Iolani Palace Question

Search

Iolani Palace Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iolani Palace Question

I have been to Hawaii countless times and have never even considered going to this palace. Although, i noticed that several people suggested it on this site...basically, I was just wondering what is so great about it. Am I missing something that I should really see. THANKS.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 06:59 AM

www.iolanipalace.org

You'll need to make reservations to go into the Iolani Palace. But since you've been to Hawaii many times, yes, go see it. It's lovely. King Kalakaua was a very innovative man. It's the only royal palace in the US, and full of the history of the islands. It was built around 1880, and is in the Victorian style. And it was one of the first buildings (in the US, not just in Hawaii) to have telephones installed (I sais he was an innovative man). After Queen Lili'uokalani was overthrown, its furniture, paintings and fittings were sold off. Much has been returned, and seeing the palace is well worth the time. Take the grand tour. And if possible, go on Friday, where from 12 noon to 1pm, the Royal Hawaiian Band plays music by the Coronation Pavilion (by King & Richards Streets). So get a picnic and enjoy downtown and the whole historic area.

And while you're there, go visit the King Kamehameha Statue (across the street), the Mission Houses Museum (a block away) and the Kawaiahao Church (the oldest church in Honolulu. Two Services on Sunday in Hawaiian and English).
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 07:21 AM

Well if you want to have a sense of Hawaiian history it is one of the best sights on Oahu for it. The guides are very good and give you an excellent recount of the last days of the monarchy. Yeah, I think you are missing a great deal if you skip. Very much like skipping Pearl Harbor only this is the story of a once sovereign nation. I think I have done the tour 3-4 times, there is rarely a dry eye by the end of 45 minute tour.

PS I return to Hawaii frequently too, you will enrich your experience by exploring the history, culture, cultures. That is one way I make my repeat visits more memorable, new and different.

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We are in Hawaii right now. went to Pearl Harbor at 8 am this morning and it was sold out for the day. Will have to do the palace before we go...would love to hear more people talk about it.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:29 PM

Agree with others comments.

The presentaton by the guide is wonderful.

Also of interest to me were the stories of the people who had bought palace furniture, and other item, that were returning them, so the curator could restore the palace as near to original as possible.

Another site that many bypass is the Bishop Museum....lots to see and do.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Ditto on the above. The guides at Iolani Palace really give you a sense of the history. Go immediately to the Bishop Museum from there to get another point of view. The history, and the varying views of the history, of these islands and their royalty is fascinating.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:54 PM

crys what are you talking about? There is no confusion about the series of events that culminated with the end of the monarchy. Not sure what you are referring to here? Are you just talking about more information on different subjects or are you thinking that the Palace offers an opinion instead of history?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:51 PM

Sara- Was there a post deleted between crys's last and yours?

If not, it seems like youre assuming a disagreement where none exists.

She agreed with everyone and said both the palace and museum are great places and give good views of history. Nothing about either being being wrong or biased. Or did I miss something??
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:54 AM

go travel I was referring to " go immediately to the Bishop Museum from there to get a different point of view"

"The different point of view" is what jumped out at me. Sounded like Iolani was presenting a view its not a view its history.