Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ocean View at Kapalua Bay or Gardenview Four Seasons?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have the option to go with Kapalua Bay Hotel for $450/per-night with 5th free and stay in a Deluxe Oceanview Room or stay at the Four Seasons in a Gardenview room for $456/per-night with 5th night free.

We are doing the Triology/Lanai sunset trip which leaves out of Lahania one day at 10 am and the Maui Kayaks trip that leaves out of La Perouse one morning at 6:30 am. Plus a trip (by car not bike) to the crater for either sunrise or sunset with maybe a crater hike. Other days we will get up late and just figure it out that day. We will not go swimming in a hotel pool (although would like to sit and have a tropical drink and just chill) - just our ideal of a honeymoon vacation - as we live in Florida and have a pool. Maybe snorkel from the beach if the weathers nice, but with doing the Trilogy and Kayak trip - it's not important. We will not do dinner shows (seen enough of that a disney in orlando) or shop in big shopping areas as this we can do at home - maybe a fresh market but will shop in Oahu one day at the end of our trip. We prefer less family scene and relaxing environment with excellent service. This will be our honeymoon.

So with that said - which would you pick just between these two hotels and room types.

Thanks!
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 11:19 AM

Visited, but didn't stay at FS. I would never pay to stay there - very crowded, overdeveloped feel. Also, guests all seemed to be preoccupied with looking cool, talking on cells and not smiling. Very L.A.

Kapalua was great. Awesome Hawaiian feel - similar to Mauna Lani on BI. Old fashioned pool, fewer kids, great beach.

With your activities, plan on doing a bunch of driving either way.

Aloha.

Coachboy
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Driving - you're right - I don't really know how to avoid it and still see Maui. If you stay in Wailea you have to drive to Lahania and if you stay near Lahania you have to drive to Wailea at some point. We are not going to Hana. I think it will be a disappointment with the crowds after staying 7 days in North Kauai.

After Maui we are spending 4 nights on Molokai doing nothing but walking the beach and relaxing (except a mule ride)
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 03:42 PM
bquarre

Stayed at Kaplua a few years back and loved it. KBH has acces to great beaches and great snorkeling if you are into that. I do like the Kapalua/Napili area the best of all the major resort areas on the island. Have not been to the FS, so can't comment. The postings I read here range all over the place. It sounds a little gross. Pretty and lux, but gross.

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 08:13 PM

If great service and having all the "littel things" done just right is important, then Kapalua can't hold a candle to the FS.
Certain types of people tend to complain about the FS: those who feel intimidated by nice hotels, those who have to skimp and bend their budgets to stay there, those who think the price should guarantee orgasmic pleasure as soon as they walk in the lobby, those who don't really care about or notice service elements, etc.
The FS is not for everyone because the things FS excels at don't appeal to everyone.
Some people love Ramadas and cheap condos 2 miles inland.
KBH is more secluded, quieter, feels more spread out, and the area is more green. But the rooms and service are a full notch below that which is offered at the FS.
If view is important to you, be aware that some of the GV rooms at the FS are over the parking lot and tennis courts.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 02:25 PM

Aloha!
The Kapalua Bay has a great setting perched up on a cliff on the ocean with great views. The pool bar serves the best Mai Tai's on the West side of the island. There is entertainment from the Garden restaurant (from time to time). Yet the Bay Club restaurant is ideal! Very peaceful place.
If you are traveling during whale season I would highly recommend Kapalua Bay.
The Four Seasons is a great place. Yet I have only reserved an ocean view room. There is plenty to do and the lobby entertainment is great. Spagos and Ferraros are excellent restaurants. I have met many celebrities when I stay at the 4S.

If you are kayaking, I love your choice of companies, Maui Kayaks was great!
Did you make your reservation in advance, for my friend tried to reserve for the last week in November and they are booked.

Trilogy to Lanai is good. You can even take the complimentary shuttle from Manele Bay to Koele if you wanted to see those resorts. The hiking on the island to Sweetheart point is beautiful. We snorkeled through some caves which was a little dangerous, but beautiful.

I hope this helps!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 07:22 AM

As mentioned before on this website, www.luxurylink.com has a auction for 6nts dlx ocean view w breakfast that usually sells for between 1400-1600 for the 6nts (don't overbid as many too anxious do, it's been there every week for the past few years). You may want to look into that. Also a virtuoso travel agent may be able to get you an upgrade at the 4S. I found the KB to be more relaxing.