Notices

Only in White Mountain, NH for 1 day

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only in White Mountain, NH for 1 day

We will be driving from Boston to the White Mountains area in early Oct. and will have only one day there. We're trying to see the most scenery in that time (live in Fla. and never been that far North).
There's so many options -- Cog train, scenic rail, auto road, gondola... Hard to tell what we should do.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 09:23 PM

I did not care for the Cog railroad trip. We went on a perfectly clear summer day so the views were good but we had very little time at the top. If you want a guaranteed seat you have to go back on the return trip. Pay attention to temperatures at the top you may want to bring a hat and gloves as well as a jacket. The drive up Rt 93 will be pretty scenic! If you take off on Rt 3 and drive thru Meredith, head around Lake Winnipesaukee and then go off to Center Sandwich you will see some wonderful views. I would opt for a scenic ride that gives the driver a break. Maybe a cruise on Lake W. Take a visit to Castle in the Clouds.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 04:40 AM

There is so much to see in the Whites. A lot will depend on the weather. If it's a perfectly clear day, try and do the Mt. Washington Auto road (get there early it will be very busy). This is an unforgettable drive. Also, try and drive the Kankamangus highway, which is a 2 lane blacktop that winds thru some of the most impressive scenery in the northeast. There are dozens of pullovers that lead to hiking trails, lookouts, waterfalls, etc. Just be prepared for lots of leaf peeper traffic this time of year.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even think of Lake Winnipesaukee. I'll need to do some more research!

I'd read that there's a van that'll take you on the auto road (so my dh and I can both enjoy the views). Does anyone know if it's worth it?

Also, is there anything else in that area that's a must see or must do?
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 10:12 AM

See http://www.mountwashingtonautoroad.com/autorates.html
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 10:26 AM

During early October, I'd opt for the White Mountains, rather than Lake W.

My recommendation would be to head north on I-93 all the way to Route 302 east, which goes through Bretton Woods and Crawford Notch, over to Route 16 north (where you can catch the Van up Mt. Washington), then west on Route 2, back over to Route 3 south to I-93 and on back to Boston. This route will reward you with breaktaking scenery through many of the stunning notches.

You'd want to get an early start, as the entire route is about seven hours with no stops.

The better bet is to drive the scenic routes yourselves, stopping in charming towns, doing a bit of dining and shopping, just getting out of the car for photo ops.

The best way to enjoy the scenery and foliage is by driving all over, rather than visiting "viewing" attractions like the scenic rail, gondola, van up Mt. Washington. (Those are all just fine if you have lots of time and a number of days to spend in the area.)
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 10:43 AM

I agree with many of the suggestions offered, particularly avoiding the Lake Winnepesaukee area in favor of the White Mts. Lake W. is magnificent and worth another trip, but for a one day visit, you should not miss the spectacular beauty of the White Mountains. Drive along the Kangamaugus as one of the writers suggested. You will not see anything like
in the northeast.