A week in Oahu

Old Feb 21st, 2019, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A week in Oahu

Hey everyone. I am taking my mom to Hawaii for a week for her birthday, Christmas, mother’s day, and who knows how many more special occasions. 😂I have already booked our hotel and flights but I’m needing help planning what all we’re going to do while there. I know she wants to see Pearl Harbor and take a tour of the island and I want to do a few more adventures things (kayaking, hiking, maybe a surf lesson) if I have the time to do so. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any must do activities? Also my mom doesn’t know how to swim but I think I read somewhere about a submarine tour of the reefs? Does anyone know about this? I would love for her to be able to see the reef.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 07:48 AM

When we went to Oahu for the first time, we did not know it was unnecessary to pay for a Pearl Harbor "tour". Visiting the Valor in the Pacific Memorial is free, but, reserved timed tickets are necessary. If you can get there on your own (by rental car, which we did not have on our first trip) you can dispense with the expense of a van tour.

https://www.nps.gov/valr/index.htm

Even a non-swimmer can enjoy the walled off portion of Waikiki beach, wading to the knees in the calm water. Do that if she will.

A lot of people disparage the Dole plantation, but we had a lot of fun there. It's a neat throwback to the days when Hawaii grew all the pineapples...reduced to a tourist attraction but perfect for your first visit - after all we are tourists!

We also felt we wasted a lot of money on a luau at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel on the recommendation of a friend. Fun, but, wow so expensive. Subsequent friends have recommended the one at the Polynesian Cultural Center as the best on Oahu. I have not done so.

On our couple other trips to Oahu, we have always enjoyed the outdoor bar at the Moana Surfrider Hotel and make this a must stop for us.

Just some random thoughts to spur discussion. My brother and his wife took the submarine ride and rated it as "pretty good" but, like everything else in Hawaii, pretty expensive.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 12:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
May or may not be of interest but there are historic and cultural kinds of things, besides the natural beauty of the island... Iolani Palace was my favorite tour to do! Fascinating. But there's also Bishop Museum, Foster Botanical Gardens, Kuan Yin temps at the gardens, etc. I spend a lot of time at the parks (Kapiolani and Fort de Russy) and the beach, the hotel pool relaxing too. The various street and Farmer's Markets are fun. Many opportunities to see/hear free Hawaiian music and dance.

Personally I've never done any of the paid excursions to comment on those. I know they are of interest to many, but I'm on a budget and find plenty to see and do for cheap or free. aloha, suze
Old Feb 24th, 2019, 09:01 AM

When we drive around Oahu we make a stop at the Byodo-In Temple. It's lovely and quiet although depending when you go, their CAN be a lot of people. I ring the gong, light some incense and enjoy the grounds and the Koi.
If your mom has no big mobility issues the big flea market at Aloha Stadium can be fun. I was not a fan of the Luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center, but I can't tell anyone not to go. Everyone has different tastes and some people love it so if it suits your time frame and budget, go. I haven't been in a long time so any criticism would be "old news" anyway.

IF you want a luau, do some research, look at reviews and see what seems most appealing. That's probably what I will do on my next trip.
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 06:07 AM

Could write a whole book on this response, but you only have a week! Thinking back to the first time I was there (1 week Oahu then 1 week Maui), helps me offer some suggestions that you may find useful.
Try and get into the culture first hand, by finding opportunities to mix with some locals, not just tourists and guides. Very friendly people.
But do take a guided tour early in the week (half day tour) that gives you a real feel for the place, and the guides are usually informative and entertaining. Then rent a car and do the North Shore, etc. on your own.
Some people consider luaus too expensive and touristy, but they are a lot of fun, and I think you should do one. We've been to many, liked Paradise Cove the best.
The evening show at Polynesian Cultural Centre is spectacular, but with only one week, you may not be able to spend a full day at that site.
You can also do a lot of the Honolulu area activities that take less than a day each. And for Pearl Harbor, make sure that you reserve tickets for the Navy launch that drops you off at the Arizona Memorial for a short while; there is only a small admin fee for that.
Hopefully, you will develop a real sense of the "Aloha spirit" that people talk about, and, before you leave Oahu, are able to enjoy some quiet time in quiet places to soak it all up!
And take it home with you....

Old Feb 27th, 2019, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I had completely forgotten about going to a luau! I think we may do the diamond head luau since it’s close to our hotel and because we’re probably not renting a car while we’re there. I’m not the best driver when it comes to larger cities.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 01:09 PM

Meadowstobay, What a lovely gift for your mom! I love, love, love Hawaii and could wax poetic! That being said, If your mom is interested in Pearl Harbor, she might also be interested in the National Cemetery in the Punchbowl. It's got an amazing graphic display of all the Pacific battles from WWII. I always wanted to take my dad there, but alas never come to fruition and now he's gone.

The Polynesian Cultural Center is really interesting and to see everything would probably take the better part of a day. As for a luau, we have done the one at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and the one at the Hale Koa Hotel. Both were very good, but I would recommend the Royal Hawaiian over the Hale Koa - besides you have to be military to attend that one, I believe.

Driving around the island is really wonderful. Take your time and stop as you see things of interest. The Kualoa Ranch on the North Shore has some interesting tours and their property is beautiful. Lots of movies filmed there so that's interesting. The Dole Pineapple Plantation is nice and interesting, but rather touristy.

My husband and I will be returning to Hawaii in November on a cruise, and I hope to be able to spend some extended time in the Haleawia area. Last time we were there, the surfing championship was going on and the traffic was a nightmare so we didn't stop. I've read about several things I want to visit there.

Have a wonderful time! Hawaii is magical, to say the least!

Aloha,
Chris