One Week with a rental car

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Week with a rental car

Hello, I am sure there are lots of options for this question but I know some of you will give great answers. We are spending a week in Anaheim and doing all the usual things. Disney, Universal and Sea World. We have rented a car for our second week and would like to know where we should go to get the best bang for our buck. We are thinking of heading up to the Monteray area or even just going into the Palm Springs area and exploring from there. A year ago we did Jousha Park so need to go back. Any and all suggestions will be looked at. We do have the car for 7 days but would like to be back at LAX on the 6th night.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:55 AM

When is this trip? I don't think of a lot of exploring to do from Palm Springs (other than off to Joshua Tree which you've already done) and if you're talking about in the hot weather, I'd avoid the desert anyway.

I do think heading north makes the most sense, driving through Big Sur and spending some time in Carmel or Monterey. Santa Barbara is a nice stop, and also Hearst Castle and the coast along there.

You mention Sea World. Does that mean you're going to San Diego too, or am I out of touch and there's also a Sea World in Anaheim?
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
a few suggestions:

1) re-post w/ a better title. "One Week with a rental car" could be asking anything about anywhere in teh country

2) when you re-post - tells us when the trip is. Makes a HUGE difference where you might want to go

Do I understand that you are doing Disney/Universal/Sae World w/o a car and only afterwards are picking up your rental. That doesn't make too much sense IMHO. You don't need a car for Disney since you are staying in Anaheim. But Universal and Sea World? I assume you are taking buses or tours to them. Driving yourselves would be a lot less expensive - and since you'll have a car later on anyway I'd just extend the rental to cover all (or most) of the trip
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 08:38 AM

I'd skip the desert and head up #1 to Big Sur. I'd get a book on the Calif. missions and see everyone I could..including San Diego... they are an interesting and different part of US history. It would be ideal if you could arrange your flight to return from SF or San Jose... rather than back track. Certainly the Pacific coast is more interesting than Palm Springs.....
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the suggestions. Yes we will head up the coast and explore that area. Sorry I didn't give enough info. We are doing this trip in Sept. The got a really great package for the Anaheim part and it includes all transfers so there is no need for a car then. Thankyou. Wendy
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:31 AM

I think you gave enough info, wengod. And I agree that up the coast is the way to go--more gorgeous and varied scenery and weather than in the desert, especially since you've been to Joshua Tree (so cool). Post again if you have more questions, and happy trails!
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:46 AM

I'm still curious about Sea World. Is there one in Anaheim or nearby now???
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:55 AM
TheWeasel

I'm sure google.com would have answered your question by now.

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:57 AM

No, there is only a SeaWorld in San Diego. But one may purchase a bus transport package along with the 3-park CityPass. Hence you do not need a car.

It's about 1 to 1-1/2 hours each way from Anaheim to San Diego. It isn't that unusual for people who live in LA/OC or San Diego to day-trip to the other city.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

No there is no Seaworld in Anaheim but because we got great transfers it makes sense. It is a 11 hour day but let's face it someone else is doing the driving. We will enjoy that day and go on to bigger and better things.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 04:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It'll be blazing hot if you head out to Palm Springs.

I'd head up the coast, 2 nights in Santa Barbara.....then up to Monterey.....depends on the ages of the kids I guess.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 04:46 PM

I would choose between Santa Barbara/San Luis Obispo and Monterey area. I personally would pick SB/SLO since you can go to some nice beaches there etc.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 04:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Now that we know you are traveling in September -- I agree w/ everyone else. Head up the coast. Sept/early Oct is about the very best time of year to visit the central coast. Definitely avoid Palm Springs - Sept is still VERY hot in the desert.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again.. We will head up the coast. Looking forward to the Heart Castle and the beautiful scenery. I do hope there are hotels that are within a decent budget to be have. We have always stayed at Ecno Logdes or the makings of a motel 6. Just clean accomodations and easy highway access. Wendy
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:34 PM

When I did that trip a few years back, I stayed at Econo Lodges etc along the way. You can definitely do this relatively cheap if you look around for deals.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:37 AM

FYI the Motel 6 in San Simeon isn't bad if you get that far on Day one.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Howard Johnson on Munras in Monterey is good budget accomodation.

Marina Beach Motel in Santa Barbara, or the Days Inn is acceptable.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Many many thanks to you all. This is going to make our trip this much better. Wendy