Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Omni or Sofitel Water Tower - your votes please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

We're booked into the Omni on the Magnificent Mile, however, I've just received a great quote from the Sofitel Water Tower.

Which has the best location?
Which is the nicest hotel?

Omni are offering King Corner rooms and Premium Suites, whereas the Sofitel is offering a standard king and twin!

Really would appreciate your advice

Thanks.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 08:50 AM

Location difference is negligible. They are 3-4 blocks apart, both close to all the shops on the Mag Mile/north Michigan Avenue. I believe Omni is an all suite hotel. The sofitel is probably "fresher" since it is less than a year old. I have heard sofitel has larger than average rooms. They are both high quality hotels.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 09:47 AM

I stayed at the Sofitel recently and it is a very nice, hip hotel. There was definitely a "Euro/fashionable" feel to the hotel and its guests. The rooms were fairly standard but with an exceptionally comfortable bed and nice amenities. Of the Chicago hotels on (or near) the mag mile, Sofitel and Le Meridien are in my top two. However, I haven't stayed at the Omni so I can't give you a good comparison.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 01:49 PM

I haven't stayed at these particular Omni or Sofitel's but generally stay at them in other cities. Sofitel is usually a bit nicer and more up to date. Omni's are a little more conservative and not as "fun" if that makes sense.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 01:57 PM
uuhhhh

if it makes a difference, sofitel (and le meridien) is french owned.

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Dan

Actually, Le Meridien isn't French owned anymore. It was started by Air France years ago but then was sold to Lufthansa German Airlines. I think it's Japanese owned now (they have an alliance with Nikko Hotels of Japan) and is headquartered in London! So, while they try to seem French, it's a pretty international group.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 02:12 PM

The Water Tower Sofitel is less than a year old. Great location...wonderful beds (most comfortable we ever had in a hotel), cool building design. We will return there on our next trip to Chicago!
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 06:43 PM

Hi SallyB;

Just curious about your method of obtaining quotes for these hotels. Was it a web based provider line Expedia, Travelocity, or Orbitz?

I have an overnighter in ORD on the way to europe and was considering these spots as well.

Thanks,

Robert
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their response.

Robert - I always email the hotel direct, I find I always get the best price this way, plus you can barter! It the current climate hotels are happy to pricematch, if not better their original quote. Also, rooms can be booked on credit card with a 6pm hold on day of arrival, so you can always cancel at the last minute if need be, you can't do this with agencies!

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 09:53 PM

Sally � Oh, what a blind sheep I�ve been. I shall give this a try. The Sofitel look quite spiffy, and I have stayed in a few Omni Hotels and really enjoyed their professionalism.

Thanks,

Robert
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 09:55 PM

Hummm, those question marks are dashes to my Mac.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 05:26 AM

Cant speak for Sofitel, but we stayed at the Omni in November and were very pleased. Location was fantastic, staff was great and we had an unbelievable rate which included breakfast daily. Omni is all suites, which was good for us because we had our kids with us. If you go for the Omni, join their (for lack of better words) frequent flyer program. Then they deliver coffee and juice, bottled H2O, etc. to your room every morning.