" agreement with Amtrak. All "flights" from Newark (EWR) to Philadelphia are now booked on a train. The train station at EWR is a short monorail ride from the terminals. You can still fly into Philadelphia (PHL) on Continental from Houston (IAH) or Cleveland (CLE).

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 01:00 PM
James

Oops, sorry. I guess you replied while I was posting....

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Kelli

Kelly, are you booking a full 14 days in advance? The airlines recently became MUCH stricter about this. Sounds like Orbitz is quoting the excursion fare, then the airline systems say NO WAY because of the dates. Just a thought.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Lori

Try doing a flight into Newark or even JFK. Maybe it will be much cheaper. Philly is sometimes higher.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:30 PM
aaa

Have you thought about trying a real live travel agent -- their rates are the same as ORBITZ or EXPEDIA--

I was quoted a price on Orbitz and it left out all the taxes till I went to purchase--turned out it was the same price my agent could get me and I didn't have to hassle with the computer....

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:48 PM
nina

When I've booked through Orbitz it's always included the taxes, that's why I prefer it and Expedia over Travelocity (they don't add on the tax until the last minute).

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Pb

I use Travelocity, Orbitz, and Expedia only for finding the fare. Then , I go to the airlines' website and book directly with them. I don't trust booking through something else.pb