One free day in NYC..what to do

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into NYC on Aug 31, have ticktets for Avenue Q for Sept 1 matinee. Have all day Sept 2 free to explore...staying at the Clarion on 5th avenue. What suggestions would you have to make this a wonderful trip? Have been to the SOL, but would perhaps like to take a boat ride...thanks in advance.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 05:30 AM

Without knowing what your interests are its hard to make a reco. Do you like history? Art? Architecture? shopping? just relaxing?

If I had only 1 day in New York I would do the Met (IMHO one of the worlds 3 great cultural repositories) and central park.

The boat rides around Manhattan are interesting and relaxing - but not what I would reco for only one day - there's so much else to do that's fascinating and a joy to the mind as well as the eyes.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:01 AM

Are you aware that the Republican Convention is taking place in NYC (Madison Square Garden - 33th St.) from 8/30 - 9/2. Major sections of the city will be totally closed down...especially at night.

You might want to check out the sites that show street closures. Once Bush/Cheney enter the city, EVERYTHING will be at a complete standstill.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:16 AM

Definitely the Met and Central Park, nytraveler nailed it!
You could never spend enough time at the Met (if that's your kinda thing).

If your heart is set on a boat ride, take the free Statten Island Ferry, or book a dinner cruise, there are many to choose from.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:28 AM

As noted, the RNC may be a big problem for you - I would plan to stay away from Madison Square Garden and really anything west of 6th avenue in the 20's to 50's or so. You may want to also listen for where the protests are going to be. In comparison, the residential neighborhoods such as the Upper East/West Sides, will likely be otherwise be empty (everyone I know, myself included, is getting out of town).

I would plan for the more off the beat spots -- as an example, for a museum, the Cloisters. Without knowing your interests, hard to say more.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:50 AM

Would definately suggest museums like the Met and Museum of Natural History. A day strolling Central Park can be fun, as well.

But, as stated you are coming to NY at an awful, awful time. Security will be incredibly tight.

I would also suspect that several large public spaces, like some of major museums will be closed for fundraisers and special events during the day.

Before making definative plans, I'd check with the museums to see if they will have normal hours.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Okay...now that my excitement about a trip to NY has been totally dampened, is there not anything good about being there at that time? Maybe the heightened security is a good thing!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:31 PM

I would not hesitate to go nor would I let it dampen my excitement. There are thousands of wonderful things to do in New York.

There is a thread on this forum titled "The Best of New York City". Sorry, I can't figure out how to attach it to my post, but, do a search for it here, and I am sure you will find tons of interesting things to do. There are some really great suggestion in that particular thread that should not be any more difficult to do, whether the convention is in town or not.

Go have fun, I am so envious!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! You made me feel ever so much better! I am sooo excited about seeing Avenue !..the reviews are great! And I thought the hotel (Clarion) looked good too...we have only been to NYC once...stayed outside of the city...dashed around and saw the typical sites and then drove out of town!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 03:51 PM

You'll have a great time! Would you be interested in the hop on/hop off bus tour? http://www.graylinenewyork.com Or maybe a walking tour? If so take a look at http://www.mas.org/Events/tours.cfm or http://www.bigonion.com

Have fun!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:30 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to dampen your spirits - Ave Q is great (and definitely not on the RNC Broadway list...). An advantage of being here during the RNC is a lot of things will probably be less crowded, and I think outside of the convention area, the city may be easy to get around with a lot of people on vacation. Heck, you might even be a witness to history, or at least have some good, unique stories about your visit!