Only fodorites would understand

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only fodorites would understand

I just got my SW rapid rewards tix to Oakland for October. Reserved 3 nights at Calderwood Inn B&B in Sonoma and 3 nights at Inn on Union Square in SF.

DH only moderately enthusiastic and I am on adrenaline high!

I knew you would understand my need to tell....
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:28 AM

rncheryl, That sounds wonderful! I would be excited too. Perhaps DH will get more enthusiastic as the time gets closer. (And please ignore the comment about SW).
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:35 AM

Good for you! I'm sure you'll have a great trip.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:43 AM

I too know the excitment when a travel plan falls into place. Have a great trip.

-Bill
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM

wtm003...wow, great minds and at the same time lol.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:08 PM

rncheryl

I have been goofy for weeks over scoring FF tickets to France next May. I can't get DH to show a modicum of interest, and it is really starting to P^## me off.

At least your DH is moderately enthusiastic! Mine has developed a bad habit, caused by me, I'm sure: he comes along, enjoys everything immensely, and is a delight to travel with, but he give ZERO input to planning. Grrrr

A friend of mine used to relish every detail of planning and we would call one another for "consultations" all the time. He sadly passed away, and now I look to Fodorites to share my enthusiasm.

I am very excited for you. I love Sonoma and SF. My 86 year old father, who has been married to my mother for over 63 years, teases her all the time by saying he is running off and moving to Sonoma. It is a great little place and perfect for exploring the surrounding areas.

And SF is always a great time. I was there once in the middle of a horrible family feud that ended with lasting separations among our extended family. And I still think fondly of the trip!

Good for you!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:34 PM

RNCheryl, glad to hear about your upcoming travel plans. Great time to visit a great destination!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Hi rncheryl, you will have a wonderful trip, Sonoma Valley and SF..how could you not! If your husband is like some fellows I know he will get enthusiastic the day of the trip. I have friends that always have that problem, lol. At least he is willing to travel, I have a few friends that spouses will not even take any trips, at least via airplanes. Enjoy the anticipation of your vacation!!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:49 PM

So what I want to know is, Is it "r n cheryl" or "m cheryl"? I typed both in the search field to see how they looked, and they are remarkably similar. I'm going with "r n cheryl," though.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM

tuscon - did you have any luck with the France tix? I am having problems getting to London. I think we will have to go Phila - Toronto - Heathrow. (Would have greatly preferred PHL direct to Gatwick!)

I do ALL the travel planning for our vacations. I do like to do it, but sometimes I'll ask my husband's opinion and he half-listens. He makes all his own business travel arrangements (he books his own air and hotels) and he says its great to just go on a trip and know he didn't have to do any of the "work". I guess we've been on enough trips that he trusts my opinion. He's the frequent flier, but I'm the one who reads flyertalk, etc!

rncheryl - congrats! I get really excited about stuff like this, too!!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Congrats, rncheryl!! It's so nice when things work out, isn't it? I wish you and your DH a wonderful trip!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to y'all. And it is RN Cheryl, as in nurse...

As for SW: the price is right, they fly where we want to go and have never been bumped/lost luggage,etc.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Just got back from a conference with attendees flying from all corners of the US and heard tales of woe regarding lost or delayed luggage, delayed flights, etc. Not a single SW flyer had a problem. Lots of SW raving going on. Wish SW flew out of my home airport.

Let's see - good rates, good service, few problems. If that makes them the "Greyhound of the Skies" maybe that's a good thing.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 02:15 PM

After my last experience with Alaska Airline (trip to Portland, OR) Southwest looks fantastic, lol. Same with flying to S CA..United makes SW look wonderful also.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Great news, cheryl. I am looking forward to your trip report! Have a ball.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats! I just scored FF tickets to Grand Cayman for next summer (I know... already!!!)
MY DH was like okay great. I guess he is getting used to traveling with all of the planning done by me too! He racks up the points at hotels and airlines and then I plan the free trips. As a matter of fact, he can be rather chintzy about paying for one. LOL!!

So, yes I know the high that follows the initial planning. Now that your plans are set in stone, where to dine, what to see, etc..... OH the joy of planning!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 02:53 PM

rncheryl,

What could be more gratifying to a travel addict that a frequent flyer ticket!

We and three other couples all have Sky Saver tickets on Delta to Amsterdam in October. When we all were able to book the same flights, we had a grand celebration.

I do indeed know how you feel...have a wonderful trip!

Byrd

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Good for you nurse Cheryl! I think SW Air is great, and understand the RR rush. I think Sonoma is great. My H wasn't in a hurry to get to wine country when we went but when we got there he absolutely loved it. It was one of our best trips.
Enjoy.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 03:26 PM
P_M

Congrats, mcheryl!! I have just returned from a trip to Portland where I used my SW freebie. Not sure why, but it's so much more fun traveling on a freebie.

When I was a kid living in northern Oklahoma my sister and I used to ride Greyhound to visit the grandparents in Dallas. We thought this was really cool to ride the bus without adults. We had another grandmother in Houston and getting there was a much longer trip, but thank God that SW Air expanded it's service into Tulsa so flying became affordable. So that was our plan--we to/ok the Greyhound to visit the grandparents in Dallas, and flew SW to visit grandma in Houston. What great memories!!

And let's not forget how helpful Greyhound was to many people in the days following 9/11. We hope and pray the planes will never be grounded again for any reason, but if that should happen, I'm glad Greyhound is still there for us.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 03:28 PM

First of all, rncheryl (you notice I didn't call you mcheryl this time!), that sounds like a wonderful trip! I suspect your DH will get more entusiastic as the time approaches.

Secondly, Greyhound figures prominently in some of my best childhood memories. Every year, a few weeks before Christmas and a few weeks before Easter, on a Saturday, my mother and I would take the Greyhound in to St. Louis for the day to shop at Famous-Barr and Stix, Baer and Fuller.Those trips were magic to me for many reasons. Not the least of which was that it was something we always did together, just the two of us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -