Oceanfront Condo-San Diego Area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are planning a week long vacation to the San Diego area & are looking for a oceanfront condo, which has proven to be slightly more difficult than anticipated. We think we want to be somewhere in the La Jolla, Pacific Beach or Mission Beach area (but will welcome any other suggestions) & our main requirement is a balcony for meals/drinks w/ an ocean/beach view & a kitchen w/ at least a small stove/oven for meals.

We have looked on VRBO.com & have a few leads but not many. Our budget is around $1300-$1400 for a full week (Sept. 22-29).

Do you think this is unrealistic? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on places to look for condos to suit our needs?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
TAW

did you try googling
"san diego ocean front condo vacation rentals"
you get a lot of choices...good luck!
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:08 PM

We always rent from Dave Stubbs Realty at www.vacationbeachhomes.com. The price we pay for off season is closer to $2000.00 than what you are looking for, but you could get an oceanfront complex with a view for that. And oceanfront condo will cost more.
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM

My suggestion would be to try Carlsbad in North San Diego County. I can't think of a better small beach town in California. There are some nice places to stay on the beach where you can walk a block right into the village to eat or to go to a club or shop. Great atmosphere.
Here is a place we stayed in a couple of years ago: We rented it through http://www.barbaramclain.com/ and the address of the unit was 3009 Ocean Street. The rates are in the price range you mentioned. The place itself is nothing fancy to be sure, in fact it's a little shabby, but clean and comfortable. However, it opens up right onto the sand and affords you a panorama view of the ocean from the living room and balcony which for me is priceless. At night the sea breeze blows right through the unit and you can hear the waves crashing.
Carlsbad has plenty to do, but you can also ride a train down to San Diego (the station is a couple of blocks from the rental I mentioned) or hop right on the 405.
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 06:34 AM

Carlsbad is a great little oceanside town as Andre mentioned. However, if you are planning to do a lot of tourist stuff (like the Zoo, Balboa Park, the Embarcadero, Cabrillo Monument, La Jolla, Coronado...) Carlsbad is pretty far north. It will be a long drive up and back each day.

If however, you are planning to stay put and enjoy the beach (which will be nice in Sept) then it is a good option.
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 08:31 AM

Your budget is too low for La Jolla so I would focus on the Pacific Beach and Mission Beach area. One complex that may work for you is Capri by the Sea. It is one of the few high rise condos on the beach in San Diego. Here is the link to the building. http://www.capribythesea.com/

One thing that does happen is some places rent to college students during the 9 months of school and then the place goes to the vacation rental market for summer so your off-season dates may not work.
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 08:46 AM

I can second Barbara McClain as a rental source in Carlsbad. We have used them for our house for the past 30+ years. [note: our house/apts are rented, so this is not an ad for us!]

Sept is a good time - the water is still warm, the weather is usually excellent and the kids are in school