Search

Oahu Restaurant Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu Restaurant Recommendations

Hi

We are heading to Hawaii (at Turtle Bay on Oahu) next week for a week. We would really appreciate recommendations for good places to eat. It could be anything from a good coffee shop to a nice place for dinner. Would rather avoid chains (unless they are uniquely Hawaiian chains) and definately want some good Asian cuisine as well as some great seafood.

We will have a car and plan to do some touring around the island, so as long as it's on Oahu and has good food, we'd like to hear about it.

Thanks

Pamela
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The greatest concentration of restaurants is in Honolulu/Waikiki.

Since you are staying on the North Shore, I don't think there are practical suggestions really, even with a rental car. Unless you plan on making a day-trip out of going out to dinner

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 01:49 PM

Suze is right...Downtown or Waikiki will be a drive, but the best places are there. Indigo, in the downtown area, Some of the spots at Aloha Tower Market, Little Village for Chinese in Downtown, Legends, etc. Waikiki is a bit farther.

There are some decent little restaurants in the Kapolei center. Don't remember the names, but I've eaten at a few of them for lunch when out there and been happy.

Mililani, Aiea and Pearl City have some good spots, and are only half the way into Honolulu, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. I'll try to remember and post later.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Oops, I was thinking you were at Ihilani, so disregard the Kapolei tip! There are some decent places to eat in Haleiwa though...Jamesons, Kua Aina Burgers, Cholos Mexican, and others.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Lots of info. Many of the sites have restaurant reviews:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 03:24 AM

Make sure you have a shrimp plate lunch from one of the shrimp trucks. YUM YUM YUM! You will find them along the roadside in the north shore area.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi again

Thanks for the suggestions.

And no, I wouldn't drive to Honolulu just for dinner, but we will be doing a couple of driving tours around the island, going to the Bishop Museum, etc. and might stop for lunch or an early dinner there before heading back to the north side, so suggestions on any part of the island are appreciated.

Dusty56438 - thanks for the link - we printed out your wonderful write-ups so that we can have them with us at all times.

We live in an area of very limited diversity in cuisine, so when we travel we really appreciate the opportunity to sample a wide variety of foods.

Thanks again and let me know if you have any other suggestions

Pamela