Ogunquit Maine Hotels

Search

Ogunquit Maine Hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ogunquit Maine Hotels

My husband & I are planning to go to Ogunquit for the first time end of June for 4 nights.This is our first getaway without our son & I am trying to make it romantic. I am looking for a hotel( have researched many) that has great views but walking distance to beach & all the restaurants. This is the main criteria. Others include, I dont want a motel looking room & prefer having privacy on the balcony if possible ( all the pictures of reputed hotels are showing neighbors within arms length ). We are fond of nice ambiance, dont care about pool etc as long as close to town & restaurants, prefer walking distance.
Also what else is there to see in Ogunquit & any restaurant recommendations. For the hotel we are willing to spend upto $300 a night. Thanks in advance, in the last 5 years all my trips have been fab due to fodorites. Happy Memorial Day !
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:57 PM

first choice for our getaways is SeaChambers- great pool and dock and chairs to soak up the everchanging views.

Second choice is the corner room at Sparhawk on the ocean, next to the marginal way.

Above tide inn is also cool!

We like 98 Provence and haven't seen what's up yet with 5'O but they are always good for drinks and higher end barfood. Joshuas down the road is wonderful. If you get a room with a view and out door seating, then send your husband down the road to Mike's for fresh steamed lobsters to enjoy in your bathrobes
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:59 PM

I missed the part about neighbors at arms length. It is a tough one. Seachambers is my favorite, but it is motelish and lacks any outdoor privacy but is on prime land with great outdoor places to hang and enjoy.
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:43 AM

You have to understand the configuration of Ogunquit. "Town" is along busy US Route 1, lined on either side with motels. Toward/on the ocean/river is Perkins Cove, with roads approaching lined on either side with motels/hotels/B&B's. At many, you can achieve a "partial ocean view", which also includes views of parking lots and neighboring accommodations.

There are some more isolated places to stay, but most, such as the Cliff House (awesome) on Bald Head, are not within walking distance of anything.

You say you don't want a "motel looking room", but the Riverside Motel is nicely located with privacy and views of Perkins Cove.

Have a look at the Beachmere...

And, the Ogunquit visitors website is one of the best...with a full color 100+ page guide including accommodations, dining, shopping, seeing and doing, etc.
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks alot.I am slowly understanding that most are motel type rooms and I have no choice but which hotel is good & walking distance to town, we dont want to drive there if we can avoid it.Thanks so much for your responses.
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:16 AM

I would choose an ocean view room at the places I suggested or also the Beachmere or any in that area. The tide changes so dramatically that to be there and witness it on the grounds or lanai, while sipping some chardonay is a treat. Watching the crowds on the beach find space as the tide receeds, watching the tubing and swimming down the currents of the tidal river. It is a constantly changing treat for the eyes.

We also love the Lobster Shack in Perkins Cove for chili dogs, lobster rolls and basic fish chowder. Good people.
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:16 AM

Many lodgings are on/near the trolley route. The trolley runs weekends in June, then daily through the summer starting the last weekend in June.

There's no problem parking/driving in Ogunquit before July 4th, especially weekdays.

If you're stayig 4 nights, and you've seen all of Ogunquit in a day or two, Kennebunkport and the Yorks are a short drive and well worth a visit.
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:23 AM

Also there are some lovely little coves on the Marginal Walk. When the tide is low, it is a real treat to spend a few hours down there to change things up from Ogunquit beach. I have spent most of my life visiting York, Ogunquit, Wells and Kennebunkport. It is a very beautiful area. Good luck deciding.
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:02 PM

We've visited Maine several times. Is there a special reason for choosing Ogunquit? Just wondered! I ask because the Yorks are nearby and offer some nice facilities, too.

For example, the York Harbor Inn has rooms at various rates, some with a balcony looking out at the water. (You can visit their bar at the lower level and enjoy a beer or a drink, plus free food of various kinds, at happy hour, and then walk out across the street and enjoy the ocean right there, too.) You might check their web site.

Also, Chapman Cottage, just down the street from the York Harbor Inn, has some VERY romantic rooms, very un-motel like, and the chef serves a fabulous dinner! Check their web site, too.

I also agree with Froderick about the Lobster Shack in Perkins Cove.

Let's see what others day.

I hope you both enjoy yourselves, regardless!

Vermonter
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the replies.Retired Vermonter, no special reason for ogunquit,will check out york right now also.We like charming fishing towns like Mystic,CT & have never been to Maine & a friend suggested Ogunquit.Froderick, thanks for the hotel suggestions, I am leaning towards Beachmere probably.Have to book soon & plan on doing that today.Thanks everyone for your replies, it truly helps a ton.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 09:43 AM

Sounds fantastic. When you day trip to York make sure you take the Shore Rd at the fork entering Perkins Cove. Actuallly there are a few shore roads that shouln't be missed. Moody Beach up to Wells and Kennebunkport Beach road. Hug the coast whenever possible to see beachside communities and amazing shore views.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 08:56 AM

bkmk
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 01:24 AM

We are from CT so we remember Mystic well! There are a LOT of quaint places along the coast of Maine, but you often have to turn off Rte 1 and go explore down a "finger" a bit to a small town off the beaten path to find what you seem to want to see.