Oahu's January 2006 Event Calendar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to the Island of Oahu in January, there are a few major festivals and events in town, so schedule well!
1/12-1/15 Sony Open (Golf) at Waialae Country Club. The best golfers in the World. 80 degrees in January. And perhaps an appearance by golf teen phenom (and Hawaii native) Michelle Wie. Tickets are $15 a day.
1/20-1/22 Hawaii Bridal Expo. If you (or you know someone) who is looking at Hawaii for a wedding or honeymoon should go to Hawaii's largest wedding event at the Neil Blaisdell Exhibition Hall. You will find all your answers here from local professionals. Admission is $7 a day.
1/21 Hula Bowl - the best college football players gather for this all-star game. The game will be played in Aloha Stadium at 2:00pm. Tickets available through ticketmaster.com.
1/29 Ala Wai Challenge - this is a very great event for those of you seeking more Hawaiian culture. From 8:00am - 12:30pm, you can watch outrigger canoe racing and explore ancient Hawaiian "Makahiki"games. All of this is walking distance from any Waikiki hotel. Free admission.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:28 AM

at, are you with the OVB or something? If so, let's talk.

Don't forget that Chinese New Year is on Jan 29, so there will be tons of things happening in Chinatown during that week leading up to it, and the week after. In fact, Aloha Tower Marketplace is having a lion dance celebration on Feb 4 at about 11 a.m. (check alohatower.com for exact time and activities).

According to Mayor Hanneman, there will be a month-long Chinese New Year celebration throughout the island....so stay tuned.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:53 AM

Anyone know which weekend the Chinese New Year Maunakea Street festival is on?

The street festival is usually one one weekend, with the Cultural Plaza festival the week before or after.

I always get them mixed up and miss the Maunakea Street celebrations.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:19 AM

This is very helpful information! We will be on Oahu during the 2nd week of February. We know the Probowl will be played on the 12th. Other than that, can you provide information for February, as you did for January?
Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:58 AM

On February 10, you know that there is a big block party for the Pro Bowl at Aloha Tower Marketplace, right? It's been a tradition for the last 10-12 years. There will be tons of free activities & entertainment, PLUS you can get autographs and pictures with some of the players. Exclusive NFL items will be sold there as well.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:51 AM

MelissaHI, thanks for the tip.
The Pro Bowl block party sounds great, even though my beloved Eagles fell apart this year and,apart from Jeremiah Trotter, they didn't produce much Pro Bowl quality work.
Oddly, my wife doesn't seem as impressed as I am with the block party. I'm assuring her that the setting will be beautiful!

On Wednesday the 8th, we will go to the Arizona memorial and the Aloha stadium swap meet.
Thursday, we're doing a driving circuit of the island.
Monday the 13th we plan to do the Chinatown culinary tour with Pake Pork Chop.
We will work in lots of beach time and some hiking during the rest of our 8 days in Oahu.
Thanks again!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:44 PM

Just checking....you already contacted PPC about the culinary tour, right? I thought his regular tour was on Tuesdays but it could have expanded.....
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:50 PM

Hi Melissa.
Yes, I checked with PPK and he mentioned Monday, and referred me to the info on the Honolulu Chinatown web site
http://www.chinatownhi.com/gwt.asp

Thanks for being alert though, to the possible screw-up!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:05 PM

If you are interested in the Pro Bowl practices, each team will have one at Aloha Stadium. It is free and many players stay after to sign autographs. Usually Thursday for one team, Friday for the other.

Kapiolani Park will have cheerleader contests. Also lots of other NFL things there. Autographs, cards, music.

The last couple of years there was a Pro Bowl concert at Waikiki Shell.

The full list of events should be out soon.