Oahu Restaurants for 50th wedding anniversary

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu Restaurants for 50th wedding anniversary

My parents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary in Oahu in June and our whole extended family will make the trip there. We are about 28 in all, some from the mainland, many from Asia.

We are familiar with Honolulu since we spend a month each summer there, but would like to ask the locals or those who frequent Hono more often, what they suggest for a "rehearsal dinner", the dinner itself and a brunch.

Although we are casual people, we like fine dining, and perhaps a mix of three different atmospheres. I was initially thinking the ceremony and dinner would be at the Kahala "Mandarin" (it's not anymore, right?), the night before dinner at 3660 or Roy's (good food but too noisy?), and no idea for the brunch.

An ideal location would be outdoors with a view and torches, but this seems so common as an everyday thing that I'm having a hard time thinking of one special not-so-touristy place. Any suggestions for the dining places and other things to do would be of great help.

Thanks so much!
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 11:55 AM

You probably know more about dining in Waikiki than I do.

The Kahala Mandarin Oriental is now known as the Kahala Hotel & Resort.

This site has an excellent restaurant review:

www.driveguidemagazines.com

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 08:31 PM

We had a wonderful Anniversary dinner at Orchids at the Halekulani Hotel. The food and service was fabulous. The setting was romantic, with view of Diamond Head and the ocean.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 09:59 PM

Orchids would be nice, especially if they set you up all together along the front to watch the sunset.

I think both Roys and 366o are way too noisy for a group that size.

Another nice place is the private room at Indigo. It is set up like an opium den..even has big platform beds that you can lay on if you want. I've had parties of about 25 I think in there, seated at two long tables. We actually served ourselves from buffet tables in the main room, but I think you can order as well.

Kahala would be really nice for the official anniversary, but have you booked? That is wedding season and Kahala is a prime wedding locale.

I'd do brunch at the Moana, Willows, or the Waioli Tea Room up in Manoa. All are good at group events ...I've gone to many baby parties, bridal parties, birthdays at these. Mariposa is also nice for big group brunches.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Anybody a member of a Yacht CLub? I would check to see if you can get reciprocal use of Outrigger Canoe Club..on Wakiiki, nice patio dining. Parking would be a challenge so I'd do Limos...
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 06:16 PM

I would also like to suggest the Willows. They are able to give you a private room and it works for either bruch or dinner. I also have found that Trelessis in the Prince Kuhio Hotel also has a good buffet where you are also able to have a private room.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:53 PM

I would suggest Willow's for your dinner - request a private room. I would do brunch at either the Banyan Terrace at the Moana Surfrider or Hoku's at the Kahala Mandarin. All are pricey but worth it. The food is excellent and the ambience wonderful. I agree that 3660 and Roys have excellent food but very noisy.
There is a new restaurant near Ala Moan called Shokudo. The food was very good but again pricey - everything was ala carte. It's very trendy and neat seating - the tables go up like stadium seats - I think they have a private room but I'm not sure. Good luck and congratulations!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:08 AM

OK, I'll throw my 2 cents in. How about brunch at Michel's? I am not super sure about a private area, but for such a large party you could surely request a beachside table.

I just got an idea for dinner the night before...you could check out Chaisislandbistro.com and contact him. He can cater a fixed menu to the second floor 'pod', which overlooks Honolulu Harbor and is awesome at sunset. The pod can be rented out for private parties and Chai does a good job.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies! I am now targetting 3 weekdays for the celebration--and juggling the suggested restaurants above. Will let you know what I end up with.

I want to also plan a surprise "other-island" overnight trip for the immediate family (14 multigenerational). I'm visualizing just an exploration of the island, and perhaps a nice casual dinner with outdoor torches, a bit of shopping?More of an island feel than Oahu of course. It can be a nice resort. No golfers in this group though.

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 06:30 PM

If you hurry & decide what island, you may be able to get the low airfares.

Aloha, Hawaiian and the new airline, Mesa or Go have fares for around $40.

Purchased by April 7 and fly between June 9 and September 30.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 09:08 PM

Vicki,

Check out the Grand Hyatt in Poipu on Kauai. We love it there. Their restaurant, Tidepools, is openair, with thatched roof next to a waterfall and koi fish pond.

http://kauai.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/...ants/index.jsp
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM

Dandy's advice was right-on! I also suggest Alan Wong's...top notch.
Old May 27th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

Just thought I'd do a follow up--Our wedding dinner is booked at the Kahala O Ke Kai room of the Kahala resort and hotel (kahala Mandarin before), wiht the dinner prepared by Hoku's. Then the very next day, just a very intimate dinner for only the (extended) family at Orchids at the Halekulani. Two days before, we have a "welcome barbecue" for the whole group (about 40) with a picnic at the park. That should all keep us pretty busy, and give us the 3 different atmospheres I was looking for. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:03 PM

What a wonderful choice you have made. Wish I was included in your party! Thanks for getting back to us. So often we wonder what people finally select. Happy 50th Anniversary to your parents!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! As the day is getting closer, and the wedding party is arriving in Honolulu, we have added 2 more fun events: Brunch at the Moana just for the extended family (24 people) the day before everyone flies out of Honolulu. Plus a chartered Waikiki Trolley tour for the same group on one free morning that we have.

We are trying to maximize the Hawaiian views for our photo ops.

This is all starting next week so if anyone has last minute suuggestions and tips, it will still be very appreciated. THANKS !