OliveOyl are You Out There?

Jun 1st, 2004, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

OliveOyl are You Out There?

Hi OliveOyl - My husband and I love Savannah and try to make an annual trip there. We have always enjoy reading your posts because you are so knowlegeable and it sounds as though we are interested in some of the same things. Are there any other areas you have such knowledge about? If so, we would be interested in hearing some of your input. We are planning on taking a week-long trip in July and will probably go to Savannah for a couple of days and possibly to the GA or SC coast for several days. We would like to find something on the beach, but in a more secluded area as opposed to a more commercialized area. We prefer inns or historical hotels. We have been to the Jekyll Island Club but were thinking about something different this time. Any thoughts? Also, if you are as knowlegeable about any other areas (and I think you probably are!), we would love to hear some input from you. Thanks in advance.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:55 AM
OliveOyl

Hi dgarland--such nice compliments, thank you!! quot;>

Savannah is such a nice compact area it was easy to get to know it well in a fairly short period of time, but the Tampa Bay area where we are now, which covers such a huge amount of territory, you are always discovering something new and there will always be things untried. We've been here almost twice as long, but I don't know it nearly as well. That was the long answer to your question about other areas where I might have the same knowledge. The short one is, "no".

We have explored a few beach communities on the SE Atlantic Coast, but usually, if the beach area is nice, it has also become a more commercialized area, which is not what you are looking for.

One place does come to mind that sort of fits the bill as far as being secluded and not overly commercialized is Hunting Island State Park on the Atlantic off Beaufort, SC and the islands. They have a limited number of cabins you can stay in and the beach is so pretty and uncrowded. Now...we've only been on day trips from Savannah so I have no idea how primitive the cabins may be. It might be a fun day trip for you as well, using Savannah as a base. The drive out there is quite beautiful. The shrimping scenes from Forest Gump were shot in an area on the way out to Hunting Island, and the maritime forest portion of the park was used in filming the Vietnam scenes in the movie. Now...we haven't been out in 5 years and they have a serious beach erosion problem, so I'm not sure about the condition of the beach now. There are a couple of people on Fodors who live in the area though and they can perhaps update this. One other issue with Hunting Island...you would be bringing your food in, or driving back toward Beaufort to eat--there's nothing immediately around that area--part of its beauty.

Fripp Island is just a bit south of Hunting Island...there may be rentals out there as well, but again, it's not someplace we've stayed, only driven through.

Beaufort is another nice area to visit, and still not terribly commercialized. There are quite a few B&Bs in elegant old homes. No beach right there, but it's a waterfront community with the ICW, Beaufort River, Broad River.

We've stayed at Kiawah...probably too commercial for your tastes. We rented a house though, so were away from the resort, but it was one of those deals where we "knew someone who knew someone" and I'm not sure that house would have been available otherwise. Kiawah is nice though, and not as grown up as HH.

Another area you might think about, 2 hours south of Savannah, is Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach. We've stayed at the Ritz Carlton on Amelia...hardly a historic place (!), but very nice and in a quiet area. Fernandina is an old beach town with some B&Bs but we've only been there to eat when we were staying at the Ritz and I don't know much about it otherwise. It's an easy drive from Savannah however, and one of the less "found" areas on the SE Atlantic coast.

Not sure this has been any help but perhaps something above would fit the bill. I'd really suggest a side trip to Beaufort whether you stay there or not. The Point, their historic district is really beautiful, old South. It's well worth the hour + drive from Savannah.

You might want to repost if either Fripp/Hunting Island State Park or Fernandina Beach/Amelia areas interest you. If you use those place names in your title hopefully you'll catch the attention of those who are more familiar with them than I am and can answer more specific questions you might have. Good luck and have fun planning!

Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:23 AM

Hi OliveOyl! Just wanted to say hello. Hope all is well on your end.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:27 AM

OliveOyl - Good to see your still around, haven't noticed you posting lately. Was down in my favorite FL destination two weeks ago and returning in July. Guess you guys are pretty busy with travel picking up. Hope you get some time for sailing!
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:29 AM
OliveOyl

Hi Harry...I haven't been around quite as much--had a major distraction this year that has taken me both out of town and put my mind in other places than this, (a positive actually) plus took some of the "chatty" out of "cathy". Things are looking up now though and I do believe there is smooth sailing ahead! I do miss our old travel group, and the camaraderie there--wonder where everyone dispersed too? Would have thought we'd see more float over this way. I think about Jean often, wondering how she's doing! I was so pleasantly surprised with your area of FL. Don't blame you in the least for forsaking this coast for that. Neat area--"we'll be back". Yes business is terrific but weekends are weekends--we spent a beautiful one sailing this last one. Perfect wind, perfect skies--paradise found.

Statia...hey! Hope all is well with you too, and things in Houston. You were our hero over those months, I'll tell you! Don't forget where we are if you get near us for a buying trip, and somehow we've got to share in your dream home building when that starts, lucky girl!! You all have done things just right! PS...I will be coming to you for some Venice hints and do's and don'ts as that gets nearer. What sandals do we need for the vaporetto and is it always black black black in Venezia? lol

Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the kind words OliveOyl. I'll look forward to hearing from you. Feel free to email me at [email protected] so we can stay in touch. In the meantime, take care of yourself and enjoy your time on the water!
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions OliveOyl. I bet you miss the beautiful city of Savannah. We've not spent much time in Tampa. I did go with hubby on a business trip several years ago, when they first started restoring Ybor City. I remember running across an interesting series of buildings somewhere near the bay, I believe it was an old school. It was built in a Moorish style and was really fascinating. I remember making some drawings of it in my journal at the time.

I appreciate your suggestions about places to visit on the coast. The Ritz on Amelia Island was one that I did actually considered last year on a trip with a girlfriend. We ended up staying at the Ritz in West Palm because Amelia Island was booked at the time.

What would be your top two choices of either hotels and/or B & B's if you were going to Savannah for 3 or 4 days, and Beaufort?

I also love the idea of Beaufort. We drove through there two years ago and ate lunch at a place called the Plantation (I believe). Maybe a couple of nights there would be nice.

Have you heard anything about The Sanctuary on Kiawah? I ran across the website and it looks like something we would be interested in, but I don't believe it's open yet.

Thanks again for your suggestions. You would make a great travel agent!

Melissa

Search this Thread