OBX Help

Old May 16th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBX Help

My wife and I with 2 small children are considering our first trip to OBX.We are looking at the week after Labor Day.We are interested in something close to the beach.Interests are swimming ,fishing and relaxation.

Can anyone comment on the pros/cons of the various towns?
Thanks
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:32 AM

We always prefer Duck. It is sort of centrally located, yet relatively quiet and peaceful. I don't like Corrola, I think it's ugly 9too overdone). Southern Shores has good parts and sketchy parts. Kill Devil Hills south through Nagshead is all a bit of a mob scene. South of Nagshead things mellow out again, but accomodations are, shall we say, uneven. If you have a specific town in mind, post it. It should be quiet down there after labor day. Be sure to buy good huricane insurance.
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:49 AM

I guess it is a matter of taste. I personally LOVED Corolla. Went last year and stayed in Corolla light on the soundside. Had a FABULOUS house overlooking the sound. The sunsets at night were just stunning. We walked across the street to the ocean side or had the opportunity to take the trolley. It was a 5 minute ride. Would highly recommend this area. Not as commercial as the rest of the outerbanks.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:30 AM
RLW

I also say that Duck is a great place. It is a lovely small town - lots of nice shopping and restaurants within walking distance. (We always stay in the Saltaire subdivision - any farther north it is less "walkable.") Very pleasant and relaxing and kid-friendly. Nags Head and Kitty Hawk are much busier and better for older kids or teeneagers, perhaps. There is a Kitty Hawk Kites store in Duck - a great place to kill some time and get goodies for the kids. Don't miss the sunset on the beach and the sunset on the sound!!

Corolla is also pretty, in my opinion, with beautiful beaches and good restaurants. Things are bit more spread out, however.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 06:28 PM

If you'd like to go fishing, look into the Doghouse www.doghousesportfishing Capt. Britt has a great boat and two young kids of his own so he's attune to the family life. We and lots of our friends fish with him often and you can't go wrong there. Enjoy the OBX
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:31 PM

I always travel south of Duck, Corolla, Nags Head, etc. and stay on Hatteras Island.
It is less expensive, and not as many tourists.
We have stayed ocean front, and sound front, and I enjoy sound front better. If you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, you are able to drive onto the beach on Hatteras Island.
From our rental home on the sound, we were able to crab, fish, and kayak.
Avon and Buxton are great towns to stay in.

Debbie
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:08 AM

We like Southern Shores. It is near enough to the "action" in Nags Head and Kill Devil Hills and still more subdued than either of those. It is also a quick drive into Duck.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:44 AM

I've stayed in the 'south' Nags Head area (around mm 18) and found it to be very quiet, but close stuff.

I haven't stayed in the Duke/Corrola/Southern Shores area so I can't really comment on it. But I do know there is a Wal-Mart at the turn off for these towns.

With small children, I wouldn't want to be too far away, because of all the kid stuff. Let them run around Jockey's Ridge, visit the Wright Brother memorial, take them to the aquarium. play mini-golf.

The Kite stores have a great selection, but if you're looking for a very simple kite, you might want to buy one at home and bring along. I have found prices at the kite stores to be higher than 'inland' stores. The kite I bought (on sale at Bed, Bath, and Beyond of all places) had a regular price 3/4 of the OBX kite store. However, these stores do have some great advanced kites and I don't know how the prices compare.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:53 AM

The OBX is amazing whereever you go. My family loves Ocracoke, it is very villagy and you can ride bikes to all the village shops and eateries. Another place is Hatteras Island, we like to camp, so Frisco is the place for that. Swimming on the sound side and visting the lighthouse on the ocean side. Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills is cool for visiting Jockey's Ridge (already talked about above) and the Wright Brother's museum and park. Bodie Lighthouse is nice, but you can't climb inside.

Be sure to take a ferry or two!!!! That is a riot and bring stale bread for the seaguls!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 09:04 AM

Can someone please tell me what is "sketchy" about certain parts of Southern Shores? I've rented a house there in August and am concerned it may be in a "sketchy" area....
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:14 AM

I think you'll be fine! My impression of Southern Shores dates back a ways and now a lot of the older, crummy houses have been torn down and replaced by "McMansions." As long as the photo of the house you've rented looks good, it should be fine. That area used to have these fairly run down looking stucco ranches. It is a good location though - close to some action, but still secluded feeling. Who did you rent through?
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What wliwl refers to as "these fairly run down looking stucco ranches" are considered vintage homes by others with a little knowledge of the OBX.
Called flat tops, they were designed by Southern Shore's developer, Frank Stick, in the late 40s. Stick was an artist & conservationist who created a community Interwoven among dunes, ponds, canals, maritime forests, and sound & ocean beaches. There's a chapter devoted to the architecture and the original families who comprised SS in Marimar McNaughton's book Outer Banks Architecture.

There are probably fewer than 15 of the flat tops left. There are two I can think of on Ocean Blvd (the main drag) needing some serious work. From what I understand they're owned by families who're waiting for the gazillion $ offer for the land they're sitting on.

That's way more than you wanted to know but I think that wliwl mischaracterized SS. It remains one of the most environmentally conscious and family friendly towns on the OBX.

I'm sure you'll have a great time in a very modern and comfortable home. It won't be the least bit "sketchy."

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 07:01 PM
hdm

We always stay in South Nag's Head in an oceanfront house which we rent from Joe Lamb Jr. Real Estate. Other real estate companies are Sun Realty and Outerbanks Realty. We're far enough from the crowds but close enough to 'stuff' to keep us all happy. Drive over to Manteo one day and go the the charming Manteo Bookstore and cute coffee shop across the street. For a fancy dinner, try Penguin Isle. If the kids are old enough there's lots of mini-putt. Have breakfast or lunch at Sam & Omie's and another on the Nag's Head Pier and then take the kids out onto the pier to watch the fishermen. Definitely walk to the top of Jockeys Ridge and also go to the kite store there -- even if you don't buy anything, it's a fun place. Also, I think there's a rock climbing wall there. Take a night skies book with you and lay out on your deck at night and look at the stars. Have a great time!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:01 AM

Thanks for the reassurance OBXgirl. Wliwl, we rented thru Southern Shores Realty. The house looks great from the pix and is on the beach so we're very excited. We also have a small child and look forward to all of the great things for kids mentioned on this thread. In addition to the beach, are there some decent playgrounds in Southern Shores?
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Oops! It appears I've stepped on some toes! While we've been vacationing nearly every year (we missed this year for instance) in the Outer Banks since 1974 I really have little idea what's going on there. Just ignore me.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
michaelcrane, Within Southern Shores, there's a playground at Sea Oats Park. I think it's on Hillcrest but ask when you pick up your keys at the rental office.

There's another playground at the Soundside Wading Beach but I'm pretty sure this is open only to home owners (and thus guests) who're members of the SS Civic Assoc. Again, ask about this place when you check in as it's also a great spot for the little ones to get some shallow & calm water time.

Beyond SS, Dare County operates a public recreation park in Kill Devil Hills and I know there's a p/g there.

The Promenade (look for it on your right immediately after you cross the Wright Memorial Bridge) used to have a very large outdoor play park for kids. I haven't been in a few years but if it's still there you'll see it from the road. There are usually coupons for discount admissions in the local Visitor's Guide magazines.

wliwl, no need to ignore you. Just differing opinions.