Reload this Page >

Olde Marco Inn vs. Hilton Marco Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 12:14 PM
John

We are planning a trip to Marco and Naples, FL in late March. I have narrowed the choice for accomodations on Marco Island to either the Hilton or Olde Marco Inn.

While I wouldn't mind the Marriott, I think it is probably overpriced at that time ($330+ per room) for anything a Marriott could offer. In addition, we're spending a week at the Ritz in Naples afterward so I'm not as concerned with splurging on a big resort with all the amenities on Marco.

My question is, though...whether the Olde Marco Inn or the Hilton would be better. The Olde Marco is offering an amazing rate for a 2-bedroom (brand new) suite overlooking the bay. I can get two junior suites at the Hilton for a somewhat reasonable rate.

Are there any special reasons for staying at one vs. the other? I realize that they are on opposite sides of the island. I am also aware that the Marco Inn is not beachfront, although it is nearby. Would it be inconvenient for us to drive from the Marco Inn to the Marriott or Hilton for lunch or dinner? In addition, do the Marriot and Hilton have private beaches that are inaccessible to the public?

Finally, any experience with the brand new Marco Beach Resort?

Thanks.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 12:47 PM
fla

Marco is an over developed concrete block full of condos condos condos- you would be better off saving your money!!

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 12:49 PM
John

Well, we're actually going to Florida to look into purchasing a winter residence for my grandmother, so perhaps an island of condos is just what the doctor ordered!

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Paula

We always stay @ the MI Hilton & love it! However, the beach is accessible to the public but generally only people staying @ the Hilton use the beach area in front of the Hilton. Now, I will warn you in advance that if there happens to be a convention @ the Hilton while you are there the beach/pool area becomes very crowded & noisy w/ the cenventioneers playing their little team-building games! We always phone ahead & make sure that there are no conventions scheduled for the time that we intend to be there. Except for that, I think the Hilton on MI is a wonderful place for you to stay! And, as for the above poster who described MI as a 'concrete block' he/ she neglected to mention that said 'concrete block' happens to be situated on a gorgeous beach with spectacular sunsets!

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 02:06 PM
John

Thanks Paula...another reason I decided against the Marriott is the fact that they will be having a major convention while we are planning to be on Marco. I will check with the Hilton per your suggestion.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 08:56 PM
anon

Poor old granny shuffled off to concrete condominium heaven just to make everyone happy!
Marco Island has to be one of the less desirable places to spend the winter

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Patrick

I have lived in nearby Naples for 25 years. I personally do not like Marco. To me it is more of a concrete jungle than anything, and there is little of quality there, other than some nice beaches. But I know a lot of people who have lived there for years and couldn't be happier. We don't all have the same taste. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

If someone wants to go visit or even live in Marco Island, more power to them. There is something for everyone right? Why basically are some of you so nasty about the place?

To anon: "one of the less desirable places to spend the winter"??? As opposed to Fargo, N.D. or Buffalo, N.Y. for starters??? I may not like the place, but get real -- Marco is a good spot to spend a winter.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Patrick

Sorry, I logged on to answer your question, John, and got distracted by the insulters.
Although it sounds like a good deal and the apartments at the O.M.Inn are supposed to be very nice (I've never seen one), I think I would opt for the beach place. After all that's the main draw in Marco. The Olde Marco Inn is a nice place to have dinner, so I think the same question applies -- why not drive to it from the Hilton as opposed to the other way around. I wouldn't think your room at the Inn would have much of any view -- judging from having been there. The Inn is also practically next door to the casual but fun Snook Inn, so I wouldn't worry about accessability. My least favorite places to eat would probably be the big hotels like the Hilton.
I suppose it depends upon what you like. The Olde Marco Inn is a little more like an overgrown bed and breakfast, while the Hilton is. . .well, a Hilton.