Reload this Page >

OFF SEASON RECOMMENDATIONS FOR NANTUCKET/MARTHA'S VINEYARD

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 11:12 AM
ANNE

Any ideas for an October vistit to either Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard? Will be travelling with an 8 month old child and are hoping for a place with a pool and near the beach as well.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:06 PM
kris

In Nantucket-The Beachside is nice for families; clean rooms with Nantucket decor, near the beach and a pool. BUT, you will not be swimming in either the pool or the ocean in October on either island. Fall is beautiful on both islands but you will be wearing sweaters, long pants and jackets. Maybe, just maybe a warm indian summer day but trust me, you will not have to worry about a pool. The Nantucket Inn has an indoor heated pool but it is out by the airport and although there is a free shuttle to town, it does not have the nice feel of being in town. It is rather generic. Stay in town, forget the pool and enjoy. Check out nantucket accomodations online for more info.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Sue

we just got back from Nantucket and it is wonderful there. We also took our 10 month old. I did a load of research as far as where to stay and what to do. What is your budget? We stayed at the White Elephant which was fantastic. They provided a pack and play all set up in the room for us. Let me know what you are looking for and I can give you soem additional info. The website nantucket.net is great

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Ellen

Nantucket in October is wonderful! We try to get up there every year, both just before the season and just after (May/early June & late Sept/Oct). We have even been there in late November which was pretty cold, but nantucket nevertheless. We go whenever we have something to celebrate (anniversary, new job...), to heal (anniversary of a parent's death, Sept 11th), or when one of us starts whining "I miss Nantucket". the shoulder season is great because the crowds are gone, the weather is wonderful, prices are lower, and the islanders are less frantic so it is a much more enjoyable xperience. If you go prior to Sept 30th you can take advantage of the NRA bus shuttle which is a great, inexpensive way to get around the island. ALso, if you rent motor bikes, or even regular bikes, it's a lot safer and more enjoyable.

We're headed back up next next, our first really "height-of-the-season" trip. There is supposed to be a lull that week, so wish us luck!

As far as as swimming in October, probably not. If you are lucky enough to have an unusually warm day, your best bet would be perhaps wadding in the Nantucket Sound. The water can stay fairly warm into early October.

If you have any questions regarding what to do,where to eat, or where to stay, let us me know what your budget is. Early on we used toboook the first night only, and then move around from inn to inn every night or two just to check out as many places to stay as possible so we are fairly familiar wich many places.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 06:03 AM
xx

Nantucket has enough tourists in the summer please don't ruin our fall too.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Jim

I hear that there is a new campground on Cliff Road in Nantucket. Check it out. If it's raining, instead of a cookout, you can always hit the new Burger King on Main Street.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:17 AM
Islander

Don't forget the Red Lobster that just opened up on Straight Wharf in town, not aplace to be missed.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:11 AM
joan

Any recommendations for hotel/b&b for a a romantic weekend getaway from NYC (open to price - -it's my husband's birthday).

What would be the best way to get there? Fly to Boston and take the bus?

thanks

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 09:33 AM
xx

The best way to get here to to stop and the cape and stay in Chatam or Turo, there really is no need for anyone to cross the gape between island and mainland we have all the people we need thank you very much.