Opinion on DC Crowds

Search

Opinion on DC Crowds

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion on DC Crowds

We are planning a family trip to DC for next April 16-22. The Cherry Blossom Festival is earlier in the month so I miss those crowds. But, this is the week before Easter. Will we see a slight decrease in crowds or should I plan for a REALLY REALLY crowded week?

I don't want to take my kids, 11&12 out of school so this is pretty much the only week available.

Thanks all!
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 04:55 AM

Expect the city to be mobbed with a lot of other kids out of school.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 06:06 AM

Not all schools close for that week, so I'd guess crowds a bit smaller than usual for Easter because this year it is outside the Cherry Blossom season.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 06:22 AM

Yes, it will be crowded as that week is generally Spring Break for the D.C. area schools in addition to any other schools around the country. But, I don't think you'll find it so crowded that you should skip visiting at that time. (Just plan ahead and arrange for tickets/admission to such things as the Washington Monument, National Archives, U.S. Capitol tours, etc.) In addition, the weather should be very nice then which will make your sightseeing all the more pleasant.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 06:41 AM

As longhorn 55 says, planning ahead will avoid any significant issues. You can book ahead online for many key attractions, including:

Capitol tour
National Archives
Washington Monument
Ford's Theater
IMAX shows at Air and Space and Natural History
Planetarium show at Air and Space
Spy Museum
Holocaust Museum
Mount Vernon

It's also not all that hard in DC to avoid the tourist crowds as they are generally concentrated right in the Mall area and Penn Quarter. If you plan in advance you can often just walk a couple of blocks in the right direction, or stay on the Metro a few extra stops, or drive a little ways if you have a car, and you'll be among the locals.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. The tour requests have been made and those that can be booked by me have also been made. The crowds aren't going to stop us, just wanted to get a feel for it.

Thanks again, we are really looking forward to our trip!
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM

In general, DC is crowded from Cherry Blossoms until past Labor Day. Lots of school trips, etc. Things are a little less crowded at the end of August (too hot, school's started, Congress is gone) but it's pretty packed then entire time.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 12:49 PM

I live on the border of DC and Maryland, and during the Cherry Blossom Festival is the only time where I literally wont' even go downtown, it is so crowded on the metro and everywhere. I've never noticed Easter as anything special compared to all the other times tourists may come in nice weather (which is all summer and other times).