Search

Omaha Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Omaha Hotels

We will be in Omaha for a few nights in early April. I am not familiar with this city at all. Are there are particular areas to look for, or any to stay away from? I would like to keep it under about $200 per night. Thanks
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Tess

West Omaha or Downtown/Old Market would be my recommendation. The Hilton (downtown) is nice, as is Embassy Suites in Old Market. Are you coming for a particular event?

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tess. We are coming to look at Creighton, and DD is going to a prom there with her BF. So thankfully we were able to combine the two into one trip. How easy is it to get to Creighton from either of those hotels?
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:02 AM

The downtown Old Market area is very close to Creighton. I would recommend the Hilton Omaha as the newest, nicest hotel or the Embassy Suites. If those prices are a little high for you. Two other excellent choices in the same are are the Hilton Garden or Marriott Courtyard. All four hotels are in great shape and near everything.

Creighton is a very short drive from any of them. Probably 1-3 miles at the most. (5 to 10 minute drive). You could actually walk but it would be around 30 minutes or so, depending on which hotel. This area is the most vibrant in the city as far as restaurants, fun historic shopping area, etc.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you 4khansen. I saw that the Hilton has a special rate for visiting Creighton, so I will call on that. I didn't realize how close it was either, so even better!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

I booked the Hilton in downtown on Cass Street. Got a great rate! Roughly how close is it to the U of N there at Omaha?
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 11:51 AM

UNO (University of Nebraska Omaha) is located at 60th and Dodge. The Hilton is basically at 10th and Dodge (10th and Cass is one block north of Dodge). So about 5 miles straight west on Dodge.

Have fun in Omaha.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

4khansen--Thanks I tweaked our plans a bit. Staying at the Hilton the first two nights, but then at the Holiday Inn at the Convention Center for our last night. It works out better for the kids this way. But really nice to know that the areas we are going to are not far apart. I appreciate all the help!
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 10:56 AM

You are welcome... let us know how it went..

Enjoy the Old Market lots of varying restaurants from pricey to reasonable.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 11:01 AM

You do realize that the Holiday Inn Convention Center is not at the same convention center as the Hilton?

That facility (Holiday Inn) has a small convention area attached to it and located about 10 miles from the Hilton. It's about 5 miles from UNO though.

I am assuming you are staying there because of the water park. that has been recently added.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

4khansen--Yes, I realize they are a ways apart. But thanks so much for checking, I appreciate it The HI is the one with the water park. Not sure if we will go there or not, or maybe just the kids. But we are there so that we are close to UNO for prom night.

A friend who also lives in the area called last night. So I will get to see them as well. I love that I am getting so much mileage out of this college visit, lol!
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 12:06 PM

mms, my brother and SIL JUST got back from Omaha last Thursday. They stayed at the Hilton and said it was very nice. They also got the Creighton tour with my neice and her boyfriend. The "boy" is in school there. They said it is a fabulous learning environment.

The boy is headed to Ghana for three weeks pretty soon. I'm not sure if it's a service requirement or purely voluntary, but he's really excited about it.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

crefloors--I was thinking of you when this trip came up Our friends that I will visit there, their oldest has just been accepted to grad school there. Nice to hear about the Hilton. I figure that way I will have an interesting area to explore if the kids are off on a date. I already told DD she could ditch me for the night I keep hearing so much about Omaha in general and how nice and small it feels. I have to say that when we booked this trip I had my doubts, but now I am liking the sounds of it more and more!
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 10:20 AM

Since your DD will be on a date for Prom, I assume the group she will hanging with will eat out that night.

The Old Market area will be swarming with prom groups as this is a fun area for that age to show off their dresses etc. You may want to head that way to eat prom evening and enjoy the scene and maybe catch a glimpse of the daughter if they happen to eat in the area. Many of the restaurants have tables with views of Howard Street and the general Old Market area.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone for all the great help! Got back tonight and it was a fantastic trip. Stayed at the Hilton all 3 nights. Very nice! Even had breakfast next to Supernanny our first morning, lol!

The entire area was really easy to navigate. Very easy to get to the BF's house, as well as to friends at StratCom.

Kids hit the zoo yesterday morning and DD said it was very good. I hit the Old Market area and loved it! But I was in heels, and with the uneven surfaces I had to watch my steps.

Creighton was a very successful visit. But have a few others in the works too. One is in Omaha as well though.

Anyway, I was really impressed with the area and think it would be a great place to visit again