Ogunquit info needed

Search

Ogunquit info needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ogunquit info needed

whats the best place to stay at? Anybody have any suggestions, or know anything about Meadowmere or Anchorage by the Sea>
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 09:27 AM

We go to Ogunquit frequently and think staying on the Marginal Way is great. To some extent it depends who you are and who you're traveling with. It's usually just my husband and me. If we were traveling with children, we would probably seek out other places than the ones I'll mention.

In any case, Anchorage is pretty much a full-srvice ( pool, small cafe)on the Marginal Way. Rooms are pretty much the usual double room in any good hotel/motel. Try to get one with a water view. Fine for couples or families. We prefer Beachmere Inn--again on the MW. A combo of an old Victorian and a motel building. Great views from almost all rooms. Furnishings could use some updating, but the view is so great that we keep going back. Most rooms at Beachmere have little kitchenettes. Also nice if you want more a B and B type place is Rockmere Lodge. Not on the MW but still on the water is the Dunes---little cottages, very nice setting. Not on the water but very nice is Hartwell House.

Our favorite restaurant is 98 Provence. Hurricanes in Perkins Cove is also nice with a great view.

And the beach----just fabulous. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 09:40 AM

We stayed at the Dunes last summer and liked it a lot. We had a little trouble with the mosquitos but that's probably true everywhere. The Dunes is very quiet and access to the beach is unbeatable. Some cabins have kitchens but ours didn't -- I think you have to reserve early for one of those.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much, I will look into the beachmere inn. Do you thinking being on the marginal way is better than being on route 1 and if you stay on main st or route 1 how far of a walk is it to the beach and perkins cove
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:49 AM

I think staying on the Marginal Way is much better than staying on Rte 1. Rte 1 is a main road from Ogunquit up to Wells and is very heavily traveled. Walking to Perkins Cove from most of the places on Rte 1 would be a very long walk. However, the easiest way to get around no matter where you stay are the Trolleys. They run a regular route from Perkins Cove to the Beach and up Route 1 to the various motels. For us the advantages of the MW are the beautiful views, the ability to walk along the MW to Perkins Cove and the ability to walk to the beach. Parking in Perkins Cove is VERY tight so walking or the trolley are the best options.

I don't want to mislead you on Route 1----there are some very nice properties there with lots of amenities (pools etc), I just prefer the natural beauty of the MW.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 05:08 AM

Hi Shari!
I agree with MaggieOB. If given the preference, you'd definitely want to stay on the Marginal Way. I also agree with her restaurant suggestions! For casual fare, add Barnacle Billy's to your list, and we also like the Oar House for lobsters with a view.
If you are bringing any children, be sure to add the Spar Hawk hotel to your list of inquiries.
Have a great trip!
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 05:14 AM

If you are willing to spend a little, make sure you eat at Provence. Nothing is more romantic. Make sure you make a reservation. The place has very special memories for us. I hope it will have the same for you. You will love Ogunquit. Take a drive to the Cape Porpoise Lobster Pound (about 5-10 miles from Kennbeunport). It is right on the water of a VERY SMALL fishing town. Terrific.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:23 PM

Some web sites for you:
http://www.barnbilly.com/
http://www.beachmereinn.com/
http://www.mainediner.com/
http://www.ogunquit.org/
We love staying at the Sparhawk and walking the MW in the evening to Barnacle Billy's for lobster.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:56 PM

Keep in mind that traffic in Ogunquit on a summer weekend is terrible. It can take you an hour to get from one side of town to the other. The trolleys get stuck as much as the other vehicles, so they're not much of a help. For that reason, staying along the Marginal Way is preferable because you can walk to the beach, shopping, restaurants, etc.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 08:30 PM

One of the best websittes for accommodations in Maine is the Maine Innkeepers Association at maineinns.com. Might give you some help.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 10:32 PM

Shari= definitely eat at Provence-- and make sure you get a margarita at the bar-- the bartenderess made the BEST ones and gave us her recipe!!
Food was fabulous!!!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate all the info, I think I am leaning towards Anchorage by the Sea, the Beachmere only had reservations at an off property. Tried to call the Sparhawk but not open yet, and couldn't find a website for them. Do most of you live near Maine? I live on Long Island.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 02:31 PM

We really like the Sparhawk. We stayed there for a weekend in May of last year and will be returning. We stayed at Anchorage by the Sea (next door)one year and did not like it as much (catered more to families with small children) and not as romantic. We are staying in Room #9 which is on the second floor with the bed facing the ocean. There is a balcony outside which overlooks the water, and two bucket chairs inside the room overlooking the water in case it is too cold to be outside. You can walk into town and to Perkins Cove from the Sparhawk. We didn't use the car all weekend - walked to dinner each night. Their number is 207-646-5562 and someone is there during weekday working hours to take your reservation. We live in CT, and it's a great place for a weekend getaway.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 10:23 PM

If you're into pools...getta loada this one!

www.ogunquitmotel.com