New Hampshire- Castle in the Clouds??

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Hampshire- Castle in the Clouds??

We will have only two full days in New Hampshire next weekend, and as we're traveling all the way from Texas to see "Fall," I really want to make these 2 days worthwhile. I think Saturday we'll head to Stowe, VT for the fall festival... Sunday it was suggested to visit Castle in the Clouds for some hiking and great scenery. We do have a half day Monday... Can anyone comment? (BTW, we're staying near Grantham)
TIA!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Anyone??? Is this a worthwhile day trip?
TIA!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:40 PM

I know Vermont & NH together aren't as big as Texas, but the trip from Grantham to Stow is about 2 hours minimum, from Grntham to Castle in the clouds will take you also about 2 hours of driving. And that's without stopping, you'll want to stop a lot to walk in the woods and collect the leaves. The air is crisp and walking/hiking is wonderful this time of year.

My suggestion would be to drive north to Lincoln and through the White Mountain National Forset along the Kacamangus Highway (highway is a misnomer because this is a small 2 lane winding road through the mountains). This is one of the most beautiful drives in NE.

This if farther north than the Castle but you'll be driving through some spectacular mountains with the colors of fall they are gorgeous.

I hope you have a great time in my home state of NH

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm... major bummer about Stowe being so far away! That sounded right up our alley!
Does the White Mountain National Forest have good hiking trails? (We don't really have that where I live!!!) I'm assuming they do. Can you suggest a great town to stop in for lunch and/or walking around? Or will we have many options as we make the drive?
What about Lake W (I'm not even going to attempt to spell it!) Would it be worthwhile to spend time along the lake? Thanks for your suggestions!
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:06 AM

C in C is on north end of Lake W with
good vantage points. Second the recommendation tho for the Kangamangus
Highway from Lincoln to Conway with
great vistas of the Pemigiwasset wilderness, roadside river/rocks and fairly easy hiking trails like Nancy
Pond/Brook and Arethusa Falls. There's
also a b&b on the route -- reserve ahead since it's prime leaf-peeper time in the North Country where color is now
at height -- in Southern Maine and coastal NH very very little, if any
real color yet. Just outside Lincoln
is also Polar Caves, touristic, if fun, rock formations, and The Flume closer to Franconia/home of Garnet Hill, purveyor of upmarket linens/clothing
which has a 'factory store'. If you
head from Conway to North Conway, there's a gauntlet of brand name factory outlets as well.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:15 AM

I live near Stowe. I have relatives coming from the midwest. I'm driving right past the Stowe exit and taking them to the White Mountains National Forrest instead. I take
all visitors to the Flume at the Forrest
and drive around that area. Personally I'd skip Stowe.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! Looks like we'll skip Stowe and head for White Mountains Nat'l Park...
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 07:55 AM

The hiking in the National Forest is incredible. The trails are well marked and often follow along streams and ridges with wonderful views of the mountains and valleys. You'll love it.

Make sure to take a enough water with you, there are few water sources along these routes.

Welcome and have a great visit.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

That sounds great!!!! Any clue how long it will take us to get from Grantham to WMNF? TIA!
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 03:22 AM

Concord NH to Littleton is 84 miles. Littleton is slightly north of the WMNF. Your problem is the extra time it will take from Grantham to Rt 93 which goes thru the mountains. There is no direct route.Maybe an hour from Grantham to Rt 93 and then maybe 15 minutes on 93 to the beginning of the WMNF. I would suggest heading south on Rt 89 to Rt 11 then 4 to rt 104. Rt 104 continues to Lake W/Meredith. It also connects to Rt 93 or simply take Rt 3, the older, slower route north thru the mountains. The Flume provides a nice hike thru a gorge for a fee. There a free hiking trails but the Flume is worth it. I have only hiked the Arethusa Falls trail once, it's lovely ending (for me) at a waterfall. I didn't have the energy on a hot day to continue hiking to the view. Dress appropriately. It's been rainy lately. Wear shoes/boots with a good tread on them (not worn out running shoes).
If you want outlet shopping, Tanger outlet mall in Tilton is much closer but expect heavy traffic in that area. Conway area will be stop and go, too. The tram ride up Cannon Mountain would be fun too.
Hope you'll post a trip report about where you go.