Search

One Rainy Day in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Rainy Day in San Francisco

Hello!

My husband and I planned a crazy, last minute trip to San Francisco and I thought I'd do a trip report for it. We flew from Miami to San Francisco on American on Friday night. We got upgraded to first class, which was a good way to start the trip! We spent Saturday in San Francisco and flew back to Miami on Sunday. This was my first trip to San Francisco, so forgive me for doing some touristy things!!

We arrived on time and took a taxi to our hotel, The Orchard Hotel on Bush Street. We were very pleased with the hotel. It is very convenient to the cable car line! We had a large, tastefully decorated room and the bed was large and very soft and comfortable. They even had feather pillows-we both hate those rubber pillows! I also like the toiletries they provided.

We got up on Saturday morning and bought 1 day cable car passes and went down to Fisherman's Wharf. It was cloudy and misty, but not raining. Yet. We walked down and watched the sea lions for a while, then it stared to really rain. We bought an umbrella and went to tour the Pampanito submarine. The audio tour was very interesting and we really enjoyed seeing the sub-neither of us had actually been in one before. We then walked to the National Maritime Historic Park and went on board several of the ships there. We escaped a very bad rain squall while we were on the 1890s ferry!

After this we walked back to Fisherman's Wharf for lunch. We ate at Neptune's Palace, which I'm sure is very touristy, but it got us out of the rain. I had calamari and a seafood stew, which was good. My husband had shrimp and a lobster tail. He said his was good too. The view of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge was interesting-we watched rain squalls come and go.

After lunch, we went on the Blue & Gold boat tours 1-hour ride on the bay. It actually stopped raining right as we got under the Golden Gate Bridge, so we got some good pictures. Again, this was a nice activity since we could sit indoors on the boat and enjoy the view.

When we got off the boat, we went back to the cable car and decided to ride the Powell-Hyde line to see Lombard Street. Well, it was raining really hard so we didn't get out to see it. Rode to the end of the line. Big Mistake!! We stood in line to get back on the cable car for 20-25 minutes. It was absolutely pouring at this point. We finally got back on the cable car and got out at our hotel.

Warm and dry at last!! We took showers, changed clothes and rested, then went to dinner at Plouf, which was just a 10 minute walk. Fortunately, the rain had stopped by this time. I had the Plouf mussels and french fries and my husband had a seared tuna dish. Both were just delicious! We also polished off a bottle of wine during dinner.

Back to the hotel and a good night's sleep. Our plane left around noon, so we didn't have to hurry or get up early. Had an easy flight back to Miami.

This was a surprisingly easy coast to coast trip and we plan to do it again! Hopefully we'll have more cooperative weather next time. I really liked San Francisco-what a delightful, unique city it is. We plan to get more off the beaten track next time!
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:08 PM

Hello Florida, sorry about the rain. Yes we had a lot of rain here in this area on Saturday.

Plouf's and your mussels and fries, sigh. One of my favorite restaurants and dishes.

If you can, try to come back here next September as it is usually a very beautiful month.

And being upgraded to first class, priceless!
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi LoveItaly!

We'll plan a trip to SF next September, then! Maybe we can arrange a GTG at Plouf and all eat mussels!

My husband asked how I found out about Plouf and I told him that I read that you had recommended it! He was very impressed!

Hope things have dried out for you-as we were leaving on Sunday, it looked like it was going to be a beautiful day. Ironically, it was raining in Miami last night! It followed us!
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM

Florida1 - sounds like you really enjoyed yourselves. I applaud you for not letting the weather interfere with a good time. And now I want to try Plouf when I'm in SF again!
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 01:52 PM

LoveItaly, funny you say September. As you know our week there near the end of October (just a week before Florida1) was absolutely beautiful. Five nights with no clouds, not a hint of rain, glorious sunshine and temperatures there were almost too warm! Everybody was saying that "yes, October is a great month to come." We've usually been fogged in a lot and found it much colder in September -- but of course, weather is never very predictable there.

Florida1, we too just did Miami/San Francisco -- we did it on American when I found a bargain price of $198 for the round trip, non-stops. Hope you did as well, but with the upgrade -- well, who's complaining, right?

Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM

Hi Florida..that would be fun! I am so glad you two enjoyed Plouf's. One either loves mussels or not, lol. And Patrick, the weather was magical while you were in SF. Absolute perfection.

It is raining here again today which is not really typical for our area at this time of the year. But for some reason I am in the mood for winter this year.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM

It's bad outside right now. Heavy rain, I'm thinking of taking the Duck tour home instead of a bus
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi again!

Glad you had such nice weather for your visit, Patrick! We got a good price for our tickets-around $300 each--not as good as yours, but still a good price, and yes, the upgrade made it worth it. We ate the entire way across the country...crabcakes for dinner, ice cream sundaes..probably gained 5 lbs on the plane!

LoveItaly-I know some people don't like mussels, but I can't imagine it!

Faina-LOL about the Duck Tour! We saw the duck truck while we were there!

Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM

Well Florida, you wouldn't want to see the look of disgust on my daughter's face when I mention mussels..she does not enjoy the wide variety of foods that I do! We both love french fries though of course. Oh, I adore crabcakes too.

Faina, I can imagine you got drenched getting home this evening. I was going to take the garbage out and it was such a cloudburst I stuck my head back inside, lol. Stay warm dear one.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Guess what! It rained till 5, and I came home dry!! Gotta minimize those ducks to play in the bathtub
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Plouf's for mussels and fries! My favorite! And a nice white burgundy makes it perfection. Love that restaurant.

Don't you love last minute trips! And an upgrade makes it very nice!
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 06:06 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks for the trip report!
Ploufs is on my list! Mussels and frittes - my favorite