Search

kapalua or wailea?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kapalua or wailea?

We're spending 6 days on Maui toward the end of July. We currently have both the Kapalua Bay Hotel and the Wailea Rennaissance booked for the entire week using our Marriott points. It is now time to make the decision as to which hotel we want to choose. Yes, we could split 3 days in each as a possibility. (We have stayed in Kaanapali on a previous trip and wanted to try something new). Any pros or cons for either hotel or area??
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:52 AM

The ambiance at Kapalua Bay is incomparable for being "connected" to the sea. The coastline is scalloped, so the views from lobby, hallways, and many rooms are close, and of coves, ocean, and the islands of Lanai and Molokai. In summer, it is more comfortable at the Kapalua resort area.
Rooms at Kapalua are wide to the view, so that, if you pick the right rooms, you can pick up your head from the bed and get the views. The beach is protected by an offshore reef so the water is almost always calm enough for good snokleling. If you are interested, I can e-mail you photos.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 07:39 AM

We stayed at the Four Season Wailea for our honeymoon and LOVED the Wailea area. We rented a car and had no problem driving around the island. We actually enjoyed hoping in the convertible and driving for an hour or so. Wailea is secluded and quiet. It is the only place I have stayed in Maui, but we loved it enough that we will stay in Wailea on future visits. I can't speak for the actual hotels you are considering. I did go to lunch at the Marriott in Wailea. It was nice but I think I remember the pool being small...you may want to check on that if it is important to you. The Rennaissance Wailea has great beach side villa-type rooms. Maui is great. You can't go wrong with either.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 11:46 AM

On my first trip to Hawaii with my husband we stayed at both of those properties. First, we stayed in the Mokapu building at the Rennaissance and LOVED it! It was so close to the water...we left our doors open at night and really enjoyed waking to the sound of the birds chirping and waves crashing. It was heavenly!

When we went to Kapalua Bay next, we had reserved an Ocean Front room and didn't get one...they had overbooked and so we were set further back from the ocean and heard lots of air conditioning units instead. Our room looked tired at the time and one of the chairs on the lanai was broken.

I prefer the Wailea area. On our next trip with our kids we stayed at the Four Seasons in Wailea because of their great kids program but if it was just my husband and me again, I wouldn't hesitate to choose the Mokapu Building at the Rennaissance.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 07:26 PM

Four years ago we had the same decision to make. We also wanted to try something different from Kaanapali. We ended up doing 3 nights at Kapalua Bay Hotel and 3 nights at the Rennaissance. Although the Kapalua area was beautiful and the beach very nice, we thought our room was a bit rundown. The weather was also much cooler, cloudier, and windier than Kaanapali. Every time we drove down to Kaanapali we found the weather to be much better even though it is only a few miles south. Dining options in Kapalua are pretty limited too. The Rennaisance was a very nice property and there are quite a few decent restaurants in the area. Personally I would either split the time or stay the entire time in Wailea. This year we went back to Kaanapali - it is hard to beat.
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:45 AM

I just returned from Maui and visited both areas. I love Wailea and stayed at the Renaissance Wailea using points as well. I have a 4-part trip report on here as well as a review on Trip-Advisor about the Renaissance.

I did a lot of research before making my final decision and was more than pleased with my stay.
Old May 1st, 2005, 12:37 PM

My husband and I spent 11 days in Maui last October. We spent 3 days in Wailea at the Marriott (on points) and absolutely loved the Wailea area! It is quiet and elegant and is full of great restaurants. We didn't wander from that area much. Then we spent a week in the Marriott Ocean Club and loved Kaanapali also. You can't beat it for walks to lots of restaurants. We spent a day in Kapalua--ate at the restaurant at the golf course and drove around. It's also beautiful, but more remote. But, if you have a car, you could get down to Kaanapali and Lahaina very easily. I say go for a little time in each area. You won't regret it! Have a great time.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:31 AM

Got back April 9, after 8 nights in Kapalua Villas, and then 7 in Kauai. On previous trips we had stayed at Kaanapali (KBR), and Wailea/Makena twice (Renaissance and Maui Prince). Kapalua is a very nice place (we golf), but be aware that it can be very wet and windy, even for extended periods. We had 8 consecutive days of trade winds and constant showers on and off. As a result, we generally, we "left town" for a part of almost every day, and by Kaanapali there might have been a bit of drizzle, and Lahaina was pretty well dry. And Wailea and Makena were bone dry, almost the whole 8 days. Yes, we did have a run of bad luck regarding the Kapalua weather (we have been there before when it was gorgeous), but given our limited days in "paradise", from now on we will stay in the drier areas, and then visit the wetter ones, on "day trips". Mind you, 8 consecutive days like that might never happen again, but we don't want to take that chance..... on Maui, that means Wailea and Makena, to us. Good luck with your decision. P.S. No complaints with Renaissance previously, or the Kapalua Bay Hotel, as we did eat several meals at KBH and enjoyed some of their facilities.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:19 PM

The "persistent rains" in the Kapalua area are a "winter only" thing from time to time. May thru October is delightful.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 09:07 PM

The Rennaissance is about to be transfered to W Hotels with time shares and monster remodeling...ditto Kapalua.
Check with both hotels to find the status of construction, etc, before making your decision. Avooid a monster mess!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:05 AM

We just returned from 4 days at the Kapalua Bay hotel and loved it. Such a georgous area. Would stay there again.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:45 AM

We stayed at the Renaissance for 11 days when we got married 7 years ago on Maui. We returned for our 4th annivesary and stayed at a B&B in Lahaina. We loved the Renaissance -- open, airy, tropical, just what we had hoped for. We found the Wailea area to be nice, quite, beautiful and were very glad we chose it for our wedding/honeymoon but we chose Lahaina the second time around because it was a much shorter trip & we wanted to be closer to the action. I don't think you can go wrong with the Renaissance unless it has changed horribly in the last couple of years. We drove out there for lava flows and appetizers one afternoon just to reminisce (sp?). Enjoy!