Need suggestions for a Georgia coastline trip mid-March to mid-April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Mom recently died and I'm feeling a need to "get away" for a week or so. We have a son living in Atlanta and were thinking of visiting him for a couple of days, then heading to the coast. We're not sun worshipers but there's something very theraputic about walking the beach. I don't want to isolate, but neither am I up for major crowds. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Georgia's coast line is somewhat limited. Of course the first one would be Tybee Island at Savannah, then moving on down would be the Brunswick beaches fo St Simons, Sea Island and Jekyll. If you are going soon, there shouldn't be any crowds as it's still too chilly for sun bathing.

From Atlanta, you could easily get to Myrtle Beach. The beach is a great one to walk. Also for a very peaceful time, a visit to Brookgreen Gardens which is just south of MB on US 17 may be just the thing for you. It's outstanding. See www.brookgreen.org

Go from Atlanta to Myrtle Beach, spend the night, And let me suggest the Dayton House. Get an ocean view room. From Atlanta, you should get there in time to walk on the beach a good bit that afternoon. Take an early morning stroll the next day and then check out and go to Brookgreen, spend a couple of hours, have lunch at a nice restaurant in the Garden, walk around for a couple more hours, continue your trip down the coast on US 17 to the Savannah or Brunswick areas.

We did this last spring and throughly enjoyed the trip. It wasn't too long or boring. Just right.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Do a search here for 'Jeckyl Island;' 'St Simons Island;' (both off the coast at Brunswick). Also check 'Tybee' which is on the coast near Savannah. That might work for you as a mix between historic area and beach area. I can't make recommendations because when I am in GA, I stay with family and friends and do the 'family/friend' stuff rather than the tourist/beach stuff. And I can't remember when was the last time I went to either of these beaches. Thus...do a search.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks aileen679 and pollyvw. I appreciate your suggestions. Will make a cup of coffee now, and do my research! Kathy
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 03:39 PM

The Georgia coast is beautiful. I'm very sorry about your mother.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 05:21 PM

We love the Jekyll Island Club Hotel on Jekyll Island,GA www.jekyllclub.com It's not on the beach, but on the Intercoastal Waterway, and a short drive to the beach. It's very peaceful, lots of bike paths on the island and if you like historical homes, there are several on-site that you can tour. In fact, the hotel and surrounding property is a designated historical site. The once private club of the Rockefellers, JP Morgan, and Vanderbilts during the 1800s.

If you're willing to spend @$400-$500 a night, the Greyfield Inn on Cumberland Island is supposed to be wonderful. A private island with a limit on the number of folks who are allowed each day. Lots of beaches with wild horses and other wildlife. We have reservations for Memorial Day. I believe you can even take a day trip without staying at the inn. www.greyfieldinn.com Hope you find somewhere special to go.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Definitely will check out the Jekyll Club. However, the Greyfield Inn is out of our budget limits.
Thanks for your suggestions,dgarland.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:36 PM

I like Jekyll, and there are good walks to be had there. It is a barrier island, not as developed as St. Simons. The historic district is a park, fun and romantic. Just don't go looking for a really pretty beach. The hotels tend to be basic at best, but the Jekyll Island Club is nice, and if you have any interest in American history, it is an interesting place to stay. The on-site restaurants are about the best on the island. About another hour south on 95, you can get to Amelia Island. In Amelia, I like to stay at Elizabeth Point, a relatively large bed and breakfast, right on the beach. They make you feel comfortable and tended to.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 07:02 PM

To ebgibbs - We will have 3 hours of free time on Amelia Island between when the ferry drops us off from Greyfield Inn at 11:30am and when the taxi will take us to the airport. Any suggestions for lunch and a short walking tour? We will be able to leave our bags at the Greyfield Inn office at the docks. Sorry to intrude on your message line mkdiebold. Thanks
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 02:37 AM

So sorry about your loss. I just wanted to make sure that you didn't bypass Savannah. Along with Charleston, it's my favorite American city. Peaceful, flower-filled squares, lovely churches, great food. I would find it to be just the thing for quiet distractions.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Guy18: I'm definitely interested in visitng Savannah. We've already enjoyed Charleston, but Savannah was only a drive-thru on a rainy day. Would like to spend a few days there. Could you recommend accommodations? How about a small cottage? My husband hits the bed early, and I'm a night owl. A small cabin or cottage would be great. Any recommendations for "good value" restaurants would also be appreciated. We aren't stingy with our money, but this time around our "vacationing" has a different purpose...as you said, "just the thing for quiet distractions." Thanks!
Kathy [email protected]
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 01:28 PM

I didn't know if I should post or email. Figured I'd stick to the posting for now.

Savannah is not really a cottage or cabin-rental type of place. It's very much a b & b type of place. Google "Savannah b & b" and lots of places will come up. Just make sure that it's in the historic district. I'm actually headed there in about a month myself, but am staying a bit out of town for a variety of reasons. I can't recommend a particular b & b, since the one I stayed at and liked has closed. However, I can steer you away from "Joan's on Jones." I stayed there once because it is pet-friendly. It is also dirty and noisy. Through the ceiling we heard the proprietors fighting in the evening. I do think this was an anomaly, and you'll do fine to choose something off the web. Otherwise, set up a new post called "Savannah b & b wanted." Someone will be able to help you.

Also, Tybee Island is nice and very close to Savannah (you could actually drive there for the day while your staying in Savannah). It's a bit ticky-tacky, but in the best possible way, in my opinion. Jekyll Island, to which I've never been, is further away, and much more tranquil and upscale. So you'll just have to decide which type of place you want. Since Tybee is convenient to Savannah, you might want to stick to that. Although it is a bit built up, the beach is a nice one, and I think you'll find the peace there you're looking for.

A place I really enjoyed was the Firefly Cafe. Sort of funky and casual on one of the pretty squares. Indoor and outdoor seating. Great for lunch. If you watch the food channel, you know of Paula Deen. She has a restaurant called Lady and Sons that is quite well-known. If they take reservations, make sure you get one. I've never been, but a place called Belford's looks like it has a terrific brunch, and I plan to go. You might want to check it out. Found it on a website www.10best.com

If you're in Savannah in late March/early April, you should be able to see the azaleas.

Don't hesitate to post again. I or someone here will be happy to help!
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Check out this:

http://savannahgetaways.net/map.cfm

Quite a few of the listings are short term rentals. Also, do a google search for rental property at the beach. You should be able to rent a condo or other apartment for a week or two.

Tybee isn't the greatest beach in the world. It's small and it has a great pier. I love to go out on it and just sit. There's nothing quite like walking on the beach in the early morning.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:14 AM

dgarland-- I think I know where the drop off is for Greyfield Inn, and it is in "downtown" or "historic" Fernandina. There are lots of good shops there, and you can easily while away 3 hours. There are 2 good book stores, and if you walk down the main drag a bit, a large antique store. There are also lots of restaurants. Brett's is out on the water, and has a pretty view. The food is fine. But there are lots of other places. Stroll around and look at the menus. It is a fun place to be.