Oahu: surfing

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu: surfing

Does anyone have any experience with eith or these 2 surf schools on Oahu: Hawaiian Fire or Hans Hedemann? Will be on Oahu and want to take a surfing lesson, but am not sure which company to choose. Thanks.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 01:16 PM

Hnas Hedemans is known to be good.

If you just want a one hour lesson, any of the beach boys on Waikiki beach give pretty good beginner lessons for about $35. Just ask at the spots by the Duke aKahanumoku statue.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 02:23 PM

I haven't tried either. But I believe the Hedemann school operates right on Waikiki beach, which may be more convenient if you're staying in Waikiki - but it also means the bearch will be its more crowded. Other than Waikiki, Hedemann has a school near the North Shore, at Turtle Bay (if you're staying in that area).

The Hawaiian Fire school transports you out to a beach (the name of which escapes me) that's about 20 minutes away, near former-military installation Barber's Point, so it's in a more isolated spot. The Hawaiiam Fire school uses fire fighters as teachers (I think in Hawaii fire fighters have to perform ocean rescues).
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Miramar- No need to research surf schools... a simple 1 hour lesson on the beach at Waikiki will teach you all there is to know... consider the rental hut just outside Dukes... its run by dukes' family and offers one on one lessons for only $30.... while you're learning, there's also a booth nearby that offers digital photos of your surfing prowess... I got some great shots of our kids with Diamond Head in the back.... when you're done, stop for lunch at Duke's... have fun!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 10:29 AM

I agree with lcuy and garyt22, just go to Waikiki beach near the Duke statue and rent a long board and get a lesson. The waves in Waikiki are best for learning because the waves are only like 2-3 feet and they break farther out, thus giving you plenty of time to stand up on the board and enjoy the ride. It is a tough paddle to get out there tho. Wear plenty sunscreen!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Oh, I should have said that I grew up on Oahu and that's what we locals always do. Grab a board from one of the guys near the Duke statue. That's where I first learned to surf also.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Easy! Hawaiian Fire all the way. The surf instructors are local firefighters!! VBS Need I say more??? What the hell am I sitting here for? Now if we could just get them to surf in those blue uniforms. Mmmmmmm!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 10:45 AM
JEC

My husband and I used the beach boys behind the Duke's statue started with the letter "P". Mike was our instructor and he was great! Only paid $21 per person with a coupon we got in one of the free books you will see all over the main drag. They were on the right side looking at the beach from the statue. If I am correct, thier umbrella was blue. My husband and I were able to stand up the first time we went out. You only need an hour lesson and the paddle out will be a workout but well worth the memory. They take pictures of you which you could purchase afterwards. A rash guard might be a good idea to wear since you will be going up and down on board. Good luck!