Search

Oklahoma City

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Amy

Oklahoma City

I will be traveling to Oklahoma City next week on a business trip. Anyone have any suggestions of restaurants to try or evening activities? Planning to see the Memorial. Thanks

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 01:25 PM
texasgirl

Yes, definitely see the memorial; it is striking and beautiful yet unspeakably sad. I have not been there since they opened the museum portion. but it's supposed to be interesting as well.

Near downtown is an area called Bricktown, which is warehouses built around a mile-long man-made canal. Mostly chains and such but I did like Tapwerks, a brewpub-like place with good beers and decent bar food. I don't think it's fully developed yet but it's still kinda fun to wander around if you're downtown. Also, OKC has a big Asian community and some really great little Thai//Vietnamese restaurants, all in the same neighborhood a little north of downtown. They are not fancy but great food. Sorry can't remember names but there are at least a dozen up there, in an area where there are some fledgling galleries and a few coffeehouses and such. Go online and search for the daily oklahoman, the okc newspaper, and you can get overall restaurant suggestions from their review section.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Christie

The National Cowboy Hall of Fame is also in OKC, and if you are even the least bit interested in western heritage and art, you will enjoy it. They have some fabulous Remington original bronzes, too.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Deborah Perry

My husband and I lived in OKC for 2 years and visit friends there frequently. Someone else had suggested Bricktown for nightlife and that is one of your best bets. As for restaurants, our favorites are Terraluna which serves continental southwest food; Red Rock which is on Lake Hefner - great patio for sunset viewing; Sushi Nekko - if you like sushi this place is great and La Baguette which is a French cafe.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 09:25 AM
frankie

Stay away from the Memorial.
It is a very bad part of town.
Police recently shot a man there who was running around threatening people with a knife.
For restaurants, Bricktown is mostly bars, many gay (if that's your thing).
Try N.E. 23rd street area.
Have fun.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Carol

The memorial is definitely worth seeing.
Bricktown is neat and very safe. NE 23rd
is definitely NOT safe. Don't go there.
Western Heritage Center is a must. Best
Mexican food in OKC is Ted's out close
to NW 61st & May, but Abuelo's in Brick-
town is close second. Charlie Newton's
at NW 70th & Western is excellent.

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll find a surprise in OKC; there's an eclectic mix of things to do there.

*Enterprise Square, USA - A quirky museum dedicated to the principles of capitalism, only in a much more fun way than any macroeconomics lecturer ever could.

*National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum - Without a doubt, a classy gem showcasing some of the country's finest Western art (including works by Frederic Remington), cowboy portraits, a replicated western town, Native American pieces, the powerful End of the Trail statue, and more

*Bricktown - Indian cuisine. A classy steakhouse dedicated to Mickey Mantle. Water taxis. 7-clubs-in-one club. Blues and barbecue. A modernist art bar. OU/OSU memorabilia. VR games and brewery. A refined and intimate cigar lounge. Romantic carriage rides. Authentic Mexican food. Sushi (coming soon). Jumping fountains. Indoor climbing. One of the best ballparks in the country. Southwestern dining. Brickoven pizza. Jazz, techno, disco, dueling pianos, rock and salsa. You can find these and more at Bricktown.

*Myriad Botanical Gardens - Lush flora and some fauna, indoor and out. In what other place can you experience the climates of the desert and the tropics within a few hundred feet?

*Stockyards City - Go there on Monday mornings, and you'll find something that's strangely entertaining: a cattle auction. Believe me. Also on its Main Street district, you can find real western wear and Cattlemen' Steakhouse, a cafe of local legend.

*OKC National Memorial - A poignant memorial and museum. The adjacent Catholic and Methodist churches have their own sanctuaries in addition.

*Oklahoma City Zoo - One of the nation's best, and the oldest in the Southwest. The GreatEscApe exhibit, featuring primates, is particularly fascinating.

*Remington Park - Even if you don't bet, the races at this track are simply thrilling in themselves.

Paseo Arts District - A city within a city block. This artists neighborhood, built in the style of a Spanish village, is quite possibly OKC's best kept secret. Several artists' studios, a "Friends"-type cafe, and unique shops, compose OKC's own slice of Bohemia.

*Lake Hefner - Locals use it to sail, bike, rollerblade, fly a kite, or jog. But they also go there to dine at one of three great restaurants; a seafood eatery, an upscale establishment popular with the after-work crowd, and a caribbean-themed restaurant; go there just before sundown, and you'll see a sunset unlike any other in OKC.

*State Capitol - Recently topped off with a dome, this neoclassical beauty has been given a facelift inside and out, and on the plaza. Heading up north on Lincoln from downtown or I-40/I-35, you can see on the way the state's next oil economies: biotech and health care. Heading south from I-44 on Lincoln, you can see the Lincoln Renaissance project underway.

Omniplex - A planetarium. Science musueum. Native American artifacts. IMAX-type theatre. Photography hall of fame. All at this "Amusement Park for the Mind".

Oklahoma City Art Museum - Andy Warhol pop art and an Alexander Calder mobile call this home, as do Asian Art, European Art from the 17th to 19th centuries, and American and European portraits. A stunning Dale Chihuly piece welcomes you. Go there Thursday nights for the socials and Friday nights and weekends for the foreign/arthouse/classic/local films. Just opened this year in downtown Oklahoma City.

Little Saigon - OKC's own Chinatown, on the corner of Classen and NW 23rd. No real cultural attractions just yet, but great Vietnamese, Chinese, and Thai dining. Grand House and Sala Thai are the stars of this district.

Blazers Hockey at the Ford Center - Hockey in Oklahoma? You bet. Oklahoma-style madness can be found at these games, arguably the most successful minor league operation in the country.

Civic Center Music Hall and Stage Center- Topnotch concerts, speeches, touring Broadway productions, local theatre, dance, choral music and OKC's Philharmonic can be found in the former, an Art Deco shrine. More independent theatre can found in the latter, a building so off-the-wall it was featured in Architecture magazine. Both are in downtown OKC.

If you have some time, head down south on I-35 to the University of Oklahoma campus in Norman. Not only can you find one of the loveliest campuses in the country, but also the best university-based natural history museum in the country and the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art, with its own impressive collection of Impressionist art -- Monet, Renoir, Degas, they're all there. There's also that other shrine of human emotion -- Memorial Stadium, home to OU's football team.

This should be more than enough to keep you busy for the length of your stay. You might even (gasp!) want to come back!
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 09:36 PM

Howdy,

I'm here visting home now. Bahama Breeze on Lake Hefner is very nice. I also just went to a fun place called Texas Roadhouse on I-240. They carve their own meat and you throw peanuts on the floor. Ted's on N. May is a small joint but known for its Mexican Food. Have a swirl drink at Varsity.

The memorial is an important place and safe during the day. You could catch Shakespeare (spelling?) in the park in Edmond. Chicago is playing right now too. There are many spots for live music or dancing. If you don't know much about country, InCahoots is an interesting place. Check how late the Omniplex is open. Bricktown isn't gay. There's a place with 7 clubs in one- City Lights or something.

Shop at Penn Square Mall. I grew up in Norman which has a fun campus area.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 02:45 PM

A few notes on dining and nightlife:

The Latino community has not been shy in sharing their culture in Oklahoma City. South Oklahoma City's Commerce Street is becoming a veritable Little Mexico, with bakeries, churches, restaurants, fairs, and a Spanish-language radio station. La Pachanga is a top dance spot, and Chelino's has become an OKC institution. Mixed in all this activity, is, of all things, the Oklahoma Opry.

Chemistry is the latest addition to Bricktown's dance scene, playing mostly alternative/techno and house music. Bricktown's quietest success story is the cigar lounge Maker's, which offers jazz in an intimate setting. Next year, that angler's paradise called Bass Pro Shops will open, as will Oklahoma's finest cinema, the Bricktown canal-hugging Harkins Theater. And, Sonic Restaurant's corporate headquarters will bring new dimension to this warehouse community.

Oklahoma City's N. Western is where its culinary soul lies. There you'll find popular independents in Deep Fork Grill (seafood), The Metro (for its winery), Iguana Lounge (tropical/Mexican), TerraLuna Grille (vegetarian), Flip's Wine Bar and Trattoria (for late night), and the dean of OKC dining, Coach House. Not far from them on Pennsylvania is Bellini's Italian, considered by Zagat's to be OKC's best. It overlooks a pond adjacent to the Waterford Hotel.

A new restaurant has opened at the Paseo District -- a romantic Malaysian spot called Cafe Bargoos.

I mention these, but if you ask Oklahoma Citians where they take visitors, they'll say Applewoods. Famous for their apple-spiced pork chops and the neverending service of sugar-dusted apple fritters. An OKC legend.

Finally: Oklahoma City is working on its seven-mile strip of natural bliss on the North Canadian riverfront next to downtown. The attraction will be the Smithsonian-affiliated Native American Cultural Center, which will offer, among other things, an art market and powwow grounds. Just started is competitive rowing at the Bricktown Boathouse. An extreme-style skate park is in the works, followed by a link to a rejuvenated Stockyards City. Of course, miles of trails will line the shore. You'll be able to live riverside, as well.

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 08:08 PM

Yes, Chelino's is awesome. Great food. You can't stop eating the salsa and dips. And the warm sopapias (sp?)They are family-owned and are also in Norman, Purcell and elsewhere. I just want to say that no where else have people been nicer to a table with kids!

The Italian place was Zio's.

Thanks for the other tips. I'll check more out this week.

Any fun places to buy kids boots?
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:00 PM

Don't foget Crackel Barrel (spelling?) for a true southern - give you a heart-attack - breakfast.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 07:27 PM

Islandmom, how long will you be visiting Oklahoma City? For kid's boots, or anybody else's boots, go to Stockyards City. At the very least, Tener's will have a selection.

A couple of other dining notes:

Cafe Bella has been attracting a good mix of patrons since it opened in south Oklahoma City on Penn and 89th -- high school students, coffee diehards, commuters and nearby professionals, and Asians (the owners are Vietnamese). Why so? Because it not only serves up cups o' joe and cafe fare, but also Boba tea -- a rage on the coasts. Boba tea is a flavored drink that features fun tapioca balls on the bottom of the cup. The high schoolers, in particular, have taken to the tea.

Another fun dining option is Hideaway Pizza -- the most popular pizza in town, also on N Western. It's the OKC location of a Stillwater, OK-based chain. Alfredo chicken, Big Country they're all there.

Finally, on Saturday mornings, you'll find a line for breakfast at the Classen Grill. The diner fare is worth a trip to OKC by itself.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 07:35 PM

I'm still here. We did pick up boots there. She also loved the horse show at the fairgrounds. Which was also a great spot to pick up country style gifts. The horse show is free.

Still eating too much too! Went to Coaches in Norman today. A sports bar with BBQ, burgers, salads etc. Had ants on the table! And my mediteranean (spelling?) salad had bacon.

I'm loving panini sandwiches and pasta meals for kids at Fazolis Italian food fast. Is that a national chain?

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:18 AM

Fazoli's, Cracker Barrel, Bahama Breeze and Texas Roadhouse are all chain restaurants that can be found in major cities.

I must agree with the Cowboy Hall of Fame. EXCELLENT museum!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:24 AM
MileKing

Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 03:43 PM

Islandmom, you're missing out on so much if you limit yourself to chains. Oklahoma City offers a wonderful array of independents. Try one of the restaurants on N. Western that I mentioned earlier. If you must stay in Norman, try the upscale Danny's Steakhouse or the more bohemian (and affordable) choices at the University of Oklahoma's Campus Corner village -- Victoria's Pasta Shop, La Baguette (coffeehouse), Lovelight (vegetarian/wholesome food) or Toto's, where language students go to practice their Spanish. Brother's is the quintessential live music/pub fare campus joint.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 04:51 PM

An update on what was written earlier: the sushi place, Lotus, has been open for a few months. The interior is the most electric of the Bricktown restaurants, displaying local art (available for purchase) accompanied by various shades of light. It also specializes on seafood and steak.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:13 PM

We lived in OKC for 8 years. Now live in Tulsa (much better in my opinion) but my husband goes to OKC several times per month on business.

La Baguette is his favorite restaurant--he ate lunch there today. He also really likes the sushi place previously mentioned. There are numerous good Vietnamese restaurants and Mexican places. Personally I don't like Abuelos (it is a chain) and can't stand Coaches (another small chain). Zios is part of the Mazzio's pizza chain (a Tulsa company) and though I do eat there on occasion, there are many better choices for Italian.

On the other hand, speaking of chain restaurants, I have been eating at Hideaway Pizza for years, and love it. The pepperoni pizza is absolutely loaded with pepperoni.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:07 PM

designmr - I believe most of those places are closed except La Baguette, Toto's and Brother's. One of my favorites is The Mont. Tomorrow we continue our quest to find more new spots.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 02:34 PM

Islandmom, yes, The Mont is a classic in Norman. So is O'Connell's Pub on Jenkins. There are also a good string of local restaurants on Norman's Main Street. Last time I checked, there was The Diner, Bison Witches (for buffalo wings), and an internet cafe.

There are two touristy places with a quality all their own on I-35: Barry's Chicken Ranch and the Indian Hills Steakhouse -- a local favorite for carnivores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -