One week in Newport RI during August

Old Jul 31st, 2010, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One week in Newport RI during August

Hi

We are looking at Newport as our next family holiday destination during early august 8th to 13th). We will travel with a 10 and 15 year old and our dog a Great Dane. For now I have booked Motel 6 considering the proximity to marina/downtown and their pet policy.

Kids want beaches and we want photo locations ( being photographers by profession ). I understand not all beaches permit dogs during this time of the year. Any suggestions on this? Since we plan to stay 5 days I am looking at suggestions on “Things to do” in Newport and neighboring area for instance Jamestown, Block Island etc.

Thanks
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 05:27 AM

If you really like historic mansions, you could easily spend most all your time just in Newport. Most people find that 2 or 3 mansions per day is about all they can process, as there's a lot to see at each. There are beach areas in Newport, but I don't think you'll find any that are dog-friendly.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 08:16 AM

I was working in Newport some years ago, and one of the best restaurants I've ever been to was SALAS. I don't know if it's still around, but if it is, it's worth a try.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 05:49 PM

Great Dane huh? Good luck with that.

http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/tr...INewport.shtml
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:39 AM

Both state parks in Jamestown allow dogs on leashes and will be scenic places for a picnic and a nice walk for all the members of your group. Ft. Wetherill has an old WWII fort to explore and Beavertail has a beautiful lighthouse with a museum.
Most dog owners take their pups out on the beaches after they close for the day.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:46 AM

As photographers, you should not miss the area across the Sakonnet River from Newport called Tiverton. It is in the opposite direction to Jamestown and is very rural and very, very beautiful. The roads are -- deliberately? -- very badly marked, and you will want a GPS or a locally purchased map to find your way around. But it is worth it.

Eat at Evelyn's Drive Inn for a lobster chow mein sandwich. Good? Well, unique!