Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago Hotel Dilemma - Can you help me choose?

Notices

Old Feb 1st, 2003, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

First visit to Chicago (from UK), I would appreciate any feedback on the hotels listed below.

We will be travelling with our teenager! Only other specification is that we require an excellent 4* hotel with a superb location, which must have plenty of restaurants within walkable distance.

Hotels shortlisted:

House of Blues
Hotel Burnham
Fairmont
Hotel Monaco
Millennium Knickerbocker

My instinct is the Knickerbocker, however, it appears to have very mixed reviews on this forum site, whereas on a UK site, it came out as very favourable.

I really would appreciate any feedback you can give.

Many thanks.
SB
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 05:21 AM

If you want to be able to walk to many of the great shops and restaurants Chicago has, stay close to the "Magnificent Mile". Top notch hotels are The Drake Hotel, Omni Chicago Hotel (Oprahs guest stay here), The Westin Hotel and Four Seasons Hotel. Your teenage will love this area, so much to do.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 02:23 PM

I would recommend either the Peninsula, The Ritz Carlton (right at the top of Water Tower Place---a 6 story shopping mall), or the Four Seasons (also atop a vertical shopping mall). At these places you'll be right in the middle of everything---they are pricey, 5-star hotels ($300-$400) a nite, but very very nice,wonderful service, and nearby lots of shopping and restaurants. Have a great time!!
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 06:20 AM

Sally - The Knickerbocker, w/o question, has an ideal location for your visit - a few steps from Michigan Avenue and a short block from Oak Street Beach - which gives that area of Chicago a truly unique setting. It is across the street from The Drake, which the first poster mentioned. I believe that the Knickerbocker underwent a pretty thorough renovation in recent years, but I have no personal experience with staying there. Why don't you re-post asking for input from any recent visitors to that particular hotel? Good luck to you!
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 07:12 AM

All of those are ok hotels. Whether they are 3 or 4 star hotels (out of 5) is questionable.

Of those I would choose the Millenium Knickerbocker only for its location. The Loop and Burnham are old charming hotels, but they are in the loop and I would prefer to stay in near the water tower/gold coast area.

Hose of Blue area has a lot of restaurants too, but I wouldn't want to stay there if H.O.B is hosting a twisted sister concert.

Fairmont is just a little out of the way but not bad.

I saw your other posts where people made other suggestions, but I'm guessing you've narrowed the list down because of price.

Good luck

Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 10:08 AM

If you are going with a teengaer- and their liking it is important, I would stay at the HOUSE OF BLUES! When you check in, they give you a CD to play in your room (all rooms have a CD player, and most have a fax, too), usually typical Chicago tunes. The rooms arevery cool, all with a band/ musical theme, and the bar- which looks like a casbah- is great. A solid 4 star. Also, right across the parking lot is the House of Blues- great concerts on Fridays and Saturdays, a great Bar, and a "Gospel" brunch on Sundays that is a "trip". Also, many of Chicago's trendier restaurants are in the area(Vong, Bin 36- right next to the hotel, Redfish), all upscale but smart/ casual.As for you other choices,the Fiarmont is lovely, but on a busy highway and it's impossible to walk anywhere. The Knickerbocker has a great location, but the mood is older than the house of blues- think Claridges versus the Aldwych.
Hope this is helpful!
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 10:11 AM

Sorry, should have asked at the end of my reply to you...I'll be staying at the Conrad London in Chelsea Harbour over Valentine's Day weekend...any input?
Thanks!
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Thank to all the responders to my question so far! Really appreciate the input.

Quite like the sound of HOB, but what sort of clientile should we expect?

Beethova - thanks for your response, sorry I haven't stayed at the Conrad, but I know it has an excellent reputation, plus the area is good. Lucky you - have fun!

SB
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 02:14 PM
d

I recently stayed at the HOB--the clientele was diverse. Couples, business travelers, people with young kids and teenagers. I recommend.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 07:09 PM

If you can bid on Priceline, check out www.biddingfortravel.com. We have stayed at a variety of hotels along the Magnificent Mile, Drake Westin River North and Hyatt Regency all were fine -- but at a much better price if you bid for them. You should be able to do well for around $80-100 a night that way.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:26 AM

Sally-I agree with "d"...the clientele is diverse, but definitely upscale, as it's not cheap. I've stayed there both for business (when a trade show was in town, even though I LIVE in the Chicago area) and with friends when I wanted a late evening in the city. It is very trendy and also attracts film/ music types. Also, the restaurant attached to it, Bin 36, is a well- respected gourmet restaurant and wine bar, with fabulous choices- if you like wine! Anyway, thanks for your response on the Conrad. Enjoy Chicago!
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi

HOB gets an appalling set of reviews on the Fodor's site! I'm now put off, as I only read these today! I expected the rooms to be wonderful, but they sound dreadful!

Now it looks like I'm back to square one!

Thanks to everyone for their input!

SB
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 09:44 AM

SallyB

If you are looking for a 4 star hotel with a good location you may want to consider The Westin Chicago River North. It is across the street from The House of Blues and just a block or two from Michigan Ave shopping, etc. (don't confuse the with the Westin on Michigan Ave.) We atayed there recently and booked through Priceline at $99/night. I've heard that others got rates as low as $79. We were offered an upgrade at check-in for $30 and received a superior room with a spectacular view. They have been offering internet rates at the Westin website for $119. You would not be disappointed with this choice.

JoeG
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 12:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Please now see posting entitled Omni Chicago Hotel - decision has now been made!

Many thanks to all who responded to my initial enquiry.

SB