Reload this Page >

Mystic, Ct or Newport RI or Providence RI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Maria

We are sightseeing with a couple here from Europe. We've done Washington, DC, Atlantic City, New York and have 1 weekend left. Which would you recommend Mystic, CT; Newport or Providence,RI

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Mike

Newport.

I'd also cancel AC.
Unless you don't like these people.
In that case, book into the local Howard Johnson's for a few nights and they should be off your back for good.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Jennifer

Newport. You should also try to stay at the Vanderbuilt or Francis Malbone, both are great. Have fun

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Jen

I'd agree with Newport. Lovely area with lots do do, much of it uniquely American. After all they have both the Yachting Museum and the Tennis Hall of Fame, don't they?

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 01:42 PM
JD

Having been to all 3 recently, and enjoyed each in its own way, I have to agree with the others that Newport is the only one of the three that's a real 'destination'.
Mystic has a very limited appeal--there's the Seaport (think along the lines of Williamsburg or other historical recreations/ preservations) and the Aquarium . Providence is turning out to be a fine small American city with great streets for strolling, a college/university culture,great architecture, but if you've had enough of cities, it's not a must see. Newport, though really overrun with tourists (crowds, busses, t-shirt vendors, etc, etc.) in high seasons, has so much to see--the mansions, of course,the drive along the coast, the Cliff Walk, the museums mentioned above.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Collette

You can stay in Newport and still visit Providence for an day as long as you have a car.... it is about an hour away. Good resturants in both, If you do go , check to see if there is a Waterfire going on in Providence... it is very cool event where they light bonfires in the river, play music and people just walk around and people watch.