Ohau vs Maui

Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Ohau vs Maui

We want to take out 21 and 23 yr olds to Hawaii Dec 04. I have heard conflicting opinions as to where we should go. Ohau is too commercial and Maui is too quiet. Whick location would be better for young adults?
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:53 PM

See my "depends on you kids" post, I accidently posted a new message instead of a reply
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:53 PM

You mean Oahu?
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:13 PM

I don't know many people who would characterize Maui as "too quiet". Many people now complain that it's too built up and commercialized.
The Honolulu area is indeed very commerical, but most of the remainder of Oahu is relatively quiet, and quite beautiful.
Outside Honolulu, Kaanapali area on Maui is the most active and offers the best options for 21-23 year olds, assuming they're looking for nightlife, bars, dancing, etc.
If they're looking for outdoor activities like water sports, biking, hiking, etc you can go to any of the main islands and find plenty to do.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:54 AM

We have two 23 year olds and we are taking them to Kaanapali in April. We went last year and we felt they would love this area. Don't know about Oahu.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:28 AM

Either island should be fine. Oahu has a "big city" vibe and there's plenty of nightlife. You can drive out of the city and go up to the North Shore, explore the country, etc., if you get tired of the urban scene.

Maui's not quiet at all. It doesn't have a big city area like Oahu, but there's lots of fun things to do. Stay in either Kaanapali or Wailea--nice beaches, restaurants, bars, and shopping. I can't imagine any 20something not having a blast on either island!
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:41 AM

I don't think you should compare the two islands. Oahu and Maui are different and special in their own right. Kind of like camparing Arizona and California, you would not do it, you make a trip for each. Oahu has the largest ciy and the state capital. The outerislands are less developed but Mauai is probably the most developed of all of them. Does not mean that you can't find remotes spots on each of the islands. That is how I see them. It is all about what you are looking for in a vacation. Not sure why you entered ages?
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:43 PM

I lost sleep over the same issue last year. We are in our late 30's but we love travelling to big cities.

Ended up going to Oahu and stayed in Waikiki. Best vacation we EVER had!!!

Yes Honolulu is a big city, but it is surrounded by paradise. We shopped in the ultra cleans super friendly city, and rented a convertible every few days and traveled the whole Island.

Was fantastic!!!

We can't wait to go back, and hopefully someday get a condo there.

The flights from Honolulu to Maui are quick and cheap running several times a day.

If you wanted you could easily stay in Oahu and travel just for the day to Maui, or stay a few days then return.

Olaha airlines has a website you can check or even book a ticket now.

My advice is do both if you are unsure.
Jan 25th, 2004, 09:52 PM

Ohau has wall to wall people. If you like a crowded beach - it has lots to do. But I do not like bumping into people on the sidewalk. I want to get away from it and enjoy the beauty. When you are at the beach the blankets almost touch each other - there are so many people. 20 year olds may prefer the crouds with lots of night life - I just feel you loose a lot of the beauty when it is sooooo crowded.
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:49 AM

Only Waikiki is crowded. The windward side, northshore or Leeward sides are nice.