Thinking of moving to Pacific Northwest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This move won't take place for another 4-5 years, however, I'm doing the research now and would appreciate any feedback on living in a rural area in northwestern Washington, northern Idaho or western Montana. I'm interested in a mild 4 season climate which is sometimes referred to as the "banana belt". I enjoy kayaking, fishing, hiking, camping, snow skiing...just about anything outdoors. Tired of living in the city, I'd like to buy a secluded area in the forest with a small lake or large pond. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Peg
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 05:43 PM

Geez Peg, you sound like us! We want to move to the PNW in about 4 years too...and buy that secluded area in the forrest. Ahhhh. I'll be watching this post.

You can also go to several city/town websites (chamber of commerce) and request an info packet. Click on a link regarding moving to that city. We did that last year. Sequim looks good...
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 10:54 PM

We, too, am interested in information for something occurring 4 years from now. Where in Montana can we rent a time machine so that we can determine which parcel of land to purchase? Any help you provide is greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:05 AM
ALF

Well, I don't know what you consider to be a 'mild' winter, but it can get pretty darn cold and snowy in northern Idaho and western Montana. I don't consider those locations to have a mild 4-season climate. Great places to live though, and beautiful scenery, not to mention the outdoor activities that you want.

We set out to do something similar 25 years ago, and settled in a fairly rural area 30 miles outside of Seattle. Of course, the Seattle region has grown tremendously since then, so we no longer live in a rural location (I guess we are now on the edge of suburbia, but with 5 acres).

One place to look would be north of Cour d'Alene, in Idaho.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you sure there are places in Montana or Idaho with a "mild 4 season climate"?

That's what I would consider it here (in Seattle) as wellas any place coastal in Washington and Oregon, but not once you go "over the mountains" to the east in either state. Dramatically different climates.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:20 PM

Spokane is a great area with 4 seasons, just a quick 20 minute drive to Coeur d'Alene. We have gone up there four times in the last year as we are contemplating a move there in a few years. They have tons of lakes for opportunity to kayak, plenty of hiking and fishing. Go on to realtor.com and you can research home & land prices.