Off the beaten track Hawaii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hiya. Going to Hawaii in a few weeks (Oahu, Maui and Kauai). Although I'll be on a tour with my family for a fair bit of it, there are a number of free days on each island.

I'm looking for some off the beaten track activities to do - great walking tours, sails, hikes, dives, etc. I'm interested in both outdoor activities and cultural stuff. And if you've got any suggestions of great restaurants (I'm a very adventurous eater) that may be hidden gems, I'd love your thoughts!

Cheers
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The "Revealed" series of guidebooks for each island has that kind of thing.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 09:59 AM

You mentioned that you're interested in cultural things - while on Oahu go on a tour at the Iolani Palace - it's only about $20 pp and it's very informative and the Palace is beautiful. There's also the Bishop Museum and Queen Emma's Summer home that are very interesting. The Moana Surfrider Hotel (Waikiki's first hotel) offers a free tour of the hotel and (depending on the guide you get) it offers a lot of history of Waikiki as well. Hawaii's history if fascinating. Of course the Arizona & Mighty Mo are very worthy of a visit also.

One other thing that I really enjoyed last summer was a hike up Makapu'u Point - it was absoultely gorgeous and the hike itself wasn't bad - sort of steep in a some places, but mostley fine. The views from up there were incredible.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34812564
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 07:14 PM

Re eating, you say you're an adventurous eater, but what do you consider 'great restaurants'--holes in the wall? smaller fine-dining places? what kind of food?

Here's a link w/ a lot of local food suggestions, almost all down-market and way off the tourist track:

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/421684
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 10:31 PM

KAUAI - the kauai Museum gives a great lesson on the history of the islands also on Kauai, snorkeling tour (Cpt'n Andy is the best), bike riding in Hanalei, tubing, Botanical Gardens, helicopter ride, zip lining. Horseback riding

OAHU - check out the Doris Duke estate for something different. I booked tix on line. You catch a van at the oahu academy of art Very interesting estate built by Doris Duke - great designs, incredible details in the house, and wonderful art. Also agree on the iolani palace and of course Pearl Harbor and the Missouri. Hiking Diamond Head is fun for all ages and the views are incredible.