Search

Olympia, WA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:08 PM
rosa

Olympia, WA

My husband and I are considering moving to Olympia. We would be moving for his job. We live in Texas now. Please tell me what it's like there. What are the pros and cons? Thanks.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:17 PM
xxx

What part of Texas are you relocating from? Olympia will seem damp in comparison to the heat of Texas. Forget decent tex-mex in the Pacific Northwest. Lots of trees and greenery. Probably not the most exciting city, but within driving distance to Seattle for weekend excursions.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:33 PM
John

Olympia is a very pleasant town, about 20 minutes south of Tacoma and 2 hours north of Portland. It's located at the south end of Puget Sound, close to excellent outdoor recreation resources. Seattle is about an hour's drive, the Pacific coast and the Olympic Peninsula about the same. Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens are easy day trips, skiing is an hour or so in winter. Boating on salt or fresh water is an everyday option.

It's the State capital, so despite its size Olympia is a pretty sophisticated place - there are some good restaurants, shopping opportunities, etc. The downtown area is making a comeback, although it is still a little weary looking around the edges. (Olympia, like much of western Washington, is not exempt from a fluctuating timber-based economy.) The State Capitol is IMO one of America's most beautiful public buildings. Schools are good, property taxes tolerable. There's no personal State income tax in Washington, but sales taxes are quite high by national standards. Housing may be more or less expensive than where you live, check out one of the major regional realtors, www.windermere.com, to look at listings. There is a great deal of variety, from condos to waterfront lots with oyster beds, you name it.

The weather is typical for this region - cool, wet winters, warm but seldom humid summers, beautiful springs and autumns. The town is very lively in winter, when the Legislature's in session and the city becomes the focus of what's happenin' politically.

On the con side, it's not very big, so you may find yourselves looking to Seattle or Tacoma for cultural or recreational outlets. It's very political, so if that doesn't appeal you might find it tedious. Like a lot of NW towns, newcomers might think it a little chilly on the hospitality side, but that's just typical NW reserve, born of Scandinavian roots, and it passes quickly. If you're from Texas you might be chilly yourselves - the climate can take some getting used to.

All in all, though, Olympia's a nice place - I bet you'll love it there.

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Rosa,

Are you living in Olympia now? If so, what area? My hubby/I moved here from Texas too.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a nice town a one-hour drive from Seattle when traffic is flowing smoothly. You won't need AC in the summer. The drive to the Oregon coast is one hour shorter than it would be if you lived in Seattle. I can't think of a down-side unless you are happy only when living in a large city.