Search

Oakland

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Tourist

Oakland

We want to fly to Oakland Airport and then take the BART train. You must take a 10 minute shuttle bus in between. Our son says this is not safe, even at midday. Has anyone done this? What was your experience? Thanks.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Jen

It's not Bosnia -- people do it every day, and it's very convenient.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 12:09 PM
andy

Parts of Oakland, like parts of Kansas City and Portland and Charleston, are not safe. But your son is lumping the whole of Oakland into one pigeon hole. Parts of Oakland are expensive, white collar, highly desirable places to live. Use the public transit system (like tens of thousands of locals).

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 10:02 AM
nina

It is fine. I have done it many times without any problems.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 03:54 PM
xxx

Pop quiz: Who said about Oakland, "There is no 'there' there."

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Janis

Gert Stein.

People have made the same reference toward Al Gore's personality.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 08:49 PM
L

I took buses and bart all over oakland when I lived there. And bart towards Pittsburg, the pitts, with no incodents.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Joey

I've flown into Oakland and taken the BART. It is SCARY. I was a college football player and I grew up with gangs in LA, so I'm no scardycat. BUT, I was there for a business meeting, and to say the least, in my nicer clothes I stood out greatly and got a lot of suspicious looks. I haven't done that again. It's just not worth it. Too seedy for me, I fly into SF.
BUt, if you do go, just make sure not to let anyone think you are intimidated. Make eye contact. It shows you are confident and not afraid.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Baybee

IMO, Joey is either paranoid or exaggerating. I've done the Oakland airport BART connection many times, and I've been riding BART to, from, and through Oakland for almost 20 years with no problems. Not only am I not a brave football player, I'm not even a man. And, believe me, there are many people on BART in business suits.

And "there is no there there" refers the disappearance of what G. Stein remembered from here childhood, not to Oakland in general.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Michele

You will be fine. There are all types of people who do this - business travelers, locals, tourists, you name it. I did this just last March and felt perfectly safe. Of course, I too, was not the former football player type. I was a lone woman traveling on business. Maybe that's the clue - if you are a hunky ex-football player, stay out. (tongue firmly in cheek on that comment)

Do be prepared for panhandlers once you reach the BART platform where you purchase fares. Not many, but they do target tourists. (And don't fall for the "You got 50 cents - the machine ate my last change" bit. Just ignore and go about your business.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Gene

You'll be fine. Get on the bus and get on the BART. I use this type of transportation evreytime I go to SF.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 11:03 PM
lived in the bay area for 20 yrs

If you are going anywhere in Berkeley, Oakland, or downtown San Francisco, why would you even consider flying to SFO? More late flights, longer lines, greater travel time to your destination, etc. The shuttle from OAK to BART is quick and simple and safe, and the BART station is safe and monitored by police and video cameras. Crime does exist in Oakland, but many other U.S. cities can only dream of having Oakland's cultural attributes, pretty, leafy neighborhoods, relatively harmonious diverse population, great dining, gorgeous parks, user-friendly public transit, and so on. If approached by panhandlers, just respond the way you would respond to them in any other city. (Oh, no panhandlers where you live? Come on, now!)

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Jacque

I'm a 5'2", 115 pound female and THE BART IS NOT SCARY. Yeah there are weird looking people on it, but that's part of San Francisco's/Berkely's charm! If your really worried, try to travel during commute times when there will be less weird looking students on the trains.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:36 AM
LocalYocal

geeez.....my 52 yo sister flies into Oakland every month (always after 9pm), and hops on bart to the east bay. Perfectly safe and without any scary incidents EVER.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 11:27 AM
katie

Puhlleez.....you should be fine. I work in corporate banking, two of my clients flew down from Seattle last week to meet me in SF and were very happy with the BART from Oakland. Joey must be a lot smaller than he stated to be so worried about a shuttle ride.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 03:53 PM
oaklander

The last thing Oaklanders need is a lesson in dressing-and the BART lines originate in swanky, expensive suburbs like Fremont and Pleasanton, and once they arrive in Oakland, they are full of well dressed people-believe me. Maybe it was their color that got to you? And since we're on stereotypes, blacks( WHO AT 37% ARE OAKLANDS LARGEST ETHNIC GROUP) are purported as being snappy dressers anyway so chances are-you did stand out like a sore thumb, maybe it was the plaid bell bottoms?

In any case, here in Oakland, you wouldnt have been harrassed for being different-because here, your just another free spirit.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Lindy

I'm a short white female who works in Oakland, lives in East Bay. I take BART and public transit often -- Oakland Colisium, Jack London Square, etc. And I fly OAK whenever possible. It is SO much more convenient than SFO. Just use the street smarts you would use in any large city. There are million dollar homes in the hills and $500,000 lofts at Jack London Square. I think your son is stereotyping the city. And if you're staying in Oakland, check out the Oakland Museum, Chabot Space Center and FD Roosevelt's Presidential Yacht!

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more question. Has anyone ever taken the BART from SF to Oakland after midnite and done so safely? We have to do this as our flight is arriving at SF at 11:30 pm and we have to leave from OAK at 7am the next morning. Thanks for your input.