Oahu where to stay question

Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Oahu where to stay question

We are thinking of a family trip to Oahu with two kids, 8 & 10. We can only go at the beginning of July this year. I've read all the posts I can find about Oahu and am still wondering where to stay.

Most of the posts I found discuss Waikiki. It seems that the benefits of Waikiki are good beaches and it's close to restaurants and activities. It also seems that to be on the beach you need to stay in the large hotels at $400-600 for an average hotel room.

We will want to "hang out" (swim, snorkel, shelling) for a few days and then see the Oahu sights for a few days (Pearl Harbor, Polynesian Cultural Center etc).

I'm wondering about the other areas of Oahu. Are there any hotels near good snorkeling areas? Are there any hotels in the $250-400 range on a nice beach for swimming? The 10 year old is an average swimmer. The 8 year old has partial paralysis on his left side and doesn't swim well so there can't be too strong of a current.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Cindy
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There ae only 7 hotels right ON Waikii Beach. However, there are others, at the zoo end of Waikiki, that are directly across the street , with nothing except Kalakaua Ave between your hotel and the beach. For starters, check Expedia.com, search hotels for Honolulu. Your first result will probably be Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel which has very resonable rates, including some "get one free night" for room with 2 double beds in July. Plus, the water in that area of Waikiki will be easy for both kids--there is a rock wall that keeps the waves from breaking dirctly on the beach, and tehre is no strong current. I haven't stayed at that hotel, but friends with kids your ages did recently and loved it. Their rate included breakfast on the beach.
I highly recommend an option like that instead of one of the hotels a few blocks away nr Kuhio Ave. They are sometimes cheaper, but you are missing what is essential (IMHO): a view of the beach and water, and proximity to the fun (especially for kids?--all the activity and shops)Kalakaua Ave. The street's sidewalks were re-done in the last few yrs and are lovely--with lush vegetaion and flowers lining the area, in addition to the beach.
For snorkeling: You can rent a car and drive up to the North Shore for snorkeling nr Waimea at Pupukea--or drive East not far from Honolulu to Hanauma Bay(check hours first). There are numerous other onderful activities on Oahu (read all about 'em on this forum, and/or in a good guide book) and you should have a blast!!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:34 PM

Aloha sundowner,

Cali is right on. We had a reservation w/ Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, but cancelled it after looking into the Aston Waikiki Beach Tower. The Tower is just one block over from the Beach Hotel both across the street from Kuhio Beach Park and the beach. This is a great spot to stay. Very near the Duke statue and the hula platform where authentic hula performances are done every Friday night.

We loved the AWB Tower for the space. They are condos with full kitchen... we had 2 adults, 2 teens. We booked the 1 BR oceanfront and the boys took the sleeper sofa. Tons of room and it was great for spreading out. The views are spectacular... if you stay here request a high floor. They also have boogie boards, beach mats and chairs etc. for taking down to the beach. The pool is nothing spectacular, but we enjoyed hanging out on the beach so much more. Maybe your 8 year old can float around on the boogie board for fun. The water right in front of the Tower is protected... just a beautiful spot. We loved people watching here.

The AW Beach Hotel is nice, but the rooms are small... even the jr. suite... I prefer the space, as well as a kitchen for fixing sandwiches to pack, preparing fresh fruit, cheeze plates, etc.

Use an Entertainment Book for the rock bottom rate... I think we paid less than $275 per night last year.

Happy planning... O'ahu is a wonderful island to explore. Don't miss a treck to the north shore... fun fun!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:50 PM

There is no hotel/condo in Waikiki more than 3 blocks from the beach. If you want a hotel/cond right on the beach, it will cost more as you said.

These are a couple of good sites so you can compare rates, locations, amenities, etc.
www.bookit.com for the city, type in Oahu and it will give results throughout the island including Waikiki.

www.hawaii-hotels.com this will allow you to look at various hotels and/or condos on the island.

You can go directly to a hotel/condo website. Most hotels have their own website.

A website like www.ohanahotels.com will list a number of hotels that are owned by the same company. www.outrigger.com lists a couple hotles in Waikiki. It is also the parent company for the Ohana Hotels If you stay at a Ohana hotel you can use the facilities of the Outrigger hotels.

I stayed at the Aston Waikiki Sunset. It is a condo with full kitchens and one or two bedrooms. Two blocks from the beach.

You can also rent a house in many parts of the island. Punaluu & Kailua have several. A couple of friends stayed at a house in Punaluu. It provided a couple of boogie boards and snorkeling equipment and had an almost private beach. Also there are many places for vacation rental on the North Shore. I don't know if you will be able to find any that are still available as we are already into May.
The North Shore is good for swimming and snorkeling in the summer.

Turtle Bay Resort is on the North Shore and has good snorkeling there.

On the west side (also called Leeward) the Marriott Ihilani Resort is nice.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM

Here's a link to look at photos and virtual tours of the condos. While they are not "on the beach" they are full beach views... spectacular views. The lanai's are huge. You can also pull up the AW Beach Hotel on the same site to see room photos... but if you want to get best pricing, call Aston directly, and get the Entertainment Card rate.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:16 PM

oops... forgot to paste the link

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll...=&itty=&from=f
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Your replies have helped me a great deal. Thanks!