Oahu and Kauai trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get so many great tips from this website! Thought I'd post my trip report and am happy to answer any questions about the places covered.
We went the end of Feb. and spent 2 nights in Oahu since we had trouble getting a connection to Kauai on the same day and I have been wanting to see Pearl Harbor. There was virtually no wait in SF to get through security, we just walked right through - we were surprised! They told us that they have their system down and rarely have long waits anymore. After that, trip started with a series of mix ups that continued throughout the trip (just one of those trips...) but generally had a favorable end. It started with boarding the plane at SFO with our seat assignments 'disappearing'. We had a strange booking through US AIR that connected in SFO with United. So our reservation was with US AIR, but the only plane we used was United, so we were not in United system for a seat assignment, even though I had received one through US AIR. I did save a lot of money on this particular flight - over $100 per ticket less than booking through United for the exact same flight. The plane was overbooked so we had to wait until final boarding to get our seat assignments and my husband had to sit in a different area from my son and me. Lots of headwinds, a late start and the flight was about an hour late. Once we got there, we tried to pick up our car at National. Had some trouble finding the rental car place since we walked instead of taking the shuttle (looked closer than it was) Short line, but a looong time processing each person. Finally we got our car - should be a fullsize, but it is obviously a compact. I sent my husband in to deal with it since I was more than a little frustrated, the line was now very long and I felt that he might be more civilized in his complaints. The agent told us that he ran out of fullsize cars ... there were numerous SUVs in the lot so we asked for one of those. He said no, they were more expensive- we pressed, he had a long line, and finally he said, ok, just take an SUV - handed us the car, no paperwork (!)...well, ok. Off to the hotel, tired, it's 10:00pm now, midnight our time. We pull up at the Hilton Hawaiian Village- it looks great, we're happy. I've reserved an oceanview room in the Rainbow tower. Our reservation is processed (very slowly- computer problem)and I look at it - it's a partial oceanview. I mention this and the clerk tries to fix it and mistakenly cancels our entire reservation. We're 3 for 3 on issues with reservations so far - plane, car, now hotel! Anyway she finally fixes it, gives us an upgrade to deluxe oceanview for our troubles and 40 min later, we are finally in our room. Very nice, beautiful oceanview, average bathroom, nice little bar area, balcony. We're happy.

Day 1: We get out to Pearl Harbor early - a must, particularly in busy times. We get a time for about 1 hr later to view the memorial and movie. We take the time to tour the museum, claustraphobically crowded at times. Then, its our turn, right on time. We see a great movie, then head out by boat to the memorial. You can stay at the memorial as long as you want. It's quiet and a good time for reflection. Then we headed back and over to the submarine memorial. We bought a package that included the submarine with an audio tour and the USS Missouri guided tour.The submarine tour and museum and was sentimental for me because my dad served on a sub in WW2 and was at Pearl Harbor when it was attacked. I can't recommend the guided tour on the USS Missouri enough. We had an excellent tour guide who made the events on the ship come to life for us. Don't do this tour without the guided tour! The tours took most of the day and we were a bit toured out at the end, especially our son (age 11).

Back to the hotel, down time around the pool, then dinner at the Golden Dragon. We had an excellent meal, although expensive meal. We ended with a walk down the beach on a very beautiful evening.
The next day was spent lounging by the pool, enjoying the wildlife, especially the adorable penquins, watching the preparations for a wedding on the grounds. There was a pool 'accident' that closed the pool for several hours - no desire to go back after that! There is a beautiful beach out front and lots of shops. We bought some great skateboard tshirts (great souvenir if you have pre-teen, or teen boys to buy for- the Volcom shirts had Hawaii specific themes). Also, an ukelele store that my husband loved and actually bought one to add to the collection - he thought that it was a good price. We tried to get a late check-out, but the hotel was completely sold out. As an alternative, they offered to book us a courtesy room for 1 hour, so that we could shower and change before leaving - you just need to reserve your hour in advance. I thought that was a nice alternative for people planning to spend their check out day at the hotel.

In the late afternoon, it was back to the airport to fly to Kauai on Aloha. We allowed plenty of time, not knowing what the crowds would be like. Once again, no crowds at all, but the plane was overbooked - we didn't notice the line and get in it quickly enough (seats are not assigned). We had to wait until they asked for volunteers to get off the plane before we could board (oh no, not again! Then we couldn't sit together. It worked out fine since it's just a 25 min flight. I'll give the Kauai trip report in another message.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:00 AM

Thank you for taking the time to give such a good trip report. I can't wait to hear about Kauai. You deserved some "smooth sailing" after all of that rigamarole. Something similar happened to me one time when I tried to use two different airlines to save money. I've been afraid to do it ever since...
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 03:07 AM

ellenbw - we are waiting for more. Thanks for the Oahu report you are very descriptive.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:35 AM

More! More!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:19 PM
iceeu2

Oh.........Ellenbw........we are waiting with baited breath!!
First part is great...please give us more!!

Old Mar 24th, 2004, 05:25 PM

I don't know if I can stand to hear more about Kauai - I'm in such bad withdrawls, I have the shakes!!!!!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 05:34 PM
gyppielou

Ouch Mellyz Ouch!!!! Hurts real bad. Not floating in my favorite north shore shades of green this past winter has me very cranky....please continue ellenbw and put some salt on our wounds.!!!!

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay, I got distracted and forgot to come back for awhile! First, I have to say that a month on Kauai would not be too much. 8 days left us wishing for more time and thinking about when we will come back to Kauai! Roosters everywhere, the beautiful mountain and oceanview, the large expanse of undeveloped area with that lush terrain..Sometimes I like to just stop the car and marvel at the wild beauty of this island.

We got there on a Sunday afternoon, beautiful weather. I went in search of the rental car while husband and son dealt with luggage, or normal M.O. since I am always the driver. The car booth is across the street from the aiport to process your paperwork. It is always interesting to overhear what everyone else is paying for a car. My trick is to use the Entertainment Card and coupon with National for Hawaii - although I always shop around, I always seem to get the best rate that way.The cars are off-site so I take the very full shuttle bus with some trepidation about what new 'surprise' awaits me. We get to the lot and the driver announces that they are out of mid and fullsize cars which nearly everyone on the bus ordered so he will be dropping us off in the SUV/Jeep/convertible area - everyone is free to pick whatever car they want. Wow! Good surprise! That was fun! I picked an SUV - practical for us, even though the convertible would have been fun ....

Then it's off to our condo, the Poipu Kapili. It is near the Sheraton. I know there is always discussion of North Shore beauty and South Shore weather, but in the winter, we chose weather as our determining factor in location. I'm glad we did because it rained a lot on the north shore and we had only night rain in the south. Plus there is plenty of beauty on the south shore! We have stayed here before and were quite pleased with the quality of the accomodations. We have a 2 bdrm townhouse, oceanfront (small road in front and short retaining wall). The condo was different from our last one, but beautiful and well maintained, nice furnishings and spacious. The view is fabulous - great sunsets from the patio, and we go sleep with the sliding door upstairs open, listening to the waves crashing around us. Yes, this is paradise!

We head out the 1st evening for a simple dinner at Tropical Burgers and a stop at Whalers village for a few breakfast supplies. We rarely go out to breakfast because we love our Hawaii condo breakfasts: Kona coffee, fresh island fruit (preferably from a fruit stand)some type of sugary cereal that my son never gets to have at home, and breakfast parfait supplies: yogurt, dried tropical fruit and granola. This has to be eaten outside, while admiring the view, sunrise if we're up early enough,then lingering to scan the horizon for migrating whales. Now that's a breakfast! Whoops, out of time, got to go do carpool, I'll post again soon with restaurant etc. recommendations.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I'm back with the 3rd and hopefully final installment: I won't give you a day by day, that could get to be a tedious read, but here are some of our highlights and lowlights:
As far as restaurants go, our favorites were Pacific Cafe and Roys: Pacific Cafe: the best seafood! I had the firecracker appetizer - especially wonderful! My husband had a seafood tasting menu that was amazing. There is an option to have a wine sampling menu that goes with the tasting menu - that was wonderful, too - it's a lot of generous samples though, have someone else drive!.
Roys: We also enjoyed Roys, always fresh and creatively 'arranged'. We love grazing on their appetizer menu, too. They also have a good children's menu with several courses and healthier options than the usual. I think it was $12. Roys is in a shopping center at Poipu and can get somewhat stuffy if the tradewinds take a break. Their chocolate lava dessert was amazing as usual. Great for sharing as it is very rich. Watch out though, it is very hot.

Beach House: This was our one fancy dining dissappointment. Same feeling the last time we vacationed in Kauai,6 yrs ago. I know that most everyone loves this place, but I am 2 for 2 in thinking that it's over-rated and over-priced. What they have going for it is the view, of course. I must say that the night that we were there on this trip, the sunset was especially beautiful and it was punctuated with a couple of whales frolicking in the distance. With a mai tai in hand - now that's a way to have a sunset!! The appetizers were great, the meal was good, and the dessert was bad. Their signature dessert, chocolate souffle was very dry with a bit of a burned taste --I should have sent it back. For $10, I expect great! They had a children's menu, too, I think it was in the $10-$15 range. The servers seemed over extended and drinks were backed up, orders had to be repeated, etc. Not smooth and professional like our Roys and Pacific Cafe experiences.

We went to the Big Save in Koloa for most of our groceries. They had a sushi maker there with very fresh selections and ahi poke in the deli and very nice customer service as well. I missed the farmers markets on Kauai this time - my timing was off on them. There was a small produce stand in Poipu, on the road to Koloa. They had some lichee and other exotic fruits in addition to the usual wonderful papayas, corn and lettuces.

Activities: We spent a whole lot of time relaxing on Poipu Beach (in front of the Sheraton and Kiahuna plantation), just enjoying the sun, water and sand, reading good books and trying not to get sunburned. My son spent a lot of time boogie boarding and skim boarding --which looks to me like trying to fly on your boogie board and failing that, trying to not get seriously injured when you crash land. A few tips here -learned through experience - wear a t-shirt or water shirt while boogie boarding - your skin can get pretty raw without one - also, replinish your sun screen while boogie boarding! You don't notice the sun exposure while you're out there having fun. Our condo came equipped with beach chairs, umbrella, ice chest and boogie boards, so that was a nice convenience. However, we didn't notice the closet that kept these items until we had already rented a boogie board one day. For rentals, if you are at Poipu Beach, there is an activity hut at the beach, run by the Kiahuna Plantation. They will rent boogie boards to non-guests (with a credit card deposit) for $5 a day or $20 per week. I thought that was a pretty good deal and quite convenient.

My son took a surf lesson from Margo's Surf School. The surf lesson was a big disappointment, especially after having an excellent lesson from Goofy Foot Surfing on Maui last year. The 2 hour lesson was about 20 min of land instruction and then the instructor sent the 2 kids in the class off to practice and never checked back in on them and left them in the ocean totally unsupervised. Another 3 people had shown up late for the lesson, so he went into their land instruction. My husband had planned to just drop our son off and return to pick him up, but when he saw how the lesson was going, he stayed to keep an eye on the kids in the water. Once the late group was launched the instructor was basically done with them, no coaching in the water, advice, nothing. Not what was described over the phone when I arranged the lesson! Some friends of our took lessons with Margo's that same week and had a great experience with another instructor, so maybe it was just had a poorly trained one, but I certainly wouldn't go back there. We also did some snorkling at Poipu Beach Park, about a mile away near Brennekes.
Hikes: We planned on doing several hikes, but the beach kept calling to us. We did one really fun one though, up near Kapaa, Ho'opi'i falls hike, listed in Ultimate Kauai. We picked up lunch to go at the Country Moon Juice Bar (great little stand on hwy 56, smoothies, cookies, fresh fruits, too). and took the lunch on our hike. The 1st falls were gorgeous, but it started to rain and it was very muddy and slippery, so we didn't make it to the 2nd falls. We had hoped to spend time in Princeville and Hanalei that day, but it was too wet. It continued to rain until we got to Poipu, sunny and wonderful! Another day we were about to set off for the northern part of the island, but when we inquired at our condo office about the weather in the Princeville area, they called up there and told us that there was a big storm. Since it was sunny and dry in our area, we took off for the beach instead.
We went to Gloria's Spouting Horn several times since it was close by - in fact it made for a nice long walk. Chickens and roosters and chicks everywhere and many booths selling freshwater pearls and various souvenirs. Once when we drove there to look over the booths, a whole extended family of chickens had taken over the road. I was afraid of hitting them, so my husband got out a shooed them across the road. Several locals thought this was hilarious and told us that we couldn't hit them if we tried - the chickens are very car savvy.
We also went to Waimea Canyon on a beautiful sunny day - this trip has been fogged out for us on previous trips to Kauai, so we were thrilled to see the canyon on such a clear gorgeous day. We timed the canyon visit with Waimea town fair day. There was entertainment, crafts booths, local food, friendly people, hot sun! We also made a pilgrimage to JoJos shave ice - oh yes, it is great!!! Get the kind with some ice cream on the bottom. If I were staying in Waimea, I would have to stop here every day!

Our trip home came too soon but was uneventful. The Lihue airport had a very long line to get through security and get checked in - much longer than expected and we started to worry about the timing, even though we arrived over 1.5 hrs before the flight. It all worked out though, and I can't wait for our next trip! Hope we get to spend some time in Hanalei next time! I'm happy to answer any questions.

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 06:43 PM

ellenbw -- Nice trip report. The condo sounds nice; I will keep that in mind for our next trip.

I'm happy to be able to commiserate with someone else who had to dodge chickens on the road in Kauai!
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 06:15 PM

I'm so happy to read this report! My fiance and I have just booked our honeymoon to Kauai -- we'll be in an oceanfront room at the Sheraton for a week. I can't seem to stop reading EVERYTHING I can find about Kauai, and your review is quite informative!
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 04:39 AM

I don't believe I've heard a nice word about the Beach House on these site in months. Is this the only oceanside (higherend) restuartant to want the sunset? We want to have our "pre-wedding" night dinner (only the 2 of us) somewhere special on the southshore and had thought Beach House would be the place - but I'm beginning to worry about our choice. We're staying at the Hyatt. Should we pick one of their restuarants instead?
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 06:12 AM

Tidepools gets very good reviews and sunset views. Ask for a table over the lagoon or next to the waterfall.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 06:14 AM

Wait. Correct me if I'm wrong about the sunset view. I know the setting is lovely...
Auntiemaria, help!
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 06:49 AM

Maybe we can take a walk along the beach at sunset and then go in to eat dinner afterwars. Or eat early since we will still be on Eastern time and then take a sunset walk afterwards. I was really looking forward to the Beach House, but no one seems to be happy with it lately.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 04:04 PM

Well we had an absolutely fantastic meal in December at Beach House. Food was wonderful, as was service. I expect alot from upscale dining establishments, and I wasn't disappointed. But, I must add that the best dinner was that mambo seafood enchilada at La Playita Azul.........