Search

OBX 4-wheelers

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBX 4-wheelers

Will be in Kill Devil Hills last of May. Would like to do some 4-wheeling/dune buggy fun. Anyone have experiences, good or bad with specific company? Also appreciate input on your favorite places to eat. Not the fanciest or most expensive - just GOOD food. You know, where would you take the world's greatest sister to eat?! We are 4 laid back folks very much looking foreward to seeing OBX for 1st time. bcool in CO
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are a number of companies in Corolla which do 4WD eco tours of the northern beaches. Sorry, can't really recommend one over another but they all seem to be operated by locals who have a good knowledge of and respect for the barrier islands. If you've got your own 4WD, opportunities abound in Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

The best meals I've had on the OBX are the ones we've cooked at or hauled home. Flounder, trout, crabs, shrimp or lobster. Plenty of beer and wine. Give it a go if you all are renting a house for your visit.

Otherwise, these are OBX institutions, good (not always great) food but authentic beach atmosphere:

Awful Arthur's Oyster Bar - v. casual seafood and beer.

Sam and Omies - oldest restaurant on the OBX. Used to be locals only and a biker bar. It's a bit more yuppified now (they yanked the pool tables I think).

Capt'n Franks - best dogs and fries on the beach. Great steamed shrimp at dinner in the summer.

Owen's Restaurant - family run place, traditional seafood dishes, huge portions.

Basnights Lone Cedar - ditto above.

We also like the following for great food and moderate prices:

Mama Kwans
Flying Fish Cafe
Blue Point Grille
Colington Cafe
Beach Bread Company

Everyone has their favorites. Do a search here!

Have a great trip to the Outer Banks. We'll be there at the end of May too. Nice time to visit before the season gets rolling.
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

obs girl, appreciate your response. Am printing and keeping your suggestions. Maybe we'll see you at one of them! Now here's a question from landlocked me: is there a rocky coastline on the OBX or is it all sand? Ilove to feel, hear, smell the waves CRASHING on rocky cliffs. Could be there for hours. If not, I am also content to sit with the gentle surf for hours. And do you know of a surfing area? To watch?! Coming from Colorado with my favorite people and yea!! countdown is 9 days!! bcool
Old May 14th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bcool, Where are you staying on the OBX?
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

We are at a rental in Kill Devil Hills. Looks like we are pretty central so can go either (since there are only two choices!) direction when we get up! That is, if we get off the porch!
What are your favorite activities in/on OBX? bcool