Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

On my own (+50) in SF on Sat. nite - what do do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! I am visiting my son in SF this weekend and he can't get out of working Sat. nite. I am a grandmother (+50) but not a total fraidy cat. What can I do alone on Sat. evening in SF? What touristy areas (safe) are open in the evening? Are there any evening tours of the city? We already have tickets to Alcatraz for Monday so that's out. Any help appreciated!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:57 AM

In your shoes I'd probably opt to go to the theater. Here's a list of what's on. I notice Eve Ensler who wrote the Vagina Monologues has a new show playing. I know nothing about the reviews.

http://www.sfbg.com/38/43/x_list_stage.html
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:59 PM

It's a totally cliche, but I think you would love Beach Blanket Babylon. I always scoffed but was invited to one of the 30th Anniversary shows and I practically fell out of my chair laughing. Val Diamond has been performing with the group since the early years, according to my boss who frequented the shows many, many years ago. She has an amazing voice and stage presence. And wear a Depends undergarment in case the Barbra Streisand impersonation pops up.

http://www.beachblanketbabylon.com/
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:41 PM

See who is playing the Plush Room at the Hotel York. It is often wonderful cabaret. It is a hoof from Union Square but doable. I'd also consider a film at the Clay or the Bridge. You can see some great "art house" films at either. The Clay is on Fillmore Street which will be safe and has a host of places for you to eat before or after the film. You can also check out what is playing at the Kabuki Cinemas and have great noodles at Mifune in Japantown Center before or after. You might also check out the Kabuki Hot Springs Spa and treat yourself to a steam and massage.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:42 PM

BTW-I'm over 50 and would do any of the above and have in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 04:59 AM

Here's another vote for Beach Blanket Babylon. My daughter and I went and we loved it. It's great fun. I would feel comfortable going to this show alone. There are dozens of places to eat near the theater.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 08:53 PM

I cast another vote for Beach Blanket Babylon. I'm 50+ female and have seen it three times. It is wonderful! Have dinner right next door to the theatre at Capps Corner. Casual, friendly, Italian food, very San Francisco. So just one cab ride to and from. I would be very comfortable at the show and at Capps Corner by myself.