Search

Jersey shore options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 04:05 PM
JCV
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jersey shore options

Looking for suggestions for a weekend in Sept. There will be 2 adults and 2 kids (7 and 4 yrs old). I will be there first time at the Jersey shore and want to experience the arcades, boardwalk, sand and beach. Can any one suggest a nice place to stay on or near the beach? Probably just go down for one night.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 05:21 PM
vcl

You don't say where you're coming from. If you want the whole Boardwalk experience for your family, I'd suggest Point Pleasant, Seaside Heights or Wildwood. These epitomize the tacky Jersey Shore experience, but kids seem to love it. (Just got back from Wildwood with my grandchildren on Friday.)
If you want something more subdued, but still want to give the kids a taste of the boardwalk culture, look for towns adjacent to those I've mentioned. Wildwood Crest, in particular, has a plethora of beachfront motels that provide good family acommodations. Before making final plans, check to make sure the things you want to enjoy will still be open. Some of the shore closes immediately after Labor Day Weekend.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 05:52 PM

Ocean City would be another place to look into as well.

http://www.oceancity-nj.com/
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:00 AM

First off Slightly offended by the "tacky" comment. I live in the next town over from Point PLeasant and I think your kids would love. I have always found it to be so much fun and still do. You can stay in a local hotel there. The white sands has a good reputation. And spend lots of time on the board walk playing games, eating THE best food (pizza, waffle cones esp.)They also have rides, mini golf, the great beach. I am not a fan of Seaside or Wildwood,I dont think it is as nice as Point and its surrounding areas.

If you cross the bridge from Point into Brielle there are some great outdoor restaurants right on the water.

It might be difficult to do a one night stay in Sept though, We are still into our peak tourist season. Many people have discovered how great it is down here when all the summer renters go home and the weather is at its best.

If you cant find a hotel in Point you can try www.expedia.com and punch in Spring lake, nj hotels. That will let you do one night. I think the Comfort Inn usually shows up. I do prefer the Sea Girt Moter Lodge though.Its a family owned hotel that has been in business for years. You have the great beaches about a mile away and the Point Pleasnt board walk is about 4 miles away.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 04:39 PM
JCV
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. We are leaving from the Bridgewater area. I will look into the suggestions - we are looking to give the kids the whole experience so Pt Pleasant seems to fit this.
thanks again
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:41 PM
gb

My kids have always enjoyed Ocean City.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:00 PM

Another vote for Point Pleasant. It has a great boardwalk with "kid-size" rides, cotton candy, etc. the whole Jersey shore experience. If my memory serves, Wildwood has larger rides like rollers coasters, etc which might be better for older kids. Point Pleasant also has an aquarium on the boardwalk at Jenkinson's Pavilion which is good for a rainy day and which the kids would enjoy. The beach at Jeninkson's is huge, and there are places for lunch and restrooms, etc. Their website is http://www.jenkinsons.com.

No matter where you end up going, you should probably check to make sure all the rides, etc are open in September. Labor Day weekend is really considered the "end" of summer at the shore, so some places will close; but I think most will be open through the end of September.

A good website for Point Pleasant is http://www.njbeach.com