One Dinner in N.O. --Where to eat?

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 03:49 PM
Heidi

One Dinner in N.O. --Where to eat?

My husband and I have but one night to eat in New Orleans. Neither of us has been there before. Please, Please tell me where to go!

Thanks,
Heidi

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 06:03 PM
susan

Commander's Palace. I'd normally suggest it for a wonderful Sunday jazz brunch, but if you only have one night, I'd still opt for it. Call for reservations and ask for the Garden Room.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 04:47 AM
Ellie

I lived in New Orleans for 16 years and just returned this past weekend with a large group of friends. Our experience at Commander's was so-so.

Please - go to Dooky Chase's. Take a taxi. It is about 10 minutes away from the French Quarter. Out of all of the restaurants this one was the best for the money, believe me. Ms. Chase has been on Julia Child's show many times and lives up to her famous name. I had the panned Veal and I could cut it with a fork. The pecan pie was to die for. Our entire group agrees - Forget Emeril's, Commander's, Galatoires!!! Go to Dooky Chase's!!

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 06:55 AM
lisa

My #1 recommendation is Peristyle -- an intimate little place with incredible food.

If you want a place that is more of a "scene" then I recommend K. Paul's -- also great food.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 08:48 AM
julie

I lived in NO for 5 years. I would not go to Commanders Palace. Everyone raves about it, but not people who live there...there are far better than that. One of our favorites was Le Bistro, or Petunias, or Windsor Court, or Tujaques. I have been gone for 14 years, except for regular visits, but we have several very disapointing occasions at Commandars, with out of town visitors who insisted to go there.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 10:11 AM
joan

Lisa et al:
Peristyle closed due to fire.

for other interesting (heated!) opinions on this subject, go to www.nolalive.com/forums/dining
this is a great dining forum

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 10:45 AM
lisa

I'm so disappointed to hear about the fire at Peristyle! It was one of my favorite small restaurants that I've ever been to.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 11:23 AM
Glen

My personal favorite, one of the best around, is Bayona on Daupine St.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 07:26 AM
Jack

If I had to eat one meal in New Orleans, it would be Galatoire's. It showcases the glory of creole food. So what is it's stuffy, it's part of the fun!

By the way, the info you're getting about Commander's Palace is wrong - it's just one of the best resteraunts in the world.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 08:18 AM
Meg

I am a N.O. resident, and I will stand by Commander's. I've never had a bad meal there and have always had great service. Bayona is another excellent recommendation as is K-Paul's. Julie's recommendation about Le Bistro at Maison de Ville is also good, but I wouldn't spend my one night in N.O. there. Windsor Court's Grill Room and Tujagues are not worth the time or money. I've never eaten there, but Dooky Chase's is supposed to be good. Crabcake's posts about it are certainly tempting. Hope you have a wonderful dinner in N.O.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 08:19 AM
Meg

Oh, Lisa - Peristyle is supposed to be re-opening. I thought they were re-opening this month, but it looks like they are still working on the building.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 02:10 PM
Judy

My pick would be Irene's Cuisine in the French Quarter or Brigsten's in the Garden District. If you go to Brigsten's, try the rabbit!!!

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 05:36 PM
susan

Allow me to be the second to nix the Grill Room at Windsor Court. While others have had good experiences there, ours was only mediocre. Next to Commander's Palace, I'd recommend Bayona and Galatoire's.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 06:13 PM
David

NOLA (one of Emeril Lagasse places)! I had one of the best meals of my life there. I had dinner the night before at K-Pauls and thought it was good but not great. I know that Emerils places get some bad press on this line but I've eaten at 3-4 of his restaurants and always had good - great meals. However, that's my not so humble opinion.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 04:50 PM
Joan Doyle

Dear Heidi: As a Louisiana resident (and New Orleans historian) I second the idea of Commander's Palace--with maybe Bayona as a close second. I think you'll have a memorable meal in either place. Bon appetit! Joan

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 05:52 AM
Harriett

WE've eaten almost every time we've been to NO at Palace Cafe, an offshoot of the Commander's group, on Canal Street. While I realize there are hundreds of places to eat in NO, we really have loved this place. I must add that we haven't been there in a couple of years, so not sure if it's changed. I'll also add that I loved Commander's the one time we ate there, but my husband felt it was overrated -- and I'm much pickier than he.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 10:41 AM
Tom

With only one dinner , I'd go to Commander's. Count me in as another local that hasn't had a bad meal there. Second would be Bayona (its ordinarily first on my list, but with only one night, it doesn't have much that it is uniquely New Orleans).

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 11:39 AM
Meg

LISA - Peristyle had want ads in the Sunday paper for staff, so I guess they are close to re-opening.