Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Booking a flight for a price on ItaSoftware.com?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This a repost from the United States forum. Sorry about the double post, but I just realized that there's an airline forum. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to fly to NYC from Kansas City on June 24 for a few days. Airfare is unusually high ($400-500 for the times I need) I think because there are few seats available on the 24th. I've using ItaSoftware.com to check prices throughout the day. Twice today I've seen the price drop to about $250 for 4-6 different flight combinations. I immediately went to Orbitz to book the flight. Orbitz did have the flights listed for the same price as Itasoftware, but when I tried to book it, it said the price was no longer available. The second time I saw the low prices on Itasoftware, I went to Orbitz and called the airline directly at the same time. I thought I would start the process of booking the flights both ways, and hopefully be able to book it one fo the ways. The same thing happenned at Orbitz as before, and by the time I was able to talk to a person at the airline that fare wasn't available. I did also check the airlines website to book it that way, but the lower price never showed up there at all.

After that long story, my question is, when I do see a low price on ITASoftware, is it actually possible to book it for that price? I figure it's either A) a glitch with ITASoftware, and Orbitz, and the airfare should not be listed for that low price, or B)The airline releases just a few tickets at a low price, but by the time I've tried to get them someone else has already purchased them.

If the airline really does release just a few at a time, does anyone know of a faster way to book the flight? It would be nice if there were some sort of automatic booking procedure, where I give my credit card number, and say if the price of the tickets drops below a certain amount it's automatically purchased. But as far as I know, nothing like this exists.

Any tips or advice? Thanks!

BTW, the airline that I was trying to book with is Northwest. I'm willing to fly any airline though!
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>B)The airline releases just a few tickets at a low price, but by the time I've tried to get them someone else has already purchased them.</i>

Bingo.

Also, ITA updates its fares periodically during the day, but it's not instant - they get feeds from the GDS servces (Sabre et al) just like the Orbitzes do. The cycles might just be different.

I would not rely on Orbitz for something this time-sensitive. I'd call the airlines right away and tell them you've seen the fare on ITA, and be able to cite the precise fare basis, shown on the &quot;booking details&quot; so they can look for that specific fare bucket. A friendly CSR might be willing to quote a slightly higher fare that's available, rather than just saying no, call back.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gardyloo. That's kind of what I figured. As soon as I saw the lower airfare, I tried to book it on Northwest's website. Their website never showed a lower price, but Orbitz did so I tried to book it there. That didn't work either. I tried calling Northwest, but the customer service rep said that fare was no longer available. I didn't think to call back and talk to another rep. I'll definitely try that if I see another low price, and I hope that I do!

Can the customer service rep override the prices that show up on their screens? When the rep initially told me that price was no longer available, I told her I had the booking codes to get that price if that made a difference. She said it wouldn't matter because she could see every available price. Was she right? Thanks again!
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 06:57 PM

I'm sure she can see every available price, but whether she'll make the effort to look deeply, vs. getting to the next call - well, the call center managers don't like people taking too long per transaction, especially if there's no sale.

I think your best bet is to be ready to pounce. Also I strongly suggest the likes of site59.com or other last-minute services. And one more thing - use the &quot;radius&quot; commands on ITA - don't forget that Hartford and Philadelphia are not terrible for access into NYC, in addition to JFK, LGA and EWR.

And yes, the first rule in dealing with airline phone reps is to phone back if you don't get the answer you want.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

I am so ready to pounce! I'm becoming obsessive with checking airfare prices. By the radius commands on ItaSoftware, do you mean to have it check other airports with a certain number of miles? I'm definitely doing that...I'm looking mostly at LGA, JFK, EWR and White Plains. I've looked at Philadelphia, but I hadn't thought about Hartford...I'll look into it.

I've been keeping an eye on site59.com, which I just learned about on this board. The problem is that it's a package deal, so any savings are offset by having to book a car or hotel. Do you know of any good last minute sites where you can purchase airfare only?

Thanks again! I really appreciate all of the help!
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:37 PM

The packages on site59.com can often be helpful, even if you just toss away the hotel or rental car. Especially if there are 3 or 4 of you, and the rate only include one car. But since you're going alone, you'll spending more.

As for last minute air tickets, all airlines publish last minute weekend fares on usually Wednesdays for flights 3 days later. You can wait to see if you are lucky that one of the airlines will have a KC - NYC special. I won't hold my breath.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 08:28 PM

Was just looking and can see $285 on Continental to Newark, provided you return on 6/29 or 7/1, around $300 for 6/28. If you return on Fri. 30th it goes to over $400 (4th of July long-long weekend getaway.) I checked on continental.com and would be able to ticket it if I wanted...
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 08:37 PM

Yeah, please go book on CO now. Also about $283 returning 4/27.

All non-stops to EWR.

Problem solved.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 08:38 PM

And oh boy... Long 3-hour flights on a ERJ.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information on those flights Gardyloo and Rkkwan. I saw that last night as well, and they're great prices. The only problem is the flight doesn't in Newark until 8:50 pm. Even if the flight is on time and I only have carry-on, I'd miss most of the party. (My sister and her husband have to little kids, so this will not be an all-night affair.) Sorry to be so complicated...I wouldn't have thought it would be so difficult to find a decently priced flight that arrives into ANY New York airport before 7pm. Guess I was wrong.

I'll keep on looking, but I'm certainly not holding my breath. I really appreciate the help! Thanks again!!!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:13 AM

I'm sorry, but you're wasting our time, KCGirl, and your own. If you have such specific needs - like flying into NYC by a specific time on 6/24, but can only fly on that day - then forget about using the packages or last minute deals. Gardyloo kept working on this and found you the CO deal, and you couldn't do it.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 08:49 AM

I am looking at the Site59.com packages for the 6/24 weekend. Prices are even higher than those for the 6/17 weekend, so your chance of getting last minute cheap airfare is even slimmer.