OMG!! Phoenix in ... JULY???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, 'fraid so. When our DS graduated college, I decided to go back to school myself and finish up that degree. And on July 18 I will participate in commencement ceremonies in Phoenix, AZ.

So...knowing that it is hotter than Hades at that time, I'm trying to make the best of it. Fer instance -- should be able to Priceline some really good hotels, and maybe flights will be cheap(er). Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do while we're there? I'm taking off a couple extra days, for no other reason than to celebrate having a life back after being a full-time worker and student...and, of course, to justify the airline fares to myself...

Was there at end of September 2008, and Pricelined Hilton Resort at Tapatio (sp?), but that was just a stopover. Would like to treat DH, DS, and a few close friends to a nice celebration dinner and/or outing, since they will be braving the heat on my behalf.

Oh -- we're from Central Florida, so hot isn't completely foreign to us....

Thanks in advance for any brainstorms that surge my way!
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 07:23 PM

sludick,

Congratulations on your graduation.

I'm from Central Florida too but, don't worry, it is a dry heat!

You won't feel unconfortable at all. Ha-ha.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 07:53 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Try to Priceline a resort hotel IF there are only two of you in the room.

I LOVED Frank Lloyd Wright's home, Taliesin West in Scottsdale.

http://www.franklloydwright.org/Visitors.html
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM

Well, a trip up to the Grand Canyon via Sedona would be nice in July, if you've not been to them. The GC is about a 5 hour drive from Phoenix.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, starrs; that sounds like an interesting visit. I will be using Priceline for sure. Orlando_Vic -- har, har, har! Andrew -- as luck would have it, I'll be spending a week in Sedona in September, but that would be a great idea otherwise.

Any restaurant suggestions?
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Last May we stayed at the Smoke Tree resort in Paradise valley for a couple of chill out days after our tour of AZ and NM. We chose it after reading about it on Fodor's.
It was lovely, and well priced as it was out of season for them. We rented a one bedroom suite bungalow.
The restaurant was closed for refurbishment when we were there, so we made use of the wonderful deli, which was nearly next door.
The restaurant is due to reopen this year I believe.
www.smoketreeresort.com/
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:09 AM

Sludick - yes the hotels will definetly be cheaper here that time of year. In fact, I would also look at any particular hotel sight (or call the hotel directly) to see if they are running summer specials. You might get a great price directly from a hotel you're interested in because they want to fill those rooms. Flights should be cheaper too.

I'm assuming you'll have a rental car. You will need one - we're really spread out here in Phoenix.

Because it will be so hot, a couple of ideas - the Heard Museum in Phoenix has one of, if not the, largest collection of Native American artifacts in the U.S. Great museum (and a/c) to visit. It's right downtown Phoenix. To get out of the heat, you could drive up to Sedona (about 2 1/2 hours from downtown) and spend the day (and night?) there. It would be cold, but at least cooler than Phoenix.

Lots of restaurants depending. How upscale/price range do you want to go? Upscale but great atmosphere is T. Cook's at the Royal Palms Resort. Lots of casual dining too.

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:11 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
The movie night dive-in at the Hyatt Regency's pool sounds like a fun way to spend a summer evening
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

patandhank, I'd like to find one that reeks of southwest ambience and cuisine. Not too upscale, but not too casual either. We do enjoy a nice glass of wine more than margaritas. Not a white gloves place. Good food. Linen tablecloth optional. One of those for one night, then some more casual spots for breakfast/lunch/dinner.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Sludick - if you could pin down what part of the city you're going to stay in and let me know, I'll try and point you in the direction of some restaurants.

By-the-way, I meant to say Sedona would NOT be cold....
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Well... commencement will be at the University of Phoenix stadium in Glendale. If I Priceline, I'll bid for resorts, and may end up with the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs, which is on the north side. I guess it's too early to pinpoint restaurants, isn't it?
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 03:15 PM

sludick - once you get a hotel firmed up, repost or e-mail me. I'll check back on the thread in a couple of days.
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

We just finalized lodging in Scottsdale -- at the Scottsdale Resort and Conference Center (yes, I know it's a bit of a drive from Glendale, but we have other places to be also).

So -- any recommendations for restaurants, patandhank?
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:50 PM

T. Cooks at The Royal Palms get my vote for your celebratory dinner. Get there early, have cocktails under the shaded patios. Tell them you are celebrating a life achievement [which you are!] and they will go out of their way to make you meal special.

Wander the grounds after dark, find all the little hidden gardens and firepits. Oh wait, kids with you? Dang, there goes neckin' in the garden.

http://picasaweb.google.com/DebitNM/RoyalPalms

I second a trip to Talisen West, we loved it. Read Nancy Horan's "Loving Frank" first to really get a sense of what it was like there. The sculpture gardens are wonderful, as it the house itself.

http://picasaweb.google.com/DebitNM/TALIESINWEST

Take a ride on Apache Trail if you aren't bothered by narrowing twisty roads.

http://picasaweb.google.com/DebitNM/ApacheTrail

The above pictures were taken December of 2007, but we've been in Tucson in July and it was hot. Plan outdoor activities in early morning and then look for indoor activities when it really gets hot.

How about a Diamondbacks games? The stadium is covered, air conditioned [but still kinda warm] and is fun night.

For restaurants, check out http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/6 which is the Southwest board.

Grimaldi's in Scottsdale has really good pizza and reasonable prices.

Deb
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ever so much, DebitNM!! I checked out the menus at T. Cook's and my mouth is watering. Looks beautiful. I'd like to visit Talisen West as well. We are going out a day earlier than originally planned and are actually considering spending the first day/night in Tucson. As you said - hot, hot hot.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:16 AM

At the minute it opens, try http://www.desertmuseum.org/ near Tucson. It was very good. It gets hots [lol, like it doesn't start out hot even at 6 am]and animals get lethargic.

For a nice cool mountain getaway - Mount Lemmon http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/mount-lemmon/

Deb
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to thank everybody for their kind advice, and to let you know I have just returned and will post a trip report in a day or so.

Awesome experience! But very very very hot....